Maui Condo - Sugar Beach, Kihei Surfside or similar

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be in Maui for up to 7 nights in late February 2012 after a week on Hawaii. We're looking for a nice ocean-front 1 bedroom condo, and preliminary research suggests that the Sugar Beach Resort and Kihei Beach (same as Kihei Surfside?) would meet our wish for a low-rise, non-resorty stay on the beach. Any comments on these two places (including whether to rent from owners or agents or direct) or suggestions for altenatives. Thanks in advance for all the great advice we get from this forum.
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 02:40 PM

Don't do Sugar Beach; it's windier than elsewhere, and is positioned to receive direct outflow (ugh) from irrigation fields, etc.
Anything farther south will be better; there are many condo complexes across from Kamaole Beach Parks I, II, and III. Here are three in a row (south to north order):
Maui Kamaole
Hale Kamaole
Kamole Sands
These are reasonable, with nice amenities and landscaping, and lots of availability from VRBO owners (work a deal!).
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 02:44 PM

p.s. Surfside has really nice views (and an esp. nice restaurant for sunset suppers), but it is rocky on the right (as you look at the ocean), and you have to walk a wee bit to the (fab) beach on the left.
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 10:25 PM

Kihei Beach condo complex in N. Kihei is not the same as Kihei Surfside, which is at the very south end of Kihei. Both of these properties an well as Sugar Beach Resort are direct oceanfront. The others recommended are all across Kihei Road.

I stayed in S. Kihei for many years but now base myself in either No. Kihei or Maalaea where I can still afford to stay ocean or beachfront. In many visits no problems with odors, outflow, bugs, etc. It is often windy mid-day, but that's when we do our day trips or shopping. We like the convenient location almost as well as we like the budget-friendly prices.
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 06:28 PM

I have stayed at Sugar Beach several times. I like it and here is why....
The price is right
You are in a great location easy to go N or S or head to the airport
Ocean Front is really on the ocean and you can easily see the whales during the season
There is several miles of beach to walk
I love to BBQ in the evening and watch the sunset and they have 5 gas grills right there by the beach
they have a little local bar on the property
A small store for snacks or drinks and ice
tennis courts
when you drive up to the propery you are going to say where in the hell am I = then you see everything is facing the water
Pool and Jacuzzi is set so you can se the beach and are only 15 steps from the beach
Rooms are nice and I see many have been remodeled
This is not a huge glamorous resort. It's nice, clean, quiet for the most part, smaller so fewer people.
I like that. If you want the big resort this is not it.
I will be there in October and am booking here again!!
I hope this helps ALOHA and enjoy your trip!!
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 06:31 PM

PS: the afternoon trade winds alway come up and I don't feel this is any more or less windy. That's my feeling. And it's not cold and actually feels good then the winds calm and you walk the beach in the evening too.
Hope this helps
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 09:11 PM

I am also looking for a rental in Kihei from Dec 3. Can someone comment on the Maui Vista Condo Beach complex? Any specific condo complexes or other accommodations in Kihei that you had good experience with? We will be there for 6 nights, rent a car and tour the island. So the beach is not all that important. Thanks.
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 07:07 AM

Wind is a problem for me (mild asthma). Often the wind blows straight down the valley from Kahului andout over Maalaea Bay. Where cane has been harvested in the valley, the wind will pick up red dirt and pesticides. Winter tends to be windier anyway. Both Maalaea and Sugar Beach are more 'stand alone/remote' than I like.

The OP needs to get *something* pinned down FAST! Start with your rental car. Our condo complex (Maui Kamaole) is always 100% sold out between mid-January and April. People book more than a year in advance. You aren't apt to find any condo owners doing discounts then. Look for low-rise, low-density in South Kihei and Wailea. Good luck!

Suzanna -- Maui Vista is OK, at the north end of the condos using the Kamaole Beach Parks. Good value. Not many 'view' condos. Your timing is the opposite of the OP's. You are coming in the lowest-cost season of the year (early December dates) and should get big discounts on car, air, condo. Look at nicer condos and ask for discounts. You could get farther south, even beachfront, for bargain rates.

Everyone -- This site has aerials and reviews of most Hawaiian lodgings: www.hawaiirevealed.com (They quote 'rack rates'; few pay that much except in high season.)

I've never found a 'dog' in the listings on this site for South Maui condos: www.mauiownercondos.com
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 07:51 AM

ChiSue, thanks for the extremely useful answer and the links. I didn't realize that the posted prices are negotiable.... Is Kahaule Makai, also known as "Village by the Sea" in the North or is it central? Any comments re. this resort?
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 07:31 AM

Kauhale Makai is in North Kihei. It's confusing because almost the entire length of Kihei Road is called South Kihei Road. (Only a tiny portion is North Kihei Road.) This is a decent condo, as are Maui Sunset and Lauana Kai. The swimming isn't good due to seaweed -- more of a walking beach from Kauhaule Makai towards Sugar Beach. These are not 'walk to anything' locations. Best beaches are the three Kamaole Beach Parks. Look at Maui Vista and go south on into Wailea.

Kihei is a long strip, north to south, along the ocean. North and Central have more of a 'residential' feel. Kihei is a real town with working people who need banks, drug stores, groceries, hardware, fast food, etc. South Kihei is more tourist-oriented.

What size condo do you need? What's the lodging budget? You might start a post with that information; people could be more helpful. BTW, your best deals for condos are full-week deals.
What is you whole itinerary for Hawaii? Three islands -- including BIG Island -- is a lot for two weeks.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 09:27 PM

Thanks, ChiSue. Very helpful re. where to look as far as location goes in Kihei.I will start another thread with more specifics about what I know to-date and some questions.