Need opinion on hotel in Maui - Aston at Papakea Resort

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family will be staying on Maui in Dec. We are scheduled to stay at the Papakea Resort.How is the condo, location to beaches, and things to do and see on Maui. Any advice on things we must see and do. Thanks kiz4
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 01:40 PM

Good condo - no beach directly in front.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 04:41 AM

Beach is not very good but nice beaches near by so big deal. Have you read thru this site for activities, if not you should.

So here are some high lights. 1. beaches of wailia area good snorkleing, beach of kannapalli in front of sheraton the best for snorleing and calm water, spend the whole day here lots of restaurants and a nice shoping area with fast food, with lots of activity for all. Road to hana ,drive all the way arround ,all day affair so bring food for 2-3 meals( very little on road-if any ). Take a snorkle trip big boat to molikini and turtle ridge. Drive up the volcano very early for sun rise view or do a bike down trip( kind of costly). Spend the evening in Lahinia and eat at some place near the water burgers etc. and watch the sunset. Aston usually gives 2 for 1 luau ticketts so use them and go the feast at lele in the hyatt hotel it is very nice. Have a great trip. nick
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 04:58 AM

Beach is not very good is not quite accurate. There is no beach !!! I don't understand why anyone would rent a condo that is not beachfront when they can have beautiful beachfront for the same price.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 05:08 AM

kiz4

We stayed at Papakea in Februrary and absoloutely LOVED this condo property.
Don't listen to the negative opinions. This property is directly on the ocean. One thing I LOVED about the Papekea was the barbecue grill on site. Every night they were taken, so get there early if you want to barbecue around 6:00 p.m. Our oceanview condo was VERY nice. I've stayed at the Aston Kaanapali shores and Papekea and honestly, would rather stay at the Papakea. Less crowded. More privacy. They have 2 pools. No restaurant. Location is great. Grocery store right across the street. Also, you have access to the Aston Kaanapali Shores next door for use of there restaurant, beach, arcade or fitness room. They are sister properties. It's within walking distance. You can still layout for some sun at Papakea. Heck, I seen people jump right into the water even though there is no sandy beach. Papakea also has tennis courts.Staff was very friendly!! I would go for it! Remember you can use the Aston Kaanapali Shores next door. If you have anymore questions, let me know.
Have fun!!
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 05:45 AM

kiz4, to answer your questions:

1. The Papakea condo is good, but not luxurious. This is part of what the book Maui Revealed has to say about the Papakea:
"If you like cats, you'll love it here. There are numerous wild cats living on the property. The rack rate seems much higher than what it's worth, hope you got a better deal. Studios are $170-$270, 1/1s are $195-$320, 2/2s are $270-$425."

2. The condo has no beach. You can walk a few hundred feet south along the shore to get to a sandy beach, but the beach along this whole area is not very good. There are great beaches within three to five miles (Kaanapali, Kapalua, Napili).

3. There is not a lot to do and see in the immediate area. It is essential to have a car (to go to Kaanapali, Lahaiana, etc). This part of Maui is a quiet area, but it is not "close to the action".

Finally, never take advice from anyone who tells you that "We loved xxxx, so you will love it too". Ask WHY people liked a cetain place or thing, and then decide if you like the same things. For example, to be on a beach is not necessary for some, while it is essential for others.