Search

Lahaina Shores Beach Resort/Maui Prince

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:04 AM
CPT
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lahaina Shores Beach Resort/Maui Prince

We are booked for five nights at the Maui Prince after a five night stay at Pali K Kua (Princeville) in Kauai. At first, we thought this would be the right choice, however, after calculating everything, the air (from east coast) and the inter island flighst are already running us about $1100 per person. We have decided to opt for a less expensive condo in Maui. Because we have already locked in the deal with Liberty, we can only choose through their list of hotels. Through Maui Revealed, I saw that Lahaina Shores Beach Resort has a "real gem" logo next to it. The price is extremely affordable. Of course it is not comparable to Maui Prince, but we are ok with that knowing we have already planned all out door activities everyday. Can someone tell me a little more about this condo. The location seems great and tripadvisor forum gave very good reviews. I just want to double check with the experienced travelers on this board. If we are making a huge mistake, we rather know now than when we get there. The price difference is about 40% less. Thanks a lot for your help.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:29 AM

The Lahains Shores is right next to 505 Front Street. My husband's favorite place to go on the weekends to watch a game is the bar at Hecock's restaurant. When you sit at the bar at Heckocks you look out on the pool of the Lahaina Shores Resort. I have never stayed here, but many times we have sat at Heckocks and commented on how wonderful the pool and beach area loo. While I cannot comment first-hand on the rooms themselves, we have spoken with many people who were staying there and not once have we heard a negative remark.

The LSB Resort is completelty different from the Maui Prince. They in two totally different locations. The LSBR is on the edge of Lahaina Town, and you will have many dining, sight-seeing and entertainment options within walking distance. There are many moderately priced restaurants from which to choose nearby. Right next door at 505 are many of my favorite places, including I`O and Pacific`O (both upscale, but worth the money), and the aforementioned Hecocks. A very little-known secret about Hecocks is that it's dining room overlooks the Feat at Lele, and you can eat along the rail at Hecocks and watch the show at FaL. We actually saw a good portion of the show last week, while having pupus. I doubt I would pay $98 for it, but it was a great value-added bonus with our pupus.

You also have a very nicely-protected swimming beach right there. The pool is small, by resort standards, but it is right on the beach, is crystal clear and looks so inviting. I have often said that if I was coming to visit, I would want to stay there.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:57 AM
CPT
Original Poster

Thank you. I have been reading a lot of postings from you on Hawaii. I am very happy to see that you have re-assure me that I am not insane. We are going to call Liberty and ask for that hotel instead. We figured we will be out everyday, and why spent the money on the beautful pool when we have the ocean. Thanks for your advises on other postings as well, espeically on good restaurants in Maui. =)
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:09 PM

Don't expect too much of the Lahaina Shores. It is a modest property, located in a busy area. The rooms facing the street can be very noisy, especially on weekends because of the nearby bars. The beach is virtually not swimmable because of coral.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:03 PM

I swam there just last Friday, Rusty. Well, technically I floated around on a pool raft, but that was all I had in mind for pau hana time anyway! If you walk a few feet over, in front of 505 and the park the beach gets wider and less rocky. It's a nice gentle surfing spot as well, good for learners. We often go there when we just want to float around and avoid the beach crowds.

Nearly everything in Lahaina Town is on the other side of Prison Street. By the time you get out to Front and Show, where Lahaina Shores is, you are pretty much out of town. The property is not across from any bars, but is next to 505 Front Street. 505 has restaurants and shops, but is not a late night party place. And I would not be too concerned with late night partiers, because by 9 pm it is pretty quiet. The free public parking lot is adjacent, but, again by 8 or 9 it is nearly empty, and to get Lahaina Shore from there you have to walk away from town, past King Kamehameha III School, past Kamehamehaiki Park and past 505 Front Street, so it is unlikely that you will be getting much residual foot traffic.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:39 PM

Here Today, you are on Maui and your information is generally pretty accurate. My experience is a year old but I doubt that the beach has changed and it is not swimmable in front of Lahaina Shores and even as you move further north toward 505 front Street it is not much of a beach. As a matter of fact most guide books state that there are NO beaches in Lahaina which is not entirley accurate (but close). There was a bar on the front of 505 right on the street (maybe it is not there anymore) and it was very noisy with rowdy drunks walking the streets until midnight.

In any case my opinion is that Lahaina Shores is an OK place but far from great. Being in a town is not my idea of a Maui vacation and if being on (or near) a great beach is important to you it is not the place to be. However, if bars, restaurants, shopping, and nightlife are a priority it is a good location

Here Today, keep the information flowing. It is great to have someone reporting live from Maui.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:34 PM

The beach in front of the Prince is excellent and of course you've got golf right there too if you're into "pasture pool"
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 07:18 AM

I wouldn't call the Lahaina Shores a "real gem". I'd call it a less than 3 star resort, in a so-so location, with a popular bar next door. (As well as the Feast at LeLe which runs 5 nights a week at 505 Front Street - right next door). It can be very noisy at times, and you'll definitely have to drive to go to a decent beach. If you want to try something less expensive, yet nice, try the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. They've been given numerous awards as the most Hawaiian of all the hotels in the islands. Not a lot a glitz and glamour, but for a 3 star hotel they have a wonderful staff, and nice accommodations.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 10:18 AM

Second kamahinaohoku's suggestion for the Kaanapali Beach Hotel! Great location and a good deal for the $$.You might want to look into a moderate property in Kihei. There have been some great posts recently about the Kihei Surfside. Have a great trip!