La Jolla collapse

Old Oct 5th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
La Jolla collapse

Anyone affected by the street collapse.

Where exactly is it as one shot on the news looked like I-5 in the background.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 12:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's a link to our local paper, the San Diego Union-Tribune. If you scroll down, the landslide info is towards the bottom of the page. There's a link to a map of the location.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...-1n5slide.html
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 12:24 PM

5700 block of Soledad Mountain Road.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 12:58 PM
TahitiTams

Aloha hulajake..
I live in La Jolla but at the beach..
The landslide is 5700 block of Soledad Mountain rd and the road below, Desert View.
It really is very sad since insurance does not cover for landslides, unless you purchase it and runs about $10k a year!
It's at the top near Mt. Soledad Park.

Old Oct 5th, 2007, 02:22 PM

I use to go there as a kid. Mt Soledad, was quite the spot. There use to be a cross (+) at the top. It was a gorgeous view as well. Good ole Mt.Soledad!! Those were the days my friends. Sorry to hear the news.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 02:50 PM
TahitiTams

Hi diann..
Still has the cross and it will always be a good kissing spot!

Old Oct 5th, 2007, 03:11 PM

TT, do you have any idea if nanabee lives in the slide area?
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 03:35 PM

Hi Barbara:
Thanks so much for asking.
I live in Bird Rock so we are not affected.
I am so sad for the people who are - Tahiti Tams brought up insurance and I'm sure she is correct that most people don't have insurance that covers such an event.

The Ingraham Street bridge near Sea World was shut down yesterday ( I believe it was) due to a water main
break. That caused quite a lot of traffic in and out of the beach area.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 03:48 PM

Insurance companies stopped covering earth movement a couple of decades ago. Now, if you want to insure for earth movement it costs about $10K per year, as TT said, plus there's a 10% Deductible. Don't you wonder why homeowners' insurance is so expensive as it doesn't seem to cover much any more! it can only be a matter of time until they exclude fire too!
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 04:16 PM
TahitiTams

Hi Barbara and nanabee..
They are stating on the news that residents in that area had to sign a 'disclaimer' for landslides..
How can anyone pay $10k a year, plus your homeowners insurance too.
It's just a matter of time for the insurance companies adding 'Fire' policy too..
I just feel so bad for those who lost their home and their insurance will not cover a dime of it.
That is why they are getting their attorneys in order and I don't blame them.
I pray for the people that this has happened too!

Old Oct 5th, 2007, 06:13 PM

"How can anyone pay $10k a year, plus your homeowners insurance too."

I am sure there are some exceptions but people living in la jolla homes can afford to pay 10k a year for insurance. They choose to put it in their investments, BMWs and other things.

As you know, La Jolla is one of the richest communities in the world.

terrible tragedy but people that live on mountain sides with out proper insurance are asking for trouble.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like the flood insurance along the gulf that doesn't cover storm surge or wind damage. Whether or not they can afford it at those prices very few don't say ouch.
It's good to hear those that post here are ok TT you take care mahalo.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 07:41 PM

Pretty straight forward to me. Insurance rate is high because the risk is high. Now, one can:

- Pay the premium
- Move
- Take a chance

There are plenty of places in the world one can live. No one forces anybody to live on the coast in La Jolla.

Same here on the Gulf Coast. I see million-dollar beach houses feet from the ocean with no sea wall. I certainly don't feel sorry for anybody losing that house in a hurricane, and I don't feel sorry for anybody paying high insurance for it.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 08:37 PM

La Jolla is a pricey real estate area, however, many of the homeowners on Mt. Soledad are retired or young families. Mt. Soldad Rd. homes are track homes that were built in the 60's and most of the people who live there are not super wealthy. They are middle class like most of us. There is nothing unusual living on a hill, but what is sad, is that when the city allowed the land to be graded for homes, the job was probably not done well. Also old underground pipes have been a big problem in San Diego especially when they leak and cause erosion. The city has put off replacing them for years.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 11:00 PM

Ray- This collapse was miles from the nearest beach! It is on a very well developed hill..most of the homes are on level pads..not the sort of steep hill where homes are built on stilts or anything. What they call a mountain in San Diego would be called a hill in most parts of the country.

Many of my friends lived here when I was in high school. We would ride our bikes from the beach to their homes, so it was not a particularly steep hill.

I'm guessing that underground plumbing leaks will end up being the cause....that's what happened in my neighborhood a few decades ago.

What a nightmare for the homeowners!
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 05:13 AM

lcuy - Sorry, and I was generalizing. But this area is on top of a hill, and from what I understand, about 300 ft higher than I-5 underneath.

Okay, so it's not a steep cliff; but perhaps the hilltop is not the best place to build houses as well?

But my point is mostly about the high insurance premium. At least the insurance companies realize it's high risk - and that probably means millions of houses in California.

Anyways, when I visit CA and see all these mansions on the hillside, the first things that come to mind are wildfires and landslides.

But I'll admit, a lot of it is just jealousy...
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 07:51 AM

rkkwan, many of the houses on Soledad Mountain Road are far from mansions. The original homes were typical California ranch-style houses. Some have been extended in recent years, probably unwisely. I don't think any of them are amongst the damaged properties.

Insurance companies stopped covering earth movement years ago because they lost a lot of money in another State. It's not because earth movement is more likely to occur in California. They don't cover it anywhere.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 08:01 AM

Okay, I stand corrected. You see, it's my jealousy taking over my thoughts...
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 08:14 AM
TahitiTams

rkkwan..LOL