La Jolla / Laguna Beach?

Search

La Jolla / Laguna Beach?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
La Jolla / Laguna Beach?

My wife and I have a couple of extra days following a conference in San Diego. We are trying to decide whether to spend it in La Jolla or Laguna Beach. Questions :
1. Which do you prefer?
2. Driving time from SD to LB?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 10:53 AM

La Jolla is a neighborhood of San Diego, so you're not leaving town technically. I love La Jolla-- beautiful little town, especially La Jolla Village and its coves and beach town feel.

Laguna Beach is roughly an hour north of San Diego and a tiny bit earthier in feel. Laguna has maintained a reputation as an artists' community, and it's teeming with galleries and funky shops and the like, while also being an expensive beachfront community. If I had to make a decision, I'd go with Laguna for the arts angle as well as simple convenience-- I live just up the coast in Long Beach. However, is it worth the hour's drive when you're in San Diego and you haven't been to La Jolla? Not really. Take the few days and rest in beautiful La Jolla. Who needs to do that schlepp up the I-5, anyway?!
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 11:19 AM

They are both nice. I prefer Laguna for it's "artsiness", a little more personality, but like rjw said, don't know if it's worth the drive (although it's only an hour).

If you stay in La Jolla, check out the Grande Colonial for lodging, great location and look, and their restaurant Nine Ten.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 01:57 PM
ltt

if you have time off during the conference, you could go see la jolla then. go walk along the cove for a sunset and there are plenty of restaurants to choose from. la jolla is just part of san diego so if there were things you still wanted to do in san diego, this would be most convenient.
i love laguna beach but usually only go up there for a day to waunder the beach, galleries and have dinner. outside of that, i don't think there's much to do there. if i wanted a very relaxing, romantic couple of days, i'd go here. there are absolutly beautiful homes here so you can go waunder the streets too.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 01:08 PM

Another vote for the Grande Colonial. There is a really ugly highrise between the GC and the water (city fathers dropped the ball on that one!), creating partial blockage of view, so the rates are lower than its neighbor, the overhyped (IMHO) LaValencia. However, water views are available. Just make sure you get a higher floor. This will also help ensure that you are not bother by street noise. There are many good restaurants in the area, and as Frankie mentioned, Nine Ten is one of them. Good breakfasts as well as an excellent dinner menu, including a couple of tasting selections.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 01:34 PM

Anyone know about how much you can get the Grand Colonial for a night?
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 01:47 PM

RJ gives the perfect description, but i wanted to add one thing. We have stayed in both la jolla and laguna beach, both are indeed beautiful & very special. I think it depends on what you're looking for.

IMO, la jolla is a cool little town, great shopping, sea lion cove etc. but thats just it - it's just another cool, oceanfront town. IMO laguna beach has so much more, as it's truly a slice of paradise. You will definitely feel like you're away from it all...and on vacation! Love la jolla but we left our hearts in laguna beach!
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 02:17 PM

Heavens: A long time ago, I got a conference rate at the Grande Colonial for about $109. I'm guessing that racks rates now will start at $200. But I bet you can find some deals, especially if you call the hotel directly. It's more "Big City" in feel, but the rooms are comfortable and that restaurant is sublime.

Ellen: I'm so happy you love Laguna Beach. I do too. If I could find a job down there, I'd move in a heartbeat. The project for me right now is to get tickets to the Pageant of the Masters (ALL good seats are sold out for this summer, and have been since mid-January!!!)....
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 04:01 PM

Either would be fine for just a couple days. The beaches at both places are gorgeous. I'd probably reccomend Laguna over La Jolla because Laguna is its own cool little town, while La Jolla is part of San Diego.