Search

La Jolla San Diego - where to stay?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
La Jolla San Diego - where to stay?

Hi All,

We are planning a girl's trip for 6-8 twenty-something's to San Diego next spring break. I think we've narrowed down the neighbourhood we'd like to stay in (La Jolla) as we want to be closer to the beach ..

However, I'm a bit confused between the different areas in La Jolla (Bird Rock, La Jolla Shores, La Jolla Village)

Ideally, we'd like to be walking distance to restaurants, shops, nightlife and the beach! Too much to ask?? If so, then we'd be willing to drive out to a nicer beach if necessary.. trying to find the best compromise for accommodations on VRBO.

Many thanks for your help!
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 04:30 AM

You might want to look into Pacific Beach or Mission Beach, both those areas have everything you are looking for and that is where the 20 somethings like to be.
La Jolla is very nice but if you want to be right on a beach it would be La Jolla Shores and there are some shops restaurants in walking distance i do not think there is much night life there.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 06:45 AM

Joey is right. You don't want to be in La Jolla, although you might want to visit it if you like and can afford high-end shopping.
Pacific Beach or Mission Beach are the areas for spring break.
I don't want to be a downer, and maybe this doesn't matter, but you can no longer drink on the beach in San Diego. There are plenty of nearby bars, of course.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 07:29 AM

I have to agree with the posts above. La Jolla is cool but doesn't have the nightlife, cool shops and tons of restaurants like PB or Mission Beach. La Jolla is a bit stuffier. If I were you I would check out PB and MB and I think you will find everything you need there

Hill
www.edufire.com
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's replies. I guess I will look into Pacific/Mission Beach. I looked briefly at some reviews, and it sounded like it wasn't as "nice" an area as La Jolla.
We would like to be able to go out and party some nights (probably just on the Fri/Sat night) and we were thinking we would probably go out to Gaslamp or DT San Diego for that.
I'm trying to find a place to stay similar to Lahaina in Maui - "mellow" nightlife.. that has shops and restaurants open past 10 pm. Does PB or MB have any main streets that we should try to stay close to?

Thanks again!
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 01:15 PM

I am not familiar with the area of Maui that you describe but I am a little baffled by the replies you have received. While it is true that you would not associate LJ with "nightlife", it is a beautiful place with wonderful shops and restaurants. The sea coast there is both breathtakingly lovely and very accessible.

I think it it the "spring break" part that may be making some think that you are looking for wet t-shirt, "girls gone wild" type experiences, but do not let the above replies dissuade you.

If you are still considering it, try to get a good map of the city/town. We spent a month there in '85 and if I remember correctly, La Jolla Village is way inland...but I may not be remembering.....Good luck.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 01:19 PM

PS....just noticed your "past 10" detail.....probably not too many places in La Jolla fall into that category.....
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 01:25 PM

LaJolla is so beautiful. I don't see why you couldn't stay there and then go into PB or MB for the night life. They are not that far apart.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I think it's probably the spring break part that brought on the wrong image! It just happens that's the best time for us to all go on vacation.. we're really a bit too old for any beer drinking beach parties I've looked on google maps, even the street views of La Jolla (love the street view features).. but between Bird Rock, La Jolla Shores and La Jolla Village, I can't seem to figure out which neighbourhood is the best compromise for what we're looking for.. it looks like La Jolla Village has a boardwalk along the beach, but La Jolla Shores has the great beach but not as much restaurants/shops, and Bird Rock..??
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 02:32 PM

Also consider Ocean Beach,Newport Ave has lots of night life,it is more concentrated then PB or MB. Also suggest you go to google maps and do a street view of the area you might want to stay in.Also Ocean Beach web cam gives you a nice beach view.Oh you might give Coronado a thought also you might see a SEAL (US Navy type)
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 02:41 PM

I went there a couple of years ago and stayed in La Jolla at the Grande Colonial hotel.
http://www.thegrandecolonial.com/
It was very convenient for walking to shops and restaurants. We didn't use our car except when we went to San Diego and Temecula. It was a great hotel and I highly recommend it!
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 02:53 PM

i didn't say Pacific Beach or Mission Beach for the Spring Break girls gone wild, i suggested that area cause you wanted BEACH, shops, nightlife, restaurants in walking distance. You will get a much greater variety of this including beach in Pacific or Mission. If you want coves and cliffs which is what you will have in the downtown part of La Jolla then you could also have shops, restaurants and night life. La Shores has a beautiful sandy beach but you are more limited in your other requirements.

Mission Blvd is the main street that goes through pacific and mission beach, paralleling the ocean. Garnet Ave is another main street with shops, restaurants etc.

i haven't been to Maui but i've been to other parts of hawaii and i'm sorry to say that San Diego is much to large a city to be similar to hawaii.
Really either or any of these communities are really nice and i'm sure you will have fun which ever one you pick.

and do go to the gaslamp for the nightlife.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 03:47 PM

Sounds like you might like La Jolla better than PB or Mission Beach. It's definitely more upscale. I do think La Jolla is one of the most beautiful cities around.

However you mentioned being by the beach. You do realize that San Diego is not very warm during Spring Break time especially if Spring Break is in March. In fact we can get rain during that time (or we hope we'll get some rain!) Yes there can be some warm beautiful days but also can be chilly and breezy. Most of the time it's not sunbathing weather. So as long as you just want that ocean view, La Jolla would be perfect. La Jolla Shores is really the only place in La Jolla that has a sandy area, the rest is rocky with beautiful coves. The weather certainly would be nice enough to walk along the beach.

If you are going to party in the Gaslamp area that I think staying in La Jolla would be a nice change of pace. Just keep in mind that you will have to drive back and forth between downtown San Diego and La Jolla. So drinking and driving might be an issue.

You mentioned you were looking at VRBO. If you find any places that look good to you, send us the link and we can let you know about the neighborhood.

Another possibility would be to stay on Coronado. Lots of nice beach area and a little closer to downtown San Diego. Things close down pretty early in Coronado, though.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 04:32 PM

Here are a couple of thoughts...

Tower 23 Hotel right on Mission Beach at Lifeguard Tower 23.
Really young, hip crowd, great bar and restaurant..only a couple of years old. Nice balcony on the beach/ocean. Easy drive to La Jolla or downtown GAslamp.

www.tower23hotel.com

Other option is Hotel Del Coronado.

Lease one of the Beachfront villas or cottages. (Not many people know about them but you can eaily get 6-8 girls in one of the 3 bedroom villas)
Stay at the beach/ocean with firepits & walk to the Village restaurants & there are a few nightspots too..
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 06:29 PM

Jan-604
Although you are not planning on "Girls Gone Wild" nightlife, you and some 20- something friends would be bored in La Jolla. Mission Beach or Pacific Beach for sure I would suggest. Stay close to Garnet Ave, or Grand Ave. or Mission Bay Dr. If you want to party in DT San Diego and then drive to La Jolla, it is not all that close and cops are very fierce around here with drinking and driving.
Go to La Jolla for the day, eat dinner there, shop, etc.but IMHO, don't stay there.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 08:10 PM

It depends on what type of 20 somethings you are. For most folks in their twenties, I would agree with PB, MB. I don't think I was ever of that mindset, even in my early 20s and late teens. I hate PB/MB. You will see your share of piercings and tattoos and I even once saw a girl in a thong bikini with a dog collar being "walked" by her boyfriend holding the other end of the leash. Rollerbladers, bikers, etc. It is a young scene and happening; just not a young scene I ever liked even when that age.

If you are drinkers and like to party, go to PB/MB. If you are not, you can consider La Jolla. Don't do Birdrock, that is just a quiet residential neighborhood. The village of La Jolla is probably the most dense and happening with limited beaches and La Jolla Shores has a nice beach but is quieter.

Another option is Del Mar which has great beaches and some nightlife. It is also gorgeous.

Good luck with it. If you stay in PB/MB, I agree with the recommendation of Tower 23.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 09:35 PM

We just came back from a long weekend in Pacific Beach. We were a few blocks north of Garnet and the Pier, at the Pacific Terrace Inn. It was fabulous, right on the beach, with the boardwalk right in front of the hotel. We were walking distance to many bars and restaurants.

We easily went to La Jolla, which is just north of PB.

http://pacificterrace.reachlocal.net/

The Capri by the Sea is also a nice choice if you want a condo.

http://www.capribythesea.com/
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 12:07 PM

I agreee with northcounty-when I was in my 20's, I was never a fan of Pacific Beach. By what you said, I think you'd enjoy partying in the Gaslamp area more than PB.

MBNancy-I have been to PB to visit my aunt and uncle when they are there during the summer (from Arizona). I have enjoyed my stay there more now that I am older. Obviously not hanging out in the bars for the young people. My uncle who is a runner at age 80 loves going out every morning to run along the beach and I walk with my aunt along the boardwalk.

Old Nov 15th, 2008, 09:35 PM

You should look at La Valencia - beautiful, historic, at the beach and right in the middle of town. We had great access to shops, dining and a really great gelato shop up the street.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 07:01 PM

Paula, I remember PB years ago when visiting during college days. Whatta dive town! LOL

We enjoy staying there now, when not right in downtown SD, as we love being across from the ocean. We visit a couple times a year, so rotate where we stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -