Kingston Plantation in Myrtle Beach

Apr 23rd, 2002, 10:12 AM
Heidi

Kingston Plantation in Myrtle Beach

We are staying at the Kingston Plantation in August...have been reading some comments about Myrtle Beach being "redneck" in other posts and that has me concerned a bit....we want a nice family vacation...has anyone stayed there and what can you tell me about it? What are nice areas to see with children?

Apr 23rd, 2002, 10:26 AM
nina

Heidi, when are you going? I'll be there August 19th-25th. This will be our 3rd trip down. MB is redneck, KP is not. It's a very nice resort that the kids will love. We vacation all over and KP is one of my kids favorites. They like it much more than Nantucket because of the great waterpark. If it weren't for the kids, we wouldn't go there, but it's a great spot for families. Lots of family restaurants, mini-golf, etc.

The resort is gated, very large, nicely landscaped with a nice beach, lots of pools, an outstanding gym and that wonderful waterpark for the kids. We know 3 other families going then.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 10:32 AM
Tricia

Heidi,
Don't worry about Myrtle Beach and it's redneck reputation.
If you are staying at Kingston Plantation, you certainly are staying at the best Myrtle has to offer. Check out Alligator Adventure at Barefoot Landing, our sons loved it, and it was educational as well as fun.
We enjoyed Myrtle Beach w/our kids. It can be cheesy, yes, but so can many places. Have a great time!

Apr 23rd, 2002, 10:41 AM
chuck

Heidi,

there is nothing redneck about Kingston Plantation. It is not quite on par with places like Palmetto Dunes in Hilton Head, but it's not that far behind.

Also, MB is definitely family-oriented. Attractions you and your kids might like are:
1. Broadway at the Beach (aquarium, IMAX, restaurants, shops, all built around a small lake, with water taxis available).
2. Barefoot Landing (Alligator Adventure is great, and there is a river boat that cruises from the waterway there).
3. Lots of go-kart tracks, including NASCAR Speedpark--across the highway from Broadway at the Beach.
4. Lots of putt-putt golf places with various themes; sounds corny but is actually fun & relaxing.
5. Fishing or pleasure cruises from Little River (about 15-20 minutes North of KP)--there is a surprising amount of wildlife here when considering what a huge tourist draw the area is.
6. Huntington Beach State Park (about 35-40 minutes south of KP) and possibly Brookgreen Gardens, across the street from the park.
7. The Pavillion, no family trip is complete without a visit to this amusement park in the heart of MB. It will be a little crowded in August, but worth experiencing once.
8. If you're feeling particularly adventurous, you could drive about 40 minutes north to Sunset Beach and turn right on the beach road. At the west end of the island you can walk across (at low tide for sure, and maybe anytime now) to Bird Island, uninhabited and pristine.
9. Go redneck-watching; it's especially challenging to see if you can spot them based solely on license plates or restaurant choices (just kidding!)

There's probably more I can't think of at the moment, but perhaps that will get you started.

Have a great time!

Apr 24th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Heidi

Thanks to all who replied, your information was very helpful! Nina, we will be there August 18-23. Are you staying at Kingston Plantation as well? We will be in the Brighton Tower (I think that is the name, anyway). Have a great time, I am sure we will too!