Best beach for kids in Newport, Rhode Island

Old Jul 12th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best beach for kids in Newport, Rhode Island

We are planning a day trip with children ages 2-14 to Newport, RI from Boston in late July/early August and would appreciate any input as to the best beach to take the kids to in the Newport area. We would also like restaurant recommendatons for children in the area. We've read that Easton Beach has a carousel and playground--is this our best bet? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 08:00 AM

Although Newport has a lot of "waterfront", the best beaches are in nearby Middletown. Yes, Easton's beach has the carousel but it also has lots of seaweed much of the time.
The best beach for "beach purists" is Second Beach, which is just off of Sachuest Point in Middletown....about roughly 2 miles from easton's Beach. The water is clean, the sand is great, there is a concession, and there is more space to spread out!

Restaurants for kids?? I am a bit out of touch on this one, but I would say Flo's because it has take out and is quick...just across from Easton's Beach.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 03:25 PM

Gooseberry Beach in Newport is also a good option for kids. As Emily mentioned, Easton's beach has more to do (Carousel, Snack Bar, Bumper Boats, etc) But Second Beach or Gooseberry are better for swimming.

Brick Alley and Red parrot are good for the whole family. Everyone will find something they like.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 03:30 PM

FYI....Easton's Beach is often referred to as "First Beach". I agree that Second Beach is a nicer beach experience.

Flo's is great for kids. Brick Alley pub has good food, and great lobster bisque, but is always crowded with lines to get in in the summer. It's really only reasonable to go there during slightly off-hours..go for a late lunch or early dinner.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 03:10 AM

I love Gooseberry...this is the beach that my family could walk to when I grew up in Newport. To me, it really is a gem. I do think that it is great for very small kids but the 14 yr old will love the surf at Second Beach!!
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 10:13 AM

First Beach also has the Save the Bay exploration center, a small aquarium/learning center that is cheap and great for small kids. Also you might like the fact that on first beach there is beachfront bar/restaurant (Johnnie's Atlantic Beach Club), so mom and dad could potentially wander off for a quick drink, if that is your thing. And Flo's, which several have mentioned, can be hard to park at, and since it is located across the street from first beach, you could walk to it from there. So in terms of "extras", first beach has it all over the other beaches.
This is a tough call....the downside of first beach is the seaweed issue, which I doubt your 2 year old will care about, but your 14 year old might recoil from swimming if the red seaweed is really bad that day. Since the seaweed doesn't bother me, I always take my family to first beach because there is so much more to do.
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 12:44 PM

I agree with a lot of the other posters, Second Beach in Middletown sounds like the perfect choice for you. The water tends to be a little warmer there also!