Outer Banks

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:09 AM
MarkBinPA

Outer Banks

Ok, I am new to this froum and to the Outer Banks. I have taken the last five vacation at Myrtle Beach and woudl be happy to answer any questions I can abotu MB.

But, here is my dilemma. We wanta more remote, quiter vacation than MB and have pretty much decided next year to go to the Outer Banks. I have a 13 year old and a 4 year old. Which opart of the Outer Banks, as far as Duck, Kitty Hawk, Hatteras, etc...woudl you recommend?

Also, what about kids? Is there much to do for them?

I appreciate your responses.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 08:45 AM
slkj

If you are trying to avoid Nags Head/Kitty Hawk congestion, there's most to do in or near Duck.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 09:35 AM
carolyn

I've never been to Myrtle Beach, so I can't offer any comparison, but for a remote location in the Outer Banks, head south to Hatteras. Duck might have lots to do, but it is hardly remote and congestion free.

Hatteras has a small town w/ restaurants and shops, and you can hop the ferry over to Ocracoke for a fun day trip.

The isn't a boardwalk or any condensed area with activities for kids, it's mainly rental houses. There are loads of miniature golf courses in the Nags Head/Kitty Hawk area. We went for years with my nephew and a daughter of a friend, and they were never bored, we would take board games and cards to play in the evening.

Manteo has a nice aquarium and historic ship that would be good for kids. There is the Wright Brothers Monument in Kill Devil Hills, and lots of Lighthouses to visit.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Lori

My husband and I are leaving for Myrtle Beach tomorrow. It is my first time there and 6 years since my husband has been there. We are staying in North Mrytle beach. Any suggestions on great Seafood Restaurants? I understand there are plenty of buffet's but I mean something nicer, more upscale? Also are there any day activities besides the beach? Any dolphin watches recommended? Any Sunset dinner cruises? Romantic type atmoshphere?

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 12:05 PM
MarkBinPA

go to www,.myrtlebeachlive.com, excellent site for entertainment, dining, etc...in Myrtle Beach and N. Myrtle Beach

OutRigger is nice and upscale. But, I ate at mostly family buffet types because of kids. If you are l;ooking for a really good buffet type, may i suggest one right in N. Myrtle. It is abotu a 1/8 of mile down from Barfoot Landing, same side of HW 17. It is called Preston's. That is our favorite rest in Myrtle Beach.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I appreciate it.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 02:11 PM
livedin myrtle

Used To live in Myrtle for 6 years...skip the buffets, Rossi's is good, and Carolina Roadhouse. For activity---go to Ripley's Aquarium. Here on the Outer Banks, Emerald Ilse, where I am now is great.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:35 AM
Christina

Lori, if by chance you are checking this while on vacation, we had an amazing meal at Greg Norman's Austrailian Grille. We went for lunch so the prices were cheaper, but the food was amazing!!