Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Kiawah Island's West Beach or East Beach Villas?

Old Feb 5th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Booking a 1 bedroom Villa with golf package for the end of this month. Any opinions or preferences for booking Villas in a particular area of this resort. Considering the Windswept Villa in the East Beach side. Appreciate your comments.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Any recent visitors to this resort?
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 03:12 PM

we stayed at the East Beach at Seascape and it was beautiful. I do know where Windswept Villas are and they look nice, just not as modern as others, particularily seascape. I believe that they are only 1 or 2 bedrooms.

Some have pool access and some do not. The beach area on the East side are all about the same. If you have specifice questions, feel free to e-mail me.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 08:58 AM

We own a house at Kiawah. The question of pool access is an important one. The pools on the island are owned by the Kiawah Island Resort. As of 2005, the only way you can use the pools is by renting a house or villa from the Resort itself. You can no longer rent from another company and buy tickets to the Resort pools.

Consider that when deciding who to rent from.

Also the main pool is located at East Beach. The "old" Kiawah Island Inn has been closed and there are fewer facilities and activities at West Beach.

Old Feb 27th, 2005, 09:43 AM

Dove,

Where are you at on Kiawah? My parents have a house there also. The changes in the pool situation should be interesting for Beachwalker, Great Beach and others. Another point of interest is the fine print for the Sanctuary...from Memorial Day to Labor Day reservations for the restaurants will be on a same day basis for those not staying at/through the resort. This applies to the spa also, or at least according to their info on the website. My mother, sister and I went to the spa over the Christmas holiday and got advance reservations without a problem, but that wasn't the peak summer months. A gentleman staying there could not get into the Ocean Room for the first three days of his stay.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 09:26 AM

We own one of the Night Heron cottages, clearly not high end but great for a family.

We were down last weekend and had two meals at the new Sanctuary. Loved the Ocean Room. Great service. Chef came out and spoke with us for a long while. He's originally from Philadelphia and learning Charleston ways.

We did not like the Jasmine Porch as well. Moderate prices and Southern food but no outside view to speak of; especially in the evening when the shades are closed.

Reservations at the hotel dining rooms are difficult,even in the off season. We called a month ahead. Can't imagine that anyone will be able to get same day seats for dinner at either restaurant.

The other big news out of Kiawah is the new shopping center that will open in May. Much larger than expected. Very interesting architecture. Will provide much-needed options for dinner, shopping, and life in general. Will have a coffee bar with adjoining book store.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 07:32 PM

Dove,
After renting on Kiawah for 25+ years, anyplace is terrific there! I would take a one bedroom anything! You're right about the family aspect - 70% of my entire life's summer vacations have been spent there, and now the next generation of the family gets to experience it too! My mom hates the whole Freshfields thing, but she might change her mind when she sees it done. The locals have a couple of nicknames for Newton Farms (the high-end grocery in Freshfields owned by the Newton Family/Piggly Wiggly): both Pig Newton and the Posh Pig have been floated about, to go with the Little Pig and Big Pig.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 09:39 AM

I was in the process of reserving a villa for our 4th trip to Kiawah when I learned of the new pool policy as indicated by dove in an earlier post. Renting through the resort vs. one of the private agencies (or private owner) is much more expensive & offers a smaller choice of lodging. Previously, you were able to buy a weekly pool pass regardless of where you were staying.

I personally think the new policy is outrageous and borders on extortion. I am hopeful that the policy reduces revenue on the island. I really enjoy Kiawah but have decided to go elsewhere this summer.

Old Mar 9th, 2005, 10:12 AM

You are not alone in your reaction. Much consternation on the island. However, the resort owns the pools and can do as they wish. Their argument is that they will have many more guests with the opening of the Sanctuary hotel and thus need to limit the number of "outside" guests.

Some talk about the independent groups getting together and building a pool for their guests' use but that won't happen this summer.

By the time you bought weekly passes, it seemed to me that the bargains provided by the independent rental groups had disappeared. A family of four would be adding $200 to their rental just for pool use.

I always feel I get extras from the Resort in the free evening programs on the Island. The carnival and the art fair are paid for by the Resort. First class events open to everyone at no cost.

I hope you come back to Kiawah.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 11:05 AM

dove-

I don't really but the "crowds from The Sanctuary" argument. According to The Sanctaury's website, they have 2 oceanfront pools on their property plus an indoor pool. I think their guests will be there vs. traipsing around the island to the other pools.

But you are right, if the resort owns the pools, they can do as they wish. I just hope that enough people feel the same way as I do & force them to change their mind. Even if renting from a private owner, Pam Harrington, Great Beach Vacations or whomever, I always spend a lot of resort dollars on golfing, dining, etc. (plus the pool pass). I can't imagine being a property owner there & having this new policy come about.

I got a price quote for a condo this summer from the resort. They did not even offer any units at the large complex that I was interested in & the less desirable place they had available was about 50% higher than other sources.

Kiawah has always been a favorite place of mine but I am unwilling to play by these rules (& prices).
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 08:14 PM

Have always stayed on East Beach. Turtlepoint was a nice location, but we really like Windswept. Staying there again in May. If you have children, Windswept & Parkside are so close to the park, pool and not far away from Ocean.

New pool policy concerns me though. We have always just used island pool and just walked in. In May there have never been life guards, and there was never a charge to use the pool. Hoping this new pool policy won't cause us to have to pay fees!!!!
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 04:27 PM

Hope it's ok to leap in to this thread. We,too, will be renting a 1-bedroom villa for mid April. There's availability at both Mariner's and Seascape (which is in west village, not east as a previous poster had said?) Trying to decide which one? (We don't have kids-- want as much peace and quiet as possible.)
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 09:06 AM

I'd vote for Mariner's just because it is in walking distance to hotel and to pools. Seascape is wonderful if you are a property owner with access to the POP pool but now that the Inn pools have closed, there's nothing closeby for pools or shopping.

Both units have basically the same floor plan in a 1 BR.