Kiawah-Beaches/Pools

Search

Kiawah-Beaches/Pools

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kiawah-Beaches/Pools

Renting a house for 2 weeks July/August w/my 3 year old who is already starting to prefer the company of friends to that of her parents. Wanted to know if there is one main beach/area of the beach where families seem to congregate. Also, is there a public pool on the island? I'd appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 11:28 AM

The pool situation at Kiawah is one you should understand BEFORE you rent a house there. The Kiawah Island Resort owns the pools both at the Sanctuary and at Night Heron Park.

You cannot use either pool unless you are a guest of the Resort, either staying at the hotel or in a villa managed by the Resort. Several of the individual complexes -- Sparrow Pond, Turtle Beach -- have their own pool but the main pool is at the Park.

If you have rented from one of the other 5 or 6 rental companies, you are pool-less during your visit.

As to the beach: it's a long beach. Most families go to the stretch of pool closest to their lodging. Thus you will usually see the same families over and over each day. However, since most people stay only a week, there will be turnover during the weekend and a new group will emerge on Sunday afternoon.

You might consider the Kiawah Kamp at Night Heron park. It's a very good program for kids who must be toilet trained. Good place to meet other kids and families. The Kampers do get to use the pool during the morning and afternoon sessions. There's a price break for Resort guests.

The Resort also sponsors a family program of some type Sunday - Thursday evenings: a magician, a carnival, a kazoo concert. First class events. All free and no restrictions on who can attend.

LEt me know where you are renting and through which company and I can give you further advice.

You may also want to attend the Monday night oyster roast sponsored by the Resort. Nice food and live music.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 11:52 AM

We're considering renting a house on Kiawah in early July. Renting through Pam Harrington Exclusives. Interested in any feedback on the island's facilities offered to those who are not guests of the Resort. My children are 4 years old.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 10:18 AM

All of Dove's points are correct. There are many activities that go on through the resort, but many have a fee - eg tie dye shirts, beach seining, etc. The carnival is fun. (I think the shirt one is a lot of fun and you end up with a nice one for a pretty good price.) When you get there, get a schedule at the office of all of the activites going on. They print up a whole full color book for each season.

Note the previous comments about pools. Unless you are in one of the areas with their own pool you will not have access to one. The beach is spectacular and to many, the pool thing does not matter. Depending on how far the house/villa is from the beach, you may want to rent or bring bikes for the treks back and forth to the beach. There are miles of paved bike paths.

If you have any other specific questions, feel free to ask. There are lots of things to do with kids around the area if you can manage to tear them away from the beach!
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 11:21 AM

Thank you "dsgmi". I think the beach will be THE main attraction for my children.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 03:35 AM

I've been going to Kiawah since I was a kid and, yes, the beach is why we go!

If you stay behind the second gate there are a couple of places you can drive to and park legally to walk to the beach (in the event that your place is a further rather than closer stroll. If you're there over the 4th, make sure to check out the fireworks schedule for the resort or you can go downtown Charleston to see them. We've watched them from the top of the parking garage behind Slightly North of Broad and had a great time.

If you have a rain day the aquarium is great. They also have an IMAX. My son LOVED the Sepentarium over at Edisto last summer. /you definitely have to like reptiles, though!