key west bw hibiscus

Search

key west bw hibiscus

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
key west bw hibiscus

We have booked this for late April. Is it's location on 1300 Simonton really bad? We are walkers, but wonder if in hot weather and at night this is too great a distance. We have 2 days only and I am wondering if it makes sense to stop in Islamorada on the way back to Fort Lauderdale where we are staying and driving from.Thanks, any suggestions are appreciated .
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 10:22 AM

This hotel is in Old Town, which is the more desirable part of Key West. However, it's pretty far from the hub of Key West activities, i.e., sunset celebrations, most restaurants and tourist activities. If you enjoy walking you shouldn't have a problem with the location. To be exact, it's 13 blocks from the Gulf.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 01:38 PM

Last May, my niece and I stayed near Eaton & Duval and walked down to La Te Da (1100 blk of Duval) and had no problems. However, when dressed up we took transportation because we didn't want to walk that far in heels.

If you are planning on keeping it casual, you can probably walk to most places. You can get passes on the Boneyard Shuttle and take it all around KW. You can catch it at South Beach in various locations. And they are AIR CONDITIONED, which is a bonus. You can also rent mopeds or bikes, but over several days, they would cost much more than the passes on the shuttle.

Check out the Randy Roberts show at La Te Da, he's great! We even bought his CD after the show! The piano bar has great entertainment, too. They are only a few blocks from where you'll be staying, so it will be a nice walk back to your hotel at night. Oh yeah, and the food at Alice's was the best we had in KW!

Have fun!
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Heartburn. I will check out Randy Roberts. What kind of food is Alice's? With only a few days I really want to make the most of our time.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 07:51 PM

Alice's is delicious. I only ate there once, but it was fabulous! Alice is a 5 star chef. My niece had the duck (du jour) I assume they have different sauces each day for the duck. She had all sorts of gourmet dishes. Not inexpensive, but well worth the experience.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 05:53 AM

I've eaten brunch and dinner at Alice's several times and highly recommend it. You can access the menu at aliceskeywest.com. Alice has opened a new restaurant at 1125 Duval called Bacchus...both menus (sans prices) can be found on the same website.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 06:16 AM

We rented bikes and rode all over the place (seriously, everywhere) - no problems. When we went to return the bikes at the end of the day the bike rental place (more like a stand) let us keep them overnight for no extra charge. I think they were off Duval. You'll have a great time.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 07:45 PM

I stayed there in April 2002. It is a nice property with a nice pool area. The rooms are large and very well maintained. If one is healthy, walking to the heart of Duval Street should take no more than twenty-five minutes at a moderate pace. It is a fun walk as there is a lot that meets the eye. I even walked back after an evening of Duval Street revelry. It is only a block or two from the Southermost Point in the US. It is close to South Beach, and only about a ten-fifteen minute walk to Smathers Beach, which is the nicest beach in the keys. Unless you absolutely have to be able to be on Duval, it is good choice that is close enough, but a nice retreat and a good choice for two nights for beach, pool and Duval.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Nuwaver, your replies on this and other message about drive to Key West really helped greatly. I was able to change my plans accordingly. I will check out Whale Harbor buffet. Again,thanks.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 06:17 AM

linman-You are not talking about Whale Harbor buffet in Islamorada are you? The food there is mediocre at best. Try Lorelei's or Islamorada Fish Company instead and Manny & Isa's for their key lime pie.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 07:13 PM

Isalmorada Fish Company does actually have better food, but Whale Harbor is worth a try. There is a light house in the front that six residents climbed to escape a storm surge during a hurrican in 1960. There is fresh shrimp, crabs, mussles, conch chowder, clam chowder, ham, prime rib, a nice desert bar. It is decent, but it is about $20.00, as much as you would spend for a good seafood dinner at Islamorada Fish. I also like the photos on the wall at Whale Harbor of visitors to Whale Harbor through the decades. But, as noted, Islamorada Fish may have better food.