Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

visiting nearby communities to Key West (no car)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I'll be in Key West in about a month's time and will not be renting a car. I noticed however that there's the "Lower Keys Shuttle" that runs as far as Marathon. I'd be content just hanging around Key West, but if someone believes one of the communities (for example, a charming town/village with a walkable centre with a place to eat would appeal, an especially worthwhile (esp. seafood or vegetarian) restaurant, or a place of historic interest/beauty, even a particularly peaceful beachside strolling area that you love would interest me) between KW and Marathon, including Marathon is worth a look-see, let me know. I'd hate to miss out on an opportunity because who knows when I'll be back in the area (living in Eastern Canada; this is my first time in my life (36 yrs.) to the Keys). I enjoy cycling, so any pleasant bike path ideas are welcomed too.

I notice the bus stops in: Marathon, Big Pine Key (with a stop past the Bahia Honda Park entrance), Summerland Key, Cudjoe Key and Sugarloaf Key, to name a few.

All thoughts and opinions welcome. Best wishes, DAN
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 04:25 AM

Frankly, I don't think this is worth it at all. While the shuttle may stop somewhere that has a decent enough restaurant, none of those places has what I would call "a charming town/village with a walkable center". They are kind of "strip-center" heaven with residences scattered about.
In fact I'm trying to think of many areas where they'd even have sidewalks for convenient walking. That area REQUIRES a car if you want to explore, but I'd hardly leave Key West for any of them to do what you're talking about.
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, NeoPatrick! Barring any compelling thoughts from others, I'll stick to Key West then (looking forward)!

Best wishes
DAN
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 07:59 AM

There is plenty to do in Key West but if you want to explore there is Hogfish, a seafood restaurant just over the causeway on Stock Island. Very good local place which you could bike to.

Pjk
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 11:49 AM

Respecting Patrick and Peter's reasonable advise, here's a couple considerations. The beach at Bahia Honda is one of the few beaches in the Keys. You can also snorkle off the East shore of Bahia Honda.

I don't know where the shuttle stops in Marathon. Marathon is large enough that if the bus stop is a ways from the Seven Mile Bridge, you can't get there on foot.
The old Seven Mile is a pedestrian causeway. You can walk almost three miles past Pigeon Key and observe the flats. You will see shark, rays, tarpon, baracuda and more. The Seven Mile Grill is walking distance the bridge entrance.

The drive from KW to Marathon is beautiful. If you stay on Key West you won't see the bridges, the brilliant water, or marine life.

A good restaurant in the mangroves at MM 21 is Mangrove Mama's. Perfect Keys' atmosphere with fine food. Same story. Don't know the gap to the shuttle, but a good visit from KW.

I can't testify to the convenience of the shuttle stops to the destinations I've mentioned.
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 12:38 PM
GBC

Hi Daniel,

If you have a nice clear day, I think you really would enjoy the Marathon area. Traveling north/east from Key West which is mile marker #0 on US Rt 1 the north end of the Seven Mile Bridge where the bike/walking bridge (which is the original bridge) begins is at about mile marker 47. On a nice day this is a very nice outing. You can walk part way across on the pedestrian bridge or about three miles. They were planning construction on this path so be sure that it is open before starting out.

There is also a decent beach in Marathon. It is called Sombrero Beach. There are many places to eat. One of character and local interest is Herbie's. Another is the Fisheries but you will need transport to reach them.

If you could rent a car, for even one day, you would have considerably more oportunities to explore. Cars may be rented at the airport either in KW or in Marathon.
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Hello there,

Thanks to all for the restaurant suggestions. I may stick to Key West, but Seven Mile Bridge especially sounds potentially tempting; I'll have to find out if one of the several shuttle stops in Marathon works well with it (or maybe I can rent a bike in Marathon to transport me hither and thither).

Everyone's thoughts and opinions have been greatly appreciated.

All the best to you!

DAN
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 03:43 AM
GBC

Remember to bring a hat and sunblock. Have a great trip.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 01:10 PM

We really enjoyed Sombrero Beach last March. It is located at MM 50 on the Atlantic has plenty of sand beside the ocean, as well as a nice sandy bottom. You can see through the crystal clear emerald & blue water. It has both shallow and deep water swimming for the whole family. Facilities include a playground, picnic area with BBQ pits and restrooms.

Even though it doesn't have kayak rentals, I'd still have to rank it up near the top with Bahia Honda
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 07:41 PM

Dan,

Rent a car for a day and drive to Bahia Honda State park: swim, rent a kayak, & snorkle from the beach or take the snorkel tour at Bahia Honda State Park, one of the few natural beaches in the keys.

Second vote for Mangrove Mamma's.

Bicycling:

I found this about bicycling in Key West "Due to the shortage of space and compactness of the city streets, bicycles are king. Since everyone needs and uses bikes, they are prime targets for thieves. Therefore, you must always securely lock your bike."

The state is building the multi use Florida Keys Heritage Trail
http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/state...il/default.htm
it will be nice once it is built.

For other road cycling in FL, check http://www.great-trails.com/florida.shtml
Although neither trail is in the keys, you may wish to visit a different part of the state next time and take your bicycle.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

I realized I'd forgotten to thank everyone for their advice. I had a great trip to Key West, ending up just sticking to the island itself, given the variety of things to see there. I found it plenty enjoyable just cycling from the western downtown part on the south side, over to the eastern part, where I could see Stock Island. In itself, good exercise, passing beaches and great views of the Florida Strait. And like2_travel did have good advice, as my bike did get stolen, locked and all!

And stumpworks, I did see that lovely stretch of highway you refer to, since I arrived by bus from Miami.

Here's my report if anyone's interested.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35099025

Thanks again. DAN