Notices

Key West Secrets?

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Key West Secrets?

We are going to Key West in January and I wanted to see if anybody could give me any ideas on unique things to do there, that might not necessarily be real touristy or found on the web. Like, maybe a quiet place to go see a sunset? Or any other "off the beaten path" kinds of places to visit?
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 09:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I were to make one suggestion for a key west visit, it would be to take the day trip to the Dry Tortugas National Park, spectacular beach, great snorkeling, great old fort ruin to check out, good food on the island provided by the tour operator, it was a great trip that made our vacation a unique experience. It's a bit expensive, but well worth the cost.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 09:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We went to a "theatrical seance" in Key West years ago (I don't know if it's still there). It was kind of fun - definitely different. You sit around a table w/a few others and though they tell you upfront it is "theatrical" they try to make it seem real from that point forward. Sorry I don't have any more info on it but it has been a while.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 10:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since Key West is only 2 miles by 4 miles, it's highly unlikely for anyone to discover a "secret" place there! Some people enjoy touring the little cemetery there, though, and it has some great headstones like, "I told you I was sick," and "At least I know where you're sleeping now"
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 10:00 AM
GoTravel

Key West doesn't hide good places from tourists.

Dry Tortugas is a wonderful trip, eat at Blue Heaven and throw back a few beers at Captain Tony's and the Green Parrot. Dennis Pharmacy is excellent for lunch.

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 10:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Despite Uhhh's post re: hidden spots in touristy areas. let me point out this one spot in Key West that, despite my having told hundreds of people about and I know other people have told hundreds of other people about, still remains fairly "quiet." That would be: Fort Zachary Taylor for viewing the sunset. I have been going to the Keys for over 30 years, and this place is still fairly undervisited. And it is a SUPER place to view the sunset.

Have fun.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 10:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The park (and probably Key West's best beach) at Ft Zachary Taylor are worth a visit.

And the new houseboat row in Garrison Bight is worth a look, as well.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 12:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Key West has a walking ghost tour which stops at all the haunted places. That looked like alot of fun.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 02:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love wandering the quiet residential streets of Old Town in Key West. Especially early in the morning.

Make sure you get your hands on a copy of Sharon Wells' 'Walking and Biking Guide to Historic Key West'. It's free and available at quite a few of the guest houses. Interesting stories about the history and former owners of many of the beautiful homes. Also, a good description as where the interesting characters are buried in the cemetary.

I love tropical plants and always make a short stop at the MARC plant shop. I also like to look at the palms in the little garden next door to the library. Some people really enjoy Nancy Forester's Secret Garden, others think it's a rip off. Last I was there, it did appear pretty unkempt and absolutely nothing was labeled. That was several years ago though.

An interesting place to watch the sunset that you don't hear about very often is the bar at the top of the La Concha Hotel on Duval. Certainly not a very private setting, but there was only one other person up there the night we were. And great views.

Jean
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 08:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
soboyle,

Which tour operator did you use for your day trip to the Dry Tortugas? (I see that there are several...)

I could not decide if the extra $$$ for the seaplane would be worth it.

Thanks!
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 10:02 AM
GoTravel

Diana, the extra $$$ for the Seaplane to the Dry Tortugas is so worth it! Instead of being exhausted from such a full day and possibly seasick, you come back refreshed and energized. I'll never do the fastcat again.

The scenery from the plane at 500 feet is stunning. You can see the wrecks and all kinds of marine life.

Old Dec 10th, 2004, 04:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We went with Yankee Freedom II, a high speed catamaran, great day, altho as the previous posted remarked, it is a long day with 2/3 spent on the boat getting to and from the island. I think it is still worth it. I havent done the flight there, but I don't think you get any more time on the island than you do with the boat trip, but the overall trip time is much shorter.
I have a few photographs posted here if you are interested.
www.oboylephoto.com/florida/florida2.htm
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 06:24 AM
jasper

it may not be a secret, but hemingways house tour is a must. maybe an aquarium to see conch. mallory square celebrates the sunset everynight (fun!) , but by no means "off the beaten path".

Old Dec 10th, 2004, 10:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't miss the drag show at Club La te Da... the "girls" are very talented at celebrity impersonation and this show is funny, entertaining, and something you might not see in your home town!!!
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 07:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recommend the Cuban "Monster Sandwich" at the tiny Paradise Cafe. It is yummy!
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 09:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have gone to Key West in January for the past two years. One of the high points for us is that there is a literary seminar that goes on and the last day they have a free reading open to the public. Every year there is a different theme - poetry, immigrant stories, - this year it is humor. Very famous writers go to this. I discovered this while looking at an events calendar of whats going on in Key West.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 02:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not many people seem to be aware that there many cultural activites in Key West. There are two live theatres, lectures at the library, free concerts at churches, etc.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 05:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is a long way to the Dry Tortugas (70 miles). With the seaplane it takes 1-1/2 hours. You would be on the catamaran 4-1/2 hours. I would maximize my vacation time and spend less time getting there and back. Definitely worth the extra $$ in my opinion. The ride in our 5 seater seaplane was a thrill, and like GoTravel, I enjoyed looking at all the scenery down below.
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 05:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Run the Half Shell Half Marathon on 1/30 -