Search

Kenai Trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenai Trip

I have 4 days - 3 nights to explore the Kenai peninsula by car in early September. I plan to leave downtown Anchorage after breakfast, visit the Native Heritage Center, and continue after lunch toward Exit Glacier.
I have a Toursaver book to use for the Kenai Fjords tour. It also has a 2 nights for 1 coupon at Princess Lodge at Cooper Landing, but I am not sure if I should use it. Should I drive to Homer? I would appreciate any help with must see places and where to stay and eat. We are a couple in our 60's, enjoy nature, wildlife, hiking, and beautiful scenery. This is our first trip to Alaska. After returning to Anchorage on 9/5, we will be going to Denali.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 02:26 PM

Personally, I would opt for staying in Seward for one night at least. Homer is a different Alaska that you'll have to decide if you want to visit. I'd recommend it.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 05:18 PM

I would go to Seward and Homer, if you're able.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 06:45 PM

I would stay at least one night in Homer, and skip the overnight at Cooper Landing.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 02:47 AM

With only 3 nights I would not spend time at the Princess Lodge but that's because I loved Homer. It could take you most of the day to get to Seward (don't forget the tram ride up Mt Alyeska in Girdwood). You can probably also visit the Sea Life Center in Seward when you arrive. I think because of being busy and the long daylight we tended to have dinner later at night so see the Sea Life Center before it closes. (Might take only an hour or two.) Spend #1 night in Seward and do the Kenai Fjords tour the next day. Depending on when you get back, you could drive to Homer that evening (plan 3-4 hours driving time). You will probably see lots of eagles in Homer. The Pratt Museum is wonderful. Spend at least one night in Homer but keep in mind the drive back to Anchorage is about 5 hours. If you haven't already planned a flightseeing trip, Homer is a good place for a short flight over a glacier. I like the museum gift shops as a place to find prints, books by artists, etc. Even if my purchase is just a few notecards, they make wonderful keepsakes. There's a wonderful line of cards with northern lights photos and the photographer explains how he got each shot. On your drive to Homer you will get a good view of the volcanos across the bay. On your drive back to Anchorage, plan a good stopping place to break up the drive.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 04:38 AM

Can you put more than 3 days on to your trip? I have to see you skip the Copper River Princess Lodge, because it is so beautiful. The other places are so worthwhile and are not to be missed as well. If you must, then skip the Copper River Princess, but if there's any way to add time to your trip, even an extra day or two, it would be very worth your while.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 04:39 AM

Sorry, that was supposed to read hate, not have.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 05:20 AM

I would spend, 1 night in Seward and 2 in Homer. For me, Homer is not a one night stop, my opinion only. I would definately not stay at Cooper Landing, since you don't have the time if you want to include the other two cities. Night 4 is in Anchorage???
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your advice. Yes, Budget Queen, the fourth night will be back in Anchorage as I will be leaving early for Denali.
I am not sure about driving times. How long a drive from Anchorage to Seward? Where should I stop along the way? Is it worth detouring to Mt. Aleyska? Should I wait to have lunch up there? I plan to take the six hour Kenai Fjords tour on day 2. It gets back at 5:30-6 Would this be too late to drive to Homer, or should I drive part way, spend the night and continue to Homer in the morning? On the way back from Homer to Anchorage on day 4 would I have time for any stops? Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 04:29 PM

Please do not miss Homer if at all possible. It is like a smaller Norway with glaciers, fjords, a beautiful bay, and lots of good restaurants and beaches to roam on..
yes I was raised there,and I am biased

skip Cooper Landing.. you could always stay overnight in Soldotna if you can't stay awake for another 75 miles to Homer.. eat at the Crossing restauarant(I'm headed there tonight)..

the Moose is Loose bakery is a pastry lover's nirvana and excellent coffee before you continue south to Homer on the Sterling Highway.

Clam Gulch and Ninilchik will be photo worthy along the way and you can stretch your legs at turnouts..

when you reach the overlook at the Baycrest Hill, stop and ooh and ah. You will see the spit extending out into the bay and the view will be magnificent.

Hope I added to your decision to see Homer and the lower peninsula.. June is usually a dry month and will be in the mid seventies with any luck.

The Alyeska resort is very nice in summer, and depending on what your fitness level is, many trails up to the top or around the hotel.. also a couple good eating spots, the famous Double Musky Inn(cajun inspired and huge portions), Chair Five in town, and the Seven Glaciers which you access by the tram.. the Alyeska hotel website may have menus?

Places to stay in Homer vary from many b&b's, to the nice upscale cabins at the top of the hill, the Aalskan Suites, a personal favorite with many amenities, Lands End Resort at the end of the spit, and chain hotels like Best Western.

Good luck and safe travels, J.