Anchorage to Homer ?

Search

Anchorage to Homer ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anchorage to Homer ?

First trip to Alaska this summer - we are renting a car in Anchorage for 3 days before actual tour starts. Is it worth the time to drive to Homer and spend a night or is there plenty to do in and around Anchorage to keep us busy.

If we do the drive, what are some must see's along the way and suggestion of a place to stay in Homer ?
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 11:48 AM

What to see along the way: http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...age-alaska.cfm

But, this is too much to cram into only three days. Stick with Anchorage and visit the Alaska Native Heritage Center, Anchorage Museum and maybe the Alaska Zoo http://www.alaskazoo.org

Later drive down Turnagain Arm toward Girdwood where you can ride the Mt. Alyeska tram to the top, visit the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center http://www.alaskawildlife.org maybe visit Portage Glacier and/or take a day cruise on Prince William Sound. All of these activities are within an hour or so of Anchorage.

Old Mar 20th, 2011, 01:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
It would be nice to visit Homer but I agree with the other poster. We stopped for the night in Girdwood at Alyeska Resort before driving down to Homer. The Turnagain Arm is beautiful. I wouldn't spend much time in Anchorage.
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 03:03 PM

I love Homer and would rather spend my time driving there, but then I love to be outdoors. The drive there is so beautiful-and when you arrive, the sights continue to amaze.
However, if museums are your thing, Orlando Vic has great suggestions. I have been to the Native Heritage Center and it was interesting, but we only spent about an hour and a half there.
Another option, if you decide to stay in Anchorage, is to take a float plane down to the Kenai penninsula (sp). That is how I saw the area on my first visit, and it was great. We stopped on a bay, walked around, had lunch there, then flew back over another scenic route.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 10:03 AM

Homer is a 2 night area. So it is possible. BUT I suggest you do your homework and find out HOW you are going to occupy your time there, and if this area is of interest to you.

I would not spend all my time in Anchorage. It sounds like you are going on a cruisetour?? Having the car is superior for the freedom of choice, use it to your advantage. Matsu area is excellent and totally missed by many people.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

yes we are going on a cruise/tour - land tour for 6 days and then cruise down to Vancouver - just spending 3 days on our own in Anchorage- or maybe 1 night in Homer -depending if we determine it is worth the drive
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 08:51 PM

It's worth the 4 1/2 hr.drive to go to Homer but you definately should overnite it