Stay at Kenai area at least 2 nites?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were planning on 1 nite at Seward but after reading all these favorable comments about the Kenai area, I'm wondering if we should stay there for 2 nites. If so, where would you suggest we stay the 2nd nite? Would driving over to Homer be good or would that make the drive too long on the 3rd day to get back to Anchorage? We don't want to be in the car too many hours. Maybe we should drive part way towards Homer but then come back to Seward for the 2nd nite, too? Need your suggestions.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 11:27 AM

I would put 2 nights in Homer and 1 night in Seward.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 05:47 PM

Homer is a wonderful little place. I'd hang around there
Dan
www.familyroadtrippers.blogspot.com
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 04:09 AM

You might be getting confused because people refer to the entire Kenai peninsula as the Kenai area. Both Seward and Homer are on the Kenai Peninsula. The town of Kenai is next to Soldotna which is about halfway between Seward and Homer. Soldotna/Kenai is a good place to stop for lunch, buy groceries, etc but the area isn't one of the popular destinations. I liked the visitors center in Kenai. We enjoyed watching the net fishermen on the beach and general exploring. We figured 1 1/2 hours from Seward to Soldotna, then another 1 1/2 hours from Soldotna to Homer. It will be about a five hour drive from Homer to Anchorage. On the return trip, Seward is a bit out of the way. It's on the other side of the KP from Soldotna and Homer. We spent a night in Whittier which I don't recommend. Others have recommended places between Soldotna and Anchorage that you'll find if you look at some old threads. Due to the amount of time it takes to get to Homer, you should spend two nights there. The area is beautiful. The Pratt Museum is very interesting. The shops are nice. Also lots of bald eagles. You could take a short flightseeing trip or boat trip. You will find the long hours in the car pass quickly because there is so much to see.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 04:54 AM

I would allow 4 hours for the drive Seward to Homer. You can get behind slow moving RVs and road construction is just about a given at some point. If you only have 2 nights, then you don't have time for both Seward and Homer. choose the area of the most interest and spend two nights.