Let me rephrase my question about Homer

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok! so believe it or not I do have a map of Alaska. Yes,it was a funny question, Homer being located where it is! So please let me try this again: For the last 5 days of our trip (out of 15) we will be in the area of Seward and Homer: We would like to be able to stay put in one hotel or BB for those five days. Is Homer good for that or is it better to split our time between the two towns? Please be nice to me with your answers! I think I'll change my name!
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 03:15 PM

I missed the first time around, but I'd suggest a split between the two towns.

As nice as Homer is, Seward has some different things to offer. I'd say they are different enough to justify a change of venues.

Both are great places.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 03:22 PM

If it were me, I would not try to stay in one place and visit the other. I'd give Seward two nights and Homer three.

The distance between the two is about 170 miles each way. Although there is some good sight-seeing between them, most of it is either nearby Homer or nearby Seward. Going to Homer from Seward, once you get past Cooper Landing on the Sterling Hwy, the drive is about as boring as it gets in Alaska (not counting downtown Anchorage or Fairbanks).

It's a matter of personal preference but I believe you would be able to make better use of your time by splitting your stays between the two.

Have a great trip. I'll be there again in August.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 03:29 PM

I agree that unless you have a couple of months to enjoy Alaska, spending 5 days (one-third of your total) in Homer is way too much.
I don't get the concern about sticking in one hotel. How much time and effort does it take to throw everything back into a suitcase or two and put them into your trunk? Neither Seward or Homer will be effectively visited from the other. Split your time between the two. If you want to go out to Seldovia then make it three in Homer, otherwise two.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 02:12 AM

The Kenai/Soldotna area is the half-way point between Seward and Homer but I think you'll find the restaurants are better in Seward and Homer and so is the scenery. You would be 1 1/2 - 2 hours away from Seward and Homer. There's only one road and it's not worth the extra driving time. It might help to use carryons for a 2 night stay and leave big suitcases in the car.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 03:54 AM

I also agree with the above, you can not base out of one area and expect to tour the other, almost 200 miles apart and it would be a big amount of time going back and forth. So as other's suggest, spend 2 nights in Seward and 3 in Homer.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 12:56 PM

Hi- I would also recommend staying 2 nights in Seward. You might take the 6 hours kenai fjords tour with lunch or dinner and then see the sealife center and exit glacier on the 2nd day. Try the raven's nest or crow's next for lodging. ( I can't remember which it is but its close to the Post office.)

For Homer:
1 Day seeing the art galleries and shops and either do lunch or dinner in Halibut Cove---you take a small ferry the Danny J. and you book it through Central Charters...Book ahead this is popular and they limit the amount of folks who can go.

Day 2: You could spend doing some fishing either halibut or salmon---Homer is considered one of the fishing capitals of the world. If your a non-fishing type try Rainbow Tours for a Wildlife Tour.

Day 3: You could spend visiting Homer's New Educational Visitors center. They have guided beach hikes. There is also a thing called Coastal Studies??? (I think) that offers guided hikes as well--we did it and it was excellent. Homer is breathtaking so plan to spend sometime just walking on the beach and driving over the top of the hill to see the beautiful views.

We stayed 4 days and my husband took the kids across the bay in a water taxi and hiked up to one of the glaciers...I guess it was an easy hike and they had an excellent time.

We stayed at the Driftwood Inn which was both economical, friendly, close to the beach and within walking distance to coffee shops, art galleries, the visitors centers, and dining.

We liked Homer the best...

P.S. Don't forget to stop at the wildlife refuge in Portage on your way back to Anchorage...the girls at the Driftwood recommended it and we loved it. You get to see all kinds of wildlife upclose and its a nice stop for coffee too.

Good Luck!
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Merci to all of you for your wise answers! We decided to change our itinerary around and start with Seward and Homer while we have our RV and work our way back to Anchorage where we will rent a car for the last five days. This way we'll then have more time for kayaking and hiking and...