Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Bears and Moose are priority -best fly-in?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be in Anchorage for a few days for a marathon on June 16-19. We have narrowed down our goals to moose and bears. We realize (heavy sigh) we cannot see much this trip. After looking through years of posts, I am thinking it would be nice to drive to Seward to see some sights on the way, overnight somewhere rustic but not a tent, and do a fly out for bears. Also thought of just doing the fly out from Anchorage and overnight somewhere more remote with the possibility of seeing more wildlife. Any advice?
Old May 7th, 2005, 01:49 AM

Last year, during that time period we saw mother and baby moose in the Kenai/Soldotna area which is flatter and marshier than Seward. (About 1 1/2 hours from Seward.) One pair were frequent visitors in a residential area. Maybe it's simply easier to spot them in areas like that. If you start reading the Anchorage Daily News on-line, you might read about some animal sightings that will help you decide. We can see moose and bear at home, watching a pod of orcas on a Kenai Fjords trip was a highlight.
Old May 7th, 2005, 05:25 AM

You will definately need a tour for bear viewing. There are some out of Anchroage, look at Rust's. Be sure to confirm what the sightings are at the time you are going. Mooose is by chance. I've seen plenty and always unexpected. Hope for the best. I would make a good bear watching tour a priority.
Old May 7th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I guess where I'm going with this is.... Does it make more sense with our limited time to do tours out of Anchorage instead of driving to Seward or Homer and staying there? Sounds like the drive is not to be missed, but if we left Anchorage early morn., get to Seward or Homer afternoon while looking around on our way, that would be one of our days. Then would have to choose between the Fjord trip or bear fly-out for our second day. What do you think?
Old May 8th, 2005, 01:47 AM

The longest cruise from Seward leaves at 9AM. You could leave Anchorage at 5:00AM, there will be plenty of daylight. It's 127 miles to Seward. There's a parking lot to leave your car and bus shuttle to the docks. Have dinner in Seward head to and Homer for the bear viewing flight. There's still plenty of daylight. It's about a 3 to 4 hour drive from Seward to Homer. Between Seward and Homer it's not as fabulously scenic until you get to the overlook just before Homer. If I only had two days, I would cram as much as I could into them.
Old May 8th, 2005, 06:12 AM

I don't recommend the above with the day trip options. Just too much time in transit and too long a day that you will be exhausted. AND definately don't recommend going to Homer that night??? It's a 4 hour drive, you've got to sleep sometime. This just isn't a good option. I suggest, either spending your 2 days in Seward or Homer, you don't have time for both and if you want a bear tour- go out of Anchorage. You just do not have enough time. If possible, add a few days then you can do much more.
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

On your Rec. I have checked out Rust's fly trips. Thinking of an all day bear watching fly trip to several areas. What do you think of this plan with the next day a drive down to Seward and do the Fjord trip and look at the sites on the way back?
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:51 AM
jq

Katmai np was great last yr for our bear viewing trip with Hallo Bay, but that was from Homer. Not sure where Rust's go for their 1 day trips. Very pricey, but with your limited time, not too many options.
For Seward, I would recommend 11:30 Kenai Fjords Tours 6hr tour, which will give you chance to see whales, see several glaciers and vast numbers of sea birds. You will still get back in time to see a little of Exit Glacier, walk up short trail to face. Then either going to or coming back from Anc you will have time to enjoy sites along the way, including Portage Glacier, the mtn sheep up on the cliffs and maybe belugas in the turnigan arm. If you are driving round trip from Anc, anything longer for a cruise will be too much for one day.
Old May 9th, 2005, 12:50 PM

I do not recommend Seward as a day trip, if that is what you are looking at?? You need at least an overnight there in my opinion. Better would be to head down and do the Kenai Fjords trip the next day perhaps, then your day of arrival is free for Exit, Seavey's, Sea life Center etc? There are 8am 6 hour boat trips that would have you back on the road by late afternoon with more than enough time for a slow ride back to Anchorage.
Old May 14th, 2005, 01:51 PM

For moose, I would rent a bike (your hotel can give you the directions) and ride the coastal trail that starts right in Anchorage. It is about 10 miles if you take it to the end, but that is not necessary, to see moose. In mornings and early evenings I've seen moose on almost every bike ride. Big males, females, and last time a mother with 2 calves. While I've seen moose other places in Alaska, this has been the best--closest (I stayed on the trail and did not pursue the moose but they were within 20 feet) and longest views (up to 45 minutes).

For bears I don't know about a trip from Seward. You can fly from Anchorage, through King Salmon, to Brooks Falls for the day where the bears fish for salmon.
You can also stay in cabins, but reservations are very tight.

Out of Soldotna, you can go to Chinitna Bay in Lake Clark to a Bear Camp for a day's visit, or stay for a couple of nights in nice tents. Angler's Paradice runs that I think.

Or from Homer you can take several operators to Katmai for day trips or overnights. The company I am familiar with is Hallo Bay. I stayed at Hallo Bay Wilderness Camp, but you can also do day trips. Accommodations are nice tents.

Have a good trip!