Search

ANC to Homer to Seward

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ANC to Homer to Seward

Another question please..
I'm busy reading everyone's messages and planning our July trip. We fly into Anchorage and want to spend time in Homer (Hallo Bay Bear watching 1 day trip), and Seward. Distance wise does it make more sence to travel to Homer or Seward first. Thanks for yous help!
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 07:18 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
You pass by the turnoff for Seward both coming from and going to Homer. Doesn't matter from which direction you make your detour. Going to Seward, then doubling back and continuing south to Homer is too long a day for most people.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 03:46 AM

We went to Homer first and then Seward and really enjoyed the trip.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 01:47 PM

We went to Seward first then went to Homer. But as the above post says, you take the same road out of Anchorage and either way you go at the fork in the road,maybe close to the same distance wise. We stayed 3 nights in Seward and 4 nights in Homer.If you can do slow down and enjoy each place. They are both very nice places with a lot to offer.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Ok, so I can really do this trip either way. I thought I read somewhere here that it made more sense to do Homer 1st. Ok, well good to know it doesn't make any difference.

Could I get everyone's ideas on our thoughts of possibly skiping Denali Park, since we are doing the Hallo Bay tour and will have seen lots of bears there. But maybe Denali is just so beautiful that we should at least do a day trip. What do you think? We only have a week and there is so much to see and do!
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 04:04 AM

With a week, and your other plans, I would skip it. You need at least 2 days in transit and a day to get into the park- not enough time. Sure it is indeed worthwhile but with your focus in the Kenai area- do extensive touring where you are, certainly 2 days in Hallo Bay- to allow for more intensive viewing and the chance of hitting an "off" day.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 04:43 AM

As a follow to Budgetqueens comments, weather is very iffy especially out at Hallo Bay. Of the four days our family spent there last August two were close to washouts. Also unless you're going towards the end of July the salmon will probably not be running yet. Timing here is different than other areas. Last summer early August was the start of their run. There are a lot of bears there, but you may have to go out and find them in the sedge grass. Ask them for a break on the kids for overnights, they gave us half off last summer.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Budget Queen, Gardyloo, tcapp, Dottie, and Dave for your advice!
Dave-
Hallo Bay gave you half off on your bear tour fee or just the overnight lodging???
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 08:44 AM

Newbee:
50% off the three night package rate for each of the kids. Basically the four of us stayed for the price of three. - Dave
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Dave!
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 03:08 AM

Please post a trip report when you get back. I would love to hear how all goes.
Hallo Bay sounds very interesting. We did a Bear watching trip to Brooks Falls that was great.But after we saw all the bear watching possiblities out of Homer,we thought that might be a great option for next time.You will have a wonderful trip.Oh,I wish I could go back this year.