Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Kauai - Lots of fun for not lots of money. Is it possible?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Kauai with my mother in November. We lucked into a good deal on airfare and a timeshare deal that we couldn't turn down.

Even with the good deals on airfare and accommodations, we don't have a big budget to enjoy the island. We'll be renting a car, so that won't be a problem.

Any suggestions?
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 07:49 PM

I think it's easy to have fun there on a budget. Beaches are free, hiking trails are free, food from the farmer's markets is cheaper and fresher than anything you'll find at Safeway. You have a timeshare so you can avoid the expensive restaurants. You might just pick a few lower cost activities (renting snorkel gear, maybe a half day kayak trip or a boat ride on the Na Pali coast, depending on cost) to supplement. Have fun!
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 11:52 PM

Christy is right! There isn't a whole lot to see and do on Kauai in terms of touristy things, which means less things to spend money on. And just like all the islands, there are tons of cheap places to eat, so you don't have to worry about that either.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 04:34 PM

"There isn't a whole lot to see or do on Kaua`i in terms of touristy things..."

Huh?

Keep talking Big Jim, ya just made Kal VERY happy! >

-Bill
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, Christy! It's good to know there are things to do that won't cost too much.

I'm really looking forward to just soaking in the scenery and relaxing on the beach with a cocktail and a book
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Oh! Any idea if Kalapaki Beach has shade? Do they have permanent shade (i.e., palm trees or shade tents/"huts") or do I have to rent an umbrella?
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Kal

iamq,
\/

When at Kalapaki I stay in the shade at Duke's, JJ's Broiler or Kukui.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 07:50 PM

You can try these sites for lots of info:

www.gohawaii.com They will send you a free brochure

www.thisweek.com XXX This Week Kauai

www.spotlighthawaii.com XXX Kauai Gold

www.101thingstodo.com XXX 101 Things Kauai

www.alternative-hawaii.com

www.hawaiiweb.com

www.kauaidiscovery.com They will send you a free brochure.

www.kauai-hawaii.com

XXX You can pick up hard copies of these at the airport baggage area and other places for free.

Also pick up a copy of The Aloha MAPS Of Hawaii for free at the baggage area.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 08:19 PM

It's ben a few years...but I do recall Kalapaki Beach has shade (trees) at the edges. I don't do well in full sun, so would've remembered if there was NO shade. Also, there are picnic tables and grass around its edges.
Are you staying at the Marriott, whcih borders K Beach?
While there, do try Kalapaki Beach Hut 9around the bend) burgers, including their buffalo burgers. The're "one" licious. Also, they do inexpensive brekfasts--have upstairs aera with view of the bay.
IF you like Japanese food, try Hanamaulu Tea House for dinner. Rservations usually recommended if on a weekend. Near Lihue, but get directions. Get seating in the courtyard rooms that surround the littleJapanese Gdn and fishpond in back. Food is pretty good...ambiance is great!!
There are good, inexpensive places to eat in Lihue (since you aked about Kalapaki, I'm thinking Lihue) : Ma's and Hamura's and
great pancake bkfsts at the Tip Top Motel /Cafe.
Get one of the numerous Kauai Guidebooks ( I like "Kaui Underground Guide" by Lenore Horowitz) for more excellent budget ideas.
Happy planning!
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 06:19 AM

Kalapaki Beach is one of my favorites!
At the far north end of the beach there are lounge chairs and restrooms provided by the Marriott but used exclusively (as far as I can tell) by residents and non-guests. There is soft green grass and shade trees. Since the Marriott lawn is expansive and there are plenty of lounge chairs closer to the hotel, I don't feel guilty or unwelcome spending a few hours at the north end. Follow the "to beach parking" signs.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 08:33 AM

Just to add to your vacation at an affordable price, the only way to see the whole island is by air. The helicopters are around $200++ per person. visit www.airventureshawaii.com. This is an airplane that gives the same tour as helicopters at half the price and they have windows like the helicopters too. Great for picture taking. It was AWESOME!!! ENJOY!
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

You guys and gals are great! Thank you so much for your helpful input!

Please, keep the suggestions coming, as I will print this listing for my mom and I to review on the plane. Maybe 14 hours won't be so bad afterall!
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Kal

Cali-good call on K'Beach Hut. Nice people, too.
Love Horowitz' book. A better "feel" for the island than The Blue Book from #ell.

kmg, Your Mom up for an ATV tour? Some coupons to be found on the island.
Get to see some parts of the island not open for regular tourists.

Anybody suggest Hamura's or Dani's for cheap eats?
I'd suggest a good place in Hanalei for grub but Auntie M may "Wake Up" and get mad at me.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 07:28 PM

KMG-Sorry about all the typos in my earlier response. I meant "ono"licious. Ono is "yummy" in Hawaii! Sorry--i get so jazzed about Hawaii, I post t messages without first editing, and later have to make excuses and apologies

KALKAHUNA Bro--HURRAY!!!!!! Sooooo glad you wrote that about Lenore Horowitz's book. She's a fellow Bay Area person, and will personally answer enquiries too, from readers of the book. A portion of the profit from her book she gives to groups on Kauai. She does hetr best to publicize local businesses. Her love for the island and appreciation of its people is so evident. And i guess you know her condo at Lae Nani is right next to your abode on Kauai at Islander. We walked every night down the beach from Lae Nani to your recommended outdoors bar last summer and LOVED it. Yep, I recommended Hamura's above--thanks for the "second"
And re the Blue Books from you-know-where BIG YES of agreement. Those people have tooooo much influence. It's like they have it out for certain businesses . Pity the poor folks at the Aloha Pizza at Coconut Market Place--yet they seem to do ok despite the totlaly negative and sarcastic review in the Blue NOT Bible.
I wrote a response to someone on this forum yesterday, in answer to a Maui enquiry. They quoted a (highly inaccurate, IMHO) Blue Book review of a place I recommended. No prob--more room for me when i want to go!

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 11:36 PM

Hey kmg,
You can do a ton of things on Kauai for not much money. I am addicted to finding the best deals wherever I go. In looking up my notes from last years October trip, Island expenses (excluding car rental, room, air and souveniers) and including groceries, gas, dining and all activities for 12 days was $859.00 for 2 people. Averaged out to about $36pp per day. We also ate dinner out 10 of 12 nites, breakfast or lunch about 8 of 12 times.

Made plans for 2 timeshare presentations and were able to go on the tubin' adventure for free and the Napali Explorer snorkel/tour for about $31 each. Yes, it does take a few hours out of your time but if you plan it right (Hanalei Bay resort early morning presentation on our way to Ke'e Beach) it's a great money saver.

Lenore's Underground guide is fantastic for affordable and fun things to do and places to eat. Breakfast at Ma's Family Restaurant in Lihue was an experience, Lunch and pie at the Camp House Grill in Kalaheo and dinner at the Bull Shed in Wailua...all inexpensive and very good.

I also used the Hidden Kauai book for more of the adventures and felt that between the two had a really good view of all activities, tours, beaches and adventures. Oh- Lenore's Maha'ulepu beach walk was fantastic, a great all day beach adventure at no cost!

There are many adventures you can make on your own, you just have to be willing to explore and make that right turn onto the dirt road, bounce through a few potholes, evade the branches scratching the car and laugh over the "road narrows" signs on a road only 3 feet wide already---that's when you can find some of the most beautiful places to stop and explore in Kauai.

Have a great time!