Search

Kauai Budgeting Advice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai Budgeting Advice

Hello All,
We are so looking forward to visiting Maui and Kauai the end of this month. (August 21 - 31) Two days on Maui spent with dear friends and then off to Kauai to be married on the 25th. One sunset cruise scheduled and lots of love, relaxation and snorkeling the rest of the time.
That’s the good news

Here’s the bad news
The economic downturn has hit home in a personal way, one of us was laid off last week. Thank goodness airfare, hotel, wedding, and car all are paid in full. That said we have to scale back our spending while still enjoying all the islands have to offer. Our hotel has breakfast covered daily, we will pack a lunch or two, want to sample local cuisine a when possible, and budget in one nice dinner in celebration of our wedding day.
If some of you with experience could chime in and offer experiences and budgeting advice we’d be so pleased. Thank you so much, Todd and Carole
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 04:39 PM

There are many eateries on both islands that are very reasonable---even some are "cheap". The locals know about them but many are not marketed to tourists. The most comprehensive list of them are in the 2 travel guides by Doughty--- Maui Revealed and The Ultimate Kauai Guide Book. These books might be available in your library or you can buy them used, cheaply on Amazon.com.
You can definitely eat cheaply in the islands. They even have McDonalds, Taco Bell and all the other fast foodies. The cheapest of all, of course, is to get stuff from a grocery store to make your own picnic lunch.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 04:41 PM

I have not been to Kauai, so I'm not much help, but I know that on the other islands, if you search for places where the locals eat, you can dine fairly cheaply. Hopefully, you'll get some good advice here. It would help, though, if people know where you were staying (at least general area), whether you'll have a rental car, and if you are looking for advice beyond where to eat, specifically what you are interested in doing.

What I think is great about the Hawaiian islands is that nature is free and all beaches are public - and there's plenty of both. Sunsets and star watching - free. You can often find free hula shows and watch them instead of going to a luau. I don't know whether snorkeling from shore is recommended on Kauai, but if so, then that's free (other than renting equipment). I think that on Kauai, getting to the Na Pali coast would be the one "activity" type of thing that I would splurge on. From what I've read, it's best to get there by sea rather than view it from helicopter.

If you Google "Free Kauai," "Free hula Kauai," "Kauai plate lunch" and "Budget Kauai," you'll get a lot of ideas.

Here are a couple of links to get you started:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g2...heap.Eats.html

http://www.hawaiiforvisitors.com/kau...ing-budget.htm

Have a great time! And good luck with job hunting!
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 05:48 PM

I sometimes worry about rats when staying in a cheap motel. My passport photo would scare them away. It could be invaluable!
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 11:14 PM

Just returned from an exceptionally romantic dinner at Scotty's BBQ on the Coconut Coast. Our meals (no alcoholic beverages or desserts) were $68 for two -- with tax & tip. For me, that's a splurge -- although it's nowhere near what many pay for dinners out. The food was fantastic (amazing ribs) -- and the views are even better. It was a gorgeous night and we sat overlooking the ocean.

We were stuffed after the huge meal and took a slow stroll along the path, watching the sunset and the surfers from Kealia Beach.

Cheaper favorite meals on Kauai include Hamura's Saimon (I've been there three times on this trip) where dinner runs under $10 pp -- and is a totally unique, very "Hawaiian" experience.

Also love the setting and food at Neide's (Brazilian/Mexican) in Hanalei. Very inexpensive.

A favorite East Shore local dive in Waipouli family restaurant for the best broccoli beef anywhere.

And as previous posters mentioned ... there's Subway subs and supermarket picnics on the beach.

There's no need to spend a lot of money to have a great time in Kauai. Enjoy!
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 03:39 AM

Hmm. How did my strange post about passport photos end up on this thread? I thought I was responding to a passport thread. Weird!!!
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the great advice and considerate replies. One poster asked where we are staying; The Hilton. And yes a car is part of the package we purchased. And yes we purchased The Ultimate Kauai Guide Book well in advance of the trip. The two most important items on our agenda are visiting old friends on Maui, we all graduated high school together many many many moons ago. And getting married on Kauai. I figure we'll spend the 26th ensconced in our hotel room honeymooning, that eliminates food and beverage for at least one day ;

Perhaps we should have asked the question; where are the best places to eat and play on the cheap?
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 09:52 PM

I stayed at the Hilton recently and enjoyed it--but the restaurant is very expensive. You'll be close to Hamura's Saimon and the Waipouli restaurant I mentioned.

I love walking on the beach and path from the Hilton toward Lydgate Park. Beautiful! And be sure to visit the waterfalls .... they're free!
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 10:00 PM

Hamura Saimin's in Lihue is awesome and cheap too..James Beard winner..you'd never know it.
Happy hour deals..find that's the best anywhere you go!
Maui..Maui Tacos..Gazebo in Napili, Hula Grill..split an entree or a couple of app's and a drink.
look for the coupon books..2 for 1 drink specials..you might have to fight me off if it comes down to just one..we'll be there first week of September.
I hit up the Costco but you have to be careful on the spending..I go for the beer/wine and ahi poke and some mango and passionfruit pie.
Aloha to you..
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again to all who offered your advice and recommendations.

The bags are packed, for the umpteenth time, and we're positively giddy with excitement. Storms have passed without incident, all arrangements are complete, we're biding our time until Friday morning.

Will post a trip report upon return and share our love, laughter and adventures with all. Thanks again to all.