Kauai excursions while pregnant?

Sep 13th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Kauai excursions while pregnant?

My wife and I are headed to Kauai at the end of October. She'll be ~6 months pregnant at that point, so I'm wondering what excursions/activities we can do. I've already seen that some of the kayak companies specifically exclude pregnant women, and I imagine other vendors do the same.

Any recommendations on what we should try to do?
Sep 13th, 2007, 07:28 PM
kealalani

Simply savour each and every beach you can. Excursions are for the tourists with time and money to burn.....relax and enjoy it with no agenda or list.

One of my favorite excursions is walking to the end of the pier in Hanalei at sunset and talking story with the locals fishing in summer or watching the surfers in winter.

Where are you staying?

Sep 13th, 2007, 09:15 PM

Hi! I just went to Kauai at 5 months pregnant. We didn't do any "excursions" - most boat companies won't take PG women either (and even if they did... a rough ocean boat trip wile PG doesn't sound so good...).

Honestly, I was too tired most of the time to be as active as I normally would have been on vacation anyways.

We drove Waimea canyon and hiked part of the Pihea trail in Koke'e, snorkeled one day at Tunnels, played in the water and enjoyed the sun one day at Anini. One morning at the lighthouse. Several afternoons in our condo with all windows open to catch the amazing breeze - we both just lay around reading. I was super relaxing! The most active days we had were the seond day (shopping in Koloa) and the hike... after the shopping I was exhausted, after the hike I was tired but not too much as it had been nice and cool along the way (whereas shopping in Koloa it was SUPER hot that day).

I used to have great stamina but pregnant, not so much. I get tired much faster - and that's fairly typical of most pregnant women. Try not to plan too much so your wife won't get overtired One thing we'd meant to do (but I was too tired for) was visit one of the gardens... you might consider that - won't require too much effort (heck, if you shedule with Na Aina Kai they will drive you arund the garden!) so it won't tire her out too much (most have walking tours).
Sep 14th, 2007, 03:51 AM

Lots of them won't allow pregnant women (ziplining, horseback riding, etc...). But I agree with the other posters -- you don't need excurions on Kauai. The one thing I would say to do, however, would be to take a catamaran tour to Na Pali. It's simply amazing, and we saw so much wildlife on the way (dolphins, monk seal, turtles). If she can do a boat ride without getting sick, check it out!
Sep 14th, 2007, 05:27 AM

I really advise you NOT to take a catamaran trip. We've been on lots of these, and the one we did on Kauai remains as one of the highlights of our lives, but it was VERY BUMPY on the way back. The waves were very rough, and every had to move from the front of the boat. And we had to hold on tight to keep from being knocked off.

We had a blast doing this, but I would definitely not recommend this for a pregnant woman.

Hiking is better, because you can control when you stop and rest, and when you need to go back.

The scenery in Kauai is beautiful. The last time we were there (with our 3 kids) we didn't do any organized excursions, and we had a wonderful time.

Where on the island are you staying?
Sep 14th, 2007, 02:46 PM

You might consider taking one of the Smith river boat tours of Wailua River, it is very gentle and has lots of nice entertainment. You can then walk to the Fern Grotto (which is nothing special these days), very short walk. Cost is only about $20 pp.

Na Pali boat tours are nice, but she might or might not get sick and the end of October is iffy, the ocean starts to get rougher then (we always go in Sep. or Oct) although we did make it over to Niihau one year in October on HoloHolo.

But yes, the canyon, mild hiking for the exercise, maybe visit Limahuli Gardens when visiting the North Shore, this also is only about $20 pp for the self guided tour and hiking is only about 3/4 mile or less although on hilly grounds.
Sep 17th, 2007, 03:59 PM

I don't see why you can't do a helicopter ride. It is as smooth as glass, and it is an experience like no other. I loved it and I would do it if I were 6 months pregnant with child. Do it you will not be sorry.
Sep 25th, 2007, 12:46 PM

I was 6 month pregnant last yeat when we traveled to Kauai. I wasn't allowed to do much per the vendors. I still had a great time. Relish the quiet time that will soon be gone after the little one arrives. Spa services are always good too. I do have to say, it was kind of a let down after previously traveling there and doing so many activites-I wanted to zipline, etc. and wasn't allowed---grrrr!
Sep 25th, 2007, 03:10 PM

I'm 8 mos pregnant and traveled to Hawaii at 7 mos. I was definitely very tired and could not keep up as much as I'd have liked! In Kauai I'd recommend the Wailua River--can you rent your own kayak and paddle yourselves?--it's beautiful and peaceful, and you can take over the paddling if your wife gets too exhausted.

If you are staying at the Hyatt or nearby, there are a series of bluffs to one side of the hotel. They overlook the ocean and make for a nice, very easy hike with a lot of scenic bang for little effort.

Snorkeling is a wonderful activity for pregnant women. You can try up north at Tunnels, or south at Poipu Beach.

Just hop in the car and drive around the island--there's plenty to see.
Oct 1st, 2007, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

We are staying at the Hyatt, so will check out that hike, and also look into renting kayaks. We discovered on our honeymoon that our tandem kayaking experience is better when I paddle, she watches

Search this Thread