Search

Kauai honeymoon planning

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2003, 05:00 PM
hy
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai honeymoon planning

We are planning a 6nts/7days honeymoon in Kauai (June 8-14) and thought about splitting our time between north (Princeville resort) and south shore (Hyatt). Is this a good idea?

If we do the split, any suggestions on where we should start our trip, north or south? For now, I've reserved the Princeville (junior suite) for 3 nts to start and the rest of the 3 nts at the Hyatt (mt. view).

As far as activity, I am thinking we should do a luau (the Smith's Tropical?), Inter-island helicopter ride, some boat ride, and guided tours as well.

Any suggestions on an ideal itinerary during our stay while at the Princeville Resort and at Hyatt Poipu?

Hy
Old May 2nd, 2003, 03:02 AM

While you are at the Princeville...go to kee beach and hike the napali coastline.

On the south shore...explore the waimea canyon, get pizza at brick oven and have a romantic sunset dinner at the beach house.

We haven't been there yet...but these seem to be a few of the must-dos that I have read about here and elsewhere. We are going in May and staying the entire time at the Princeville resort. If it were me, I would probably want to stay on the north shore for the last leg..especially with a junior suite.

I would probably skip the luau unless you are really dead set on doing one.

Consider purchasing the Ultimate Guide to Kauai. I'm sure all the kauai fans here will tell you the same...and also give you some ideas.

happy honeymooning!
Old May 2nd, 2003, 04:46 AM

Just came back from a week in Kauai and a week on the Big Island. Your hotel choices are excellent. I have not stayed at the Princeville, but have been there twice for drinks overlooking Hanalei Bay. I do understand that the weather on the north side is not as sunny as the south side. As a matter of fact, both times I have driven to Princeville, it has been rainy or cloudy. I have not stayed at the Hyatt, but understand it is the nicest hotel on the south side. We took Inter- Island helicopters this trip. Just an FYI in case you did not know. They have no doors-which is not a biggie, but just wanted you to know. Because of that, it is extremely windy. If you have long hair, definitely tie it back. My hair is shoulder length and it took me about 1/2 hour to get the knots out. It was also very cold I had on long pants and a sweatshirt and was still cold, so dress appropriately. I would think the weather would be much better in the south for sitting in the sun. So I would decide if you want to relax in the sun on the beginning of your trip or the end. Have a great time. You will absolutely love Kauai. It's my favorite place to be.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 07:25 AM
Kal

Congrats. Probably can't go wrong starting out on either end of the Garden Isle in June.

You may want to check and see if Tahiti Nui is open still (was as of 11-02) because it seems to be the one a few luaus our local friends prefer. It's up near Pville so you may wish to work it in while up there?

And, at least hike the first mile up the NaPali Coast. That first "view" stop when you turn the corner is magnificent!

While in Poipu, I'd suggest a guided ATV Tour.

We did the sunset tour and will def. be back for the Waterfall Tour...if we can get our lazy okoles off the beach long enuff.
You guys golf? P'ville course is gorgeous. Even if you don't golf, see if they still rent golf carts out after 4:00pm or so so you can simply take a tour of the course...and take a lot of film.

Funny....But I never had a problem w/ my hair blowing around during the helicopter tours. ;-)
Kal

239!
Old May 2nd, 2003, 10:24 AM

For our honeymoon, my wife and I stayed for 7 nights at the Hyatt on the south shore. You will really enjoy it.

1. Try a round of golf at the Poipu Bay Course right next to the hotel. If you're pressed for time, start at the back 9 holes for the most scenic fairways in the world!

2. Helicopter tours are a must-do.

3. On the north coast, the hike on the Napali Coast was our favorite activity -we went all the way up to the beach and the Hanakapiai Falls. It took the whole day, but was very rewarding.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 04:52 PM

I was in Princeville in July. The hotel is beautiful and if you are there Sunday morning have brunch!

I was only there for the weekend so I only have one suggestion. If you enjoy horseback riding you should try Princeville Ranch. I think that's what it's called. They have group or private rides. It includes a picnic lunch. It was really nice. I enjoyed it very much.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 06:27 PM

Tp Hy I travel to Kauai every year and would make this suggestion....either hotel you choose is top rank and the island is only 30 miles in diameter, so why waste even a few precious hours transferring from 1 hotel to another when you can cross the island at ease. I would pick one and spend the entire trip there and travel to other points on the Island, unless you enjoy packing and unpacking. I have some personal tips and info if you'd care to email me.