Honeymoon accomodations for Kauai?

Old Jan 24th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Honeymoon accomodations for Kauai?

Hi,
I have been planning my honeymoon in Kauai and need some help! We will be in Maui for the first week of our trip (getting married there) so i have spent most of my time researching about Maui and not Kauai! We plan to "honeymoon" in Kauai for seven days following the Maui wedding.
I have priced with the Princevile (basic room)and have been considering it; however, i have read mixed reviews so i am little concerned. I dont mind spending 450-500 a night for our room, but if it isn't really nice i will be sad!
Just for peace of mind, i would like to research some other properties. It would be great if i could find something not quite as expensive. Has anyone stayed at Gloria's spouting horn B and B? I read one nice review in one of my guide books, but can't find any other feedback. I also read (I think here) about one honeymooning couple who staying in some type of nice cottage in Kauai..that sounds really nice. I am still open to hotels as well, but would like to avoid the Hyatt because i hear it is a great place for families and kids (I know there are kids everywhere in Hawaii, but i believe some hotels draw more families than others...)
Thank you so much for your help!
Becca in Austin
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 11:50 AM

Congratulations! It is really nice at the Princeville Hotel, we honeymooned at the adjacent Hanalei Bay Resort(~3) which shares the same views and beach (also got married on this beach) with the Princeville but can only recommend the 1BR condo units at HBR, not the small hotel rooms; HBR is not in the same league as the top 2 resorts which are the Princeville Hotel and the Hyatt (ranked #2 and #4 throughout Hawaii by Travel Channel in 2003). Many upscale condo values can be found in Princeville resort, recommend oceanfront if you can deal without the service one can get in a Hotel.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 06:49 PM

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!
My husband and I have had great luck buying a week at a timeshare on Kauai in Princeville on eBay. The property is called Pua Poa(?) and is beautiful - we've stayed in 2 different units and both of them have had breathtaking views of the ocean. the units are exceptionally large with full kitchens, 2 bdrms and lanais for relaxing and the property is very quiet.
Right next to it is a path down the cliff to a beautiful beach (Hideaway Beach)that you'd probably have all to yourselves..
ck out eBay>travel>lodging>vacation rentals
Spouting Horn is at the other end of the island and is much more touristy with alot more going on. If you prefer going out in the evening for entertainment, having shops nearby, etc than you'd enjoy that end of Kauai.
Good luck!
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 07:06 PM

Secret Beach Hideaway might be an option. www.secretbeachkauai.com
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 02:06 AM

Becca: Princeville dwarfs the Spouting Horn area in terms of natural beauty. South Kauai is nice and it's dry. The grounds and manmade lagoon of the Hyatt are world class. North Kauai is oft wet and the waters too rough in which to swim (winter), but the milieu is lush and magical and doesn't exist in south Kauai. Princeville is ranked by Conde Nast readers, among many others, as one of the finest hotels in the world, comfortable alongside the Plaza Athenee and Ritz in Paris, among other luminous establishments.
The field is outside my ken, but, I understand Princeville can be got for less than the prices you're looking at-we've been offered packages well below those. Shop the rates.
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 03:07 PM

Becca -
My husband and I stayed at Gloria's B&B in April 2003 and can't I say enough great things about our stay! We are not the "resort" type (don't need pools, activities, etc) and found Gloria's to be perfect for us. Each of 3 rooms overlooks the ocean, huge rooms with wonderful(and spacious) balconies, very quiet, great breakfasts and Gloria is a wonderful host. We found it to be very romantic and peaceful. For all of the wonderful things to do and see in Kauai, this was definately a highlight.
I'm happy to answer any other questions about it.....
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 04:53 PM

My husband and I honeymooned at the Hyatt and loved it. I really did not notice alot of kids. Their pool is tremendous and the grounds are beautiful. It has a very tropical feel.
The princeville has a much different feel. Alot of marble, etc, . I did not get a real Hawaiian feel there. Although the view is spectacular.
Stayed at Hanalei bay Resort next door to the P'ville. Had a mountain view studio room. THe mountain view room was just as beautiful. Our oom had a small kitchenette ( microwave, sink, small fridge, etc.)
Have fun!
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 12:00 PM

Hi,
We honeymooned in Kauai and stayed at one of the secret beach hidaway cottages. It was amazing! Very luxurious. We loved having a kitchen and a washer and dryer. It was very romantic to be able to just relax and not have to get dressed and leave to go eat if we didn't want to. I highly recommend it! In the guestbook a couple of people mentioned staying at the Princeville also and found the cottage much more luxurious and relaxing.
Hope this helps! Also, rent a convertible
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all! I think i just need to try it all! (I wish)
That is what is the hardest...there are so many great places to choose from. Regarding the Princeville, the best deal i could find was by joining the Starwood Members Clufree membership). You get 30-35% off rack rates, however, you can't go any lower than an ocean view. So, it is still expensive. If anyone has seen any other deals, i would appreciate it. I haven't found ANY deals on the Hyatt or the Secret Cottages. IF you hear of anything...please let me know! i want to pick something pretty soon. Thank you again for all your help.
excited becca!
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 05:13 PM

To use Starwood on one of the less expensive rooms at the Princeville you have to book at least 8 months out, in my experience. If you go through Pleasant Holidays you can get 6th night free and breakfast daily at the Hyatt but it will still work out to about $400. per night.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. By the way, i have no idea how that "yuck" face got on my post! (in between Starwood? Very wierd). I also did not do the smiley face at the end! strange.
thank you all for your help!