Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Should we stay near Poipu Beach on Kauai, what hotel or area is best?

Old Feb 28th, 2007, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

My travel agent is working on our honeymoon. We want the sunny side of the island, places to snorkel, trails and waterfalls to explore. We think we want to stay in a hotel rather than a condo (like the outrigger plantation)

Any suggestions?
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 01:35 PM

It depends on what you want to do. It's not a huge island, so you can get around fairly easily, but if you think you want to be centrally located so you're never driving more than an hour or so, I'd suggest something on the south coast - Poipu is very pretty and you can see the sunset from there.
Another option (if you don't mind more driving) is Hanalei, which is quiet and cute. We stayed at the very end of the north shore in Haena, last tiny town before the Kalalau Trail, past Hanalei. It was a 2-hour drive to the stuff we wanted to do on the south and west coasts, so not very convenient, but quiet and wonderful. Good luck, and have a wonderful honeymoon! (Really, you can't go wrong anywhere)
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:52 PM

Unless I missed something, it really depends on when you go. In the summer, the north shore(Hanalei and Princeville) have the most calm waters and the Poipu area is more unsettled. Poipu has the lovely Hyatt but I did not think much more. It is the north shore that is a must see!Have you checked out the Princeville..sunsets to die for...again it depends on when?
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 11:53 AM

I was in Kauai a few weeks ago and stayed at the Marriott. Its about ten minute drive from the airport, good beach, hotel has great resturaunt. across the street is a strip mall with good resturants, and a good steakhouse is right on the beach which u can walk to from hotel. About a ten minute drive is the town of Lihue, there is a walmart, costco, sears, etc. The island isn't big so it won't take long to go anywhere, except on Saturday when everyone is off work, and they only have two lane highways on island.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 10:53 PM

There's a couple of different Marriott's in Kauai. We stayed at the one on Poipu Beach, and absolutely loved it. I'd definitely recommend it. We drove to the Sheration for a drink at the bar there. That hotel looked amazing too. Good luck!
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Ag3046

The Hyatt Poipu is the best hotel for honeymoon/weddings. The pool system is great. Much nicer than the Sheraton or the Marriott.