Carmel lodgings

Old Apr 18th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Carmel lodgings

We're going to the Monterey Coast for our 18 year anniversary. We're staying at Spanish Bay Inn for 2 nights for the golf, then we're moving to Carmel for 2 nights. Any recent Tickle Pink Inn or Highlands Inn recommendations/comments?
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 02:19 PM

As you leave Spanish Bay Inn turn left on 17 Mile Drive and continue on that road till you exit past the guard post. At the stop sign by the Deli turn left again on Hwy 68 and drive the coast. This road is Sunset and will be filled with cars at sunset. You are also now in the town of PACIFIC GROVE. It has a great coastline and a muni golf course along the ocean than you can play for about $40.00 per 18. It looks over the same Pacific Ocean that Spanish Bay does. You may want to try it out for fun.

There are also two nice bed and breakfast hotels in old Victorians that have Monterey Bay views: GREEN GABLE INN or INN OF SEVEN GABLES. You are still close to Carmel and PG has a great downtown. Many people who visit for the first time are unaware of this great little town. Just a thought.

Enjoy the area.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 02:50 PM

I agree with Bob, Pacific Grove is my favorite place to stay in the Monterey area. I would recommend looking at the Monterey Bay Inns (they own four small properties, including the Sunset Inn--very cute). Pacific Grove is also not as touristy feeling as Monterey or Carmel. Their chamber of commerce is extremly helpful--call them as well for hotel/bed and breakfasts.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 03:05 PM

Thanks Bob1 and Kikihead for your advice. I am looking at the Sunset Inn right now. It looks like an interesting place. They show many indoor/room pictures, but not much of the grounds. If you have been there, would you mind sharing more information about the place please? I am considering 2 nights in August in the area (enough to do? -not golfers). Is there any beach here?

Paul
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 01:56 PM

Paul: I stayed at the Sunset Inn about a year ago--they do not show you the grounds because there really isn't much--it almost looks slightly motel style (all one level). The room we had was great!! It is on a really quiet street and we were two or three blocks from the beach. The fireplace (gas powered) was a GREAT addition to the room. The king room in the back of the property is on a second level and looked fantastic (we stayed in a normal room). The continental breakfast was nice for us--we don't really eat a big breakfast so it was nice to grab a bagel and orange juice before heading out.
We don't golf--spent our weekend tidepooling, fishing, and watching the otters in the water. The beaches are great--can get cold but worth it to see the beautiful sunset!!!
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 04:36 PM

The Sunset Inn is not the same in the same caliber as either the Tickle Pink or The Highlands Inn.Its a nice converted motel but if you are already staying at Spanish Bay it will be a letdown in quality.The two above hotels have some of the best views of Northern California coast you will ever see.The restaurant at the Highlands Inn is literaly world class in ambience and food preparation.Its called the Pacifics Edge.Ask the Conceriege at Spanish Bay About it.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 09:03 PM

Response to PAUL above: There is plenty to do on the Monterey Peninsula anytime you visit. We are in Pacific Grove as I write this. Come down about every weekend as we have a home here. Check out www.pacificgrove.org for info on the city, hotels, events, etc. One great area.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 10:31 PM
L

I would agree with Lovejoy above. If you want a hotel vaguely close to Inn at Spanish bay in Pacific Grove, it would have to be a bed and breakfast like the Green Gables. The Tickle Pink and Highlands are suppose to be very nice. I had brunch at Highlands once and it was a wonderful atmosphere.
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 09:32 AM

Green Gable in Pacific grove is a lovely place. Even if you end up in the rooms behind the main house you'll be happy. I still have the fuzzy teddy bear I purchased in their gift shop.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info..We tried the Green Gables, but it wasn't available for our dates and the Seven Gables better rooms were gone, as well. I still don't have a sense of which to choose...the Highlands Inn or Tickle Pink. Also, any suggestions for food and sightseeing?
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:10 PM

We stayed at Tickle Pink last December and I was not impressed. In my opinion very overpriced for the condition of the rooms.

Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:48 PM

If Green Gables and Seven Gables are full try the GOSBY HOUSE. It is located in downtown Pacific Grove and has nice rooms and great location for exploring downtown and walking to the beach.

Another idea is ASILOMAR. Owned by State of California and very popular for meetings and group functions, but does take single reservations. It is located across the street from the beach.

Eating:

BAHAMA BILLYS is new and owned by a well known restauranteur of the area. Located in the beautiful Barnyard Shopping Center off Hwy 1 in Carmel.

FANDANGOS in Pacific Grove. Hard to beat for ambiance and good food.

ROYS at Spanish Bay Resort. Go watch the bagpiper at sundown while sitting next to the fire pit outdoors on the ocean then into Roy's for good food.

HULAS in Monterey. Locals love it. Basic burger joint with some great other foods you will not see other places. Hawaiian theme. Very casual.

FISHWIFE in Pacific Grove. Looks like a joint from the outside, but very nice inside and great seafood. Locals love it. Always busy. On HWY 68 near the beach and ASILOMAR.

BAJA CANTINA. On Carmel Valley Road. Very casual. Mexican food. Neat inside. Has car motif with old signs.

MISSION RANCH in Carmel near the Mission. Owned by Clint Eastwood. Open for dinner on weekends. Piano bar and nice bar to wait. Hotel is also a great place to stay....MISSION RANCH INN.

Gotta go....
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 04:54 PM

After much research, I have chosen to stay in a fireplace suite at the Normandy Inn. It seems to fit my needs, and I have read nothing but excellent reviews about this place. Other considerations were La Playa (while a very lovely place, the many comments about ypaper-thin wallsy helped me look elsewhere) and the Tickle Pink Inn (out of town a short ways).

The Normandy Inn is right downtown, and for my first visit to the area, I felt that to be best.

If interested in various websites, here they are:

The Normandy Inn
http://www.normandyinncarmel.com/

La Playa
http://laplayahotel.com/

Tickle Pink Inn
http://www.ticklepinkinn.com/home.htm

I must say, that with all of the reading I have been doing on hotels in the area, the first negative comment I have read about the Tickle Pink Inn has happened to appear by the previous poster, Bronica.

gtrgrl y If you would like a copy on the reviews I have accumulated, I would be happy to forward them to you y just write me at [email protected]. Thanks to everyone that has helped me with my travels to CA.

Happy Trails,
Paul

Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 04:58 PM

The Highlands Inn, a Hyatt property, is absolutely wonderful. It's a 10-minute drive down the road from downtown Carmel. Food. Service. Views of the ocean. Decor. .... All top-notch.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 07:55 PM

just stayed and tickle pink and liked it very much. place is lovely.