Kauai, Good traditional Hawaiian food.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First trip to Kauai coming up, any recommendations for restaurants that server what would be considered traditional Hawaiian food, on the cheap? I suppose that the Luau's are good for this, and we will do one of those (recommendation on a good place to experience a Luau would be helpful as well), but are there any secret little spots where one can find good food cheap (our budget isn't huge) and that would be representative of some of the original foods on Kauai? We are staying in Poipu, but will be driving all over.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 11:27 AM

Hmmm...not sure what your concept of "traditional Hawaiian food" might be...for some folks, it's poi, laulau, poke and rice. For others, it's the wonderful mix of the various ethnic poplulations here in the islands -- some sushi, some adobo, some kalua pig...and some kim chee on the side. 8-)

If you want a traditional island "plate lunch" (2 scoops rice, mac salad, and one or two entrees), try Mark's Place (Puhi), Pono Market (Kapa`a). They run around $6 or so -- and will leave you stuffed.

Be sure to also enjoy Hamura's Saimin in Lihu`e -- try the "special", plus barbecued chicken sticks, plus fried wonton, and a slice of their awesome lilikoi (passion fruit) pie. Yum!
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 04:12 PM

...also Fish Express (across street from Wal-Mart), and Sobe's in the Kukui Grove Shopping Center food court.

I grabbed plate lunch at Pono Market for a friend today. Had a choice of laulau, beef stew, shoyu chicken, kalua pig & cabbage, or chili -- then a choice of having it served "Hawaiian Plate" (lomi salmon & 2 scoops rice) or "Regulah" (mac salad & 2 scoops rice).

Definitely _not_ approved by Dr. Atkins!
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 04:25 PM

Here's a second for Hamura's Saimin, and to what auntiemaria's already suggested, I'd add a little place on the main drag in Hanapepe. Can't remember the name, but great plate lunch and teriyaki for cheap.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 04:32 PM

Fish Express: Some of the most fiercely alien (and raw and spicy) seafood you will ever experience. Not for the faint of palate, but worth a visit even if you just look. Don't know if they have remodeled Hamura Saimin, but this was kind of dumpy last time I was there; popular with the "Let's Go" type crowd. For other inexpensive breakfast fare, try Camp House Grill or Ono Family Restaurant (loved their fried rice). I also liked Green Garden, and be sure to go for a shave-ice or two. You definitely don't have to spend all your time at fancy expensive restaurants to eat well. We don't even bother with Roy's for example on our trips considering the shopping center locale and locations in every major mainland city. Be sure to stop into a "Big Save" or other local market and sample a few of the different grocery items. I am not a big fan of the hotel luau, but if it is your first trip you will have to do one I suppose.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 06:44 PM

Thanks to auntiem's suggestion I am now hopelessly addicted to the marinated, deep fried chicken pieces from the Pono Market. We had plate lunch there too. YUMMY!
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 07:17 AM

Binthair:

In addition to their extensive selection of fresh fish and poke (including kim chee crab...painfully spicy at times!), Fish Express has some great hot plate lunches, too.

What you describe as "kinda dumpy" at Hamura Saimin, is what most of us find charming about it. Nothing fancy -- just a great come-as-you-are saimin stand. Wooden stools, old formica countertops...and there's always a line of folks waiting patiently for a seat.

And the Foodland (grocery) stores all have plate lunch offerings in their deli sections -- and fresh sushi, too.

Old Dec 14th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Kal

Fish Express no ka oi!

Poke

Ono Loa Cafe in the CocoMktplace made some chicken wrapped in taro leaves wrapped in palm leaves that was very good.

Nui Nachos (kalua pork) at Waimea Brew Co on the Westside.

I consider the white chocolate mac nut cookies at Foodland traditional, no?