Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best Places to Eat in Kauai- Low & High End??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be on Kauai for 10 nights in February. What are some favorite places to eat? We have a guidebook, but they seem to like almost everything... want to know you favorites. Also, can you recommend someplace where I can take a break from travel binges with a great salad? Thanks! Kimberly (& Jeffrey)
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 07:40 AM

Less than $10 - Kalapaki Beach Hut (good sandwiches)

$10 - $15 - Shrimp Station near Waimea (walk up and order, eat outside at picnic tables - good shrimp), Brick Oven Pizza (really good pizza - we ordered to go and took it to Polihale to see the sunset)

over $15 - Roys (everything we had was good - molten chocolate cake was great!)

There was also a wonderful bakery just south of Kalapaki that had wonderful butter cookies and pastries.

We thought Paradise Shave Ice in Hanalei was good.

Can't really remember any great "salad" places.

Happy eating!
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 07:58 AM

Cafe Polynesia in Hanalei = good food, low prices, fun people watching. They have a large selection of salads.

The ahi poke stack at Sushi Blues in Hanalei is "onolicisous".

We really like Postcards in Hanalei for a nice, semi pricey dinner. Fish and vegetarian menu.

Hukilau Lanai in Kapa'a
Coconuts in Kapa'a

Many, many others. Maybe the Kapa'a K9 crowd will chime in on their favorite haunts?

-Bill

Old Jan 27th, 2007, 08:16 AM

Have another pizza place I know it sounds strange let's all go to Kauai for pizza. This one is in Waimea it's just little place on the end of the steakhouse building on mainstreet sorry I don't remember the name. They make a lomi lomi pizza that is excellent.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 10:43 AM

High end - The Beach House. Make a reservation for sunset and request a table by the window. Fabulous food and setting.

Very low end - Puka Dog. A favorite for the hot dog lovers in my family. A variety of tropical relishes and very good lemonade.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 11:08 AM
sistahlou

Pretty damned low end....

.....the night before, toss a few bottles of water into the freezer.....the morning of.....brew some coffee, stop at Wakeup Cafe for a macnut sweet roll, then, head to Hanalei Fish Co and pick up some onosalad to smeer on saltine crackers, and a california or spicy tuna roll, or some ahipoke.......HEAD TO THE BEACH

When you get hungry, snack, when you get thirsty drink your melted bottles of water, when you become completely parched - go to Wishing Well for some shaveice!

A VERY affordable day......stop back at Hanalei Fish Co. for a little local catch for the grill.

A day in Hanalei - Priceless!!!!!!

Old Jan 27th, 2007, 11:52 AM

The grocery store in town (Safeway?) can make delicious box lunches to go. We did this a few times and had our lunch at the beach...
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 12:59 PM

Sistah, where is da Hanalei Fish Company? mahalo.

-pila
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 01:17 PM

Like wtm said, get a window resrvation at the Beach House. Make the reservation early.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 01:27 PM

If you are into ramen and local flavor, Hamura's saimin is the place to go. Expect to wait for a seat. Order shrimp tempura on the side....and save room for lilikoi pie.

high end: Princeville resort. we just did the sunday brunch there and it was fantastic!

see? we must be adding as many things as the guidebook. It's all good eats, man.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 01:55 PM

Shrimp tempura at Hamura's? Hmmm..it's probably not on the menu board. I'll have to try those ones!

-Bill
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 10:41 PM
sistahlou

Ooops guess that would be Hanalei Dolphin Fish Market~

Old Jan 27th, 2007, 10:47 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad to hear Brick Oven Pizza is still alive and well - I was going to suggest it when I first saw this thread, but it's be awhile since I was on Kauai (7 years! Time to go back!), so didn't know if it was still around. Great food - we really like their salami pizza.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 06:42 AM

Sistah, Oh darn! I was hoping there was a new market in town. Oh well...

Bill
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 06:50 AM

Kauai Pasta.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 07:04 AM

Oppisite sides of the spectrum, both in Kapaa:

Low end goodness Pono Market deli case.
Yummy greasy brown bag lunches, hot and cold. (i think cash only)

GREAT salads- Blossoming Lotus. Every little thing they use is fresh as can be and prepared with love.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 10:05 AM

Polynesia Cafe has a new location in Kapa'a just a short ways past Scotty's BBQ (in addition to the Hanalei location in Ching Young Village). Excellent food... breakfast lunch dinner menu.

Second the Shrimp Station... their coconut shrimp is delish!

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 10:24 AM

Here's a 3rd for Shrimp Station. I loved their sweet chile garlic shrimp.

They have a website, but it's still under construction. http://www.shrimpstation.com/ We sat out on the picnic table and I cracked open a couple of brews I had in my small cooler. Don't know if you are "allowed" to do this, but no one seemed to care.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 05:03 AM

yup, you're allowed... we had brewsky's in our cooler and asked permission to bring them out... no worries said the employees. Poly Cafe in Hanalei is the same... BYO if you choose.

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 10:16 AM
lvk

Another vote for the poke and ono salad at Hanalei Dolphin Fish Market. The Hanalei Dolphin Restaurant also had good salads, as I recall. I also second Sushi Blues and Cafe Polynesia.

Breakfast at the Olympic Cafe in Kapa'a.

Fish flautas from the truck parked at Anini Beach (if it is still there).

Apple bananas, white pineapples, mangos and fresh fruit from the Hanalei Farmer's Market. I'm not sure what is in season in February. I'm sure the invaluable Auntie Maria will be along soon to help out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -