Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to find Hawaiian traditional food in Kauai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, from the lack of response to a query about luaus (and some further reading about them on this forum) I conclude that looking for one is not a good idea. Especially as we will have an 18 month old with us. So another question: can one find luau style food in a non-performance, non-touristic setting? In Kauai, around Christmastime?

Thanks for any culinary pointers or wider cultural advice!
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 10:30 PM

Some people from here told me about Pono Market in Kapa'a. we tried it for lunch and it was very good. the poki w/ rice was my favorite.
Some other places we tried and liked: KCL, a plate lunch place also in Kapa'a, Koloa fish market in Koloa and the snack stand at Sueoka Market in Koloa.
All of these places are take out except KCL. They don;t serve luau food, but traditional local dishes.
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 11:47 PM

We stay at the Hyatt in Poipu, and always make it a point to get a "plate lunch" from the take out window Seouka's in Koloa.

You can watch the Luau at the Hyatt from your balcony for free, if you are at the Poipu wing, or walk over there if you are at nearby condos, and sit on the beach to listen to the entertainment.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 12:17 AM

I've never been, but a quick google search shows primarily Aloha Diner in Kapaa, where "they have everything, from kalua pig to laulau".

Also the aforesaid Koloa Market and Koloa Market.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 05:53 AM

Aloha Diner closed over a year ago -- is now reopened (can't remember the name) and is rumored to have da kine grinds.

Glad to hear that the snack bar at Sueoka's in Koloa is still there (we live north shore and don't get down to that side too often). Here's my off-the-top-of-my-head list:

Westside: Grinds Cafe (Pt. Allen) has sit down dining; Ishihara Market (Waimea) for take-out

Puhi: Mark's Place (take-out)

Lihu`e: Kukui Grove Shopping Center food court has two take-out places, but offers lots of casual seating if you want to eat there; Oki Diner (downtown). And don't forget Hamura Saimin (they'll serve your small child a little bowl of noodles and broth -- sit down dining); Fish Express (across from Wal-Mart, take out)

Kapa`a: Pono Market (take-out); the deli at Foodland (take-out)

Northshore: Foodland at Princeville (take-out); Snack Shop (Ching Young Village in Hanalei -- take-out or dine in)

What we call "plate lunch" is usually comprised of 2 scoops rice, potato/mac salad, and one or two protein entrees (meat or fish or chicken). The plate lunch offerings change daily, from place to place. The portions are ample, packed in a styrofoam container, with fork (or chopsticks) included. Prices run about $6-$7.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Wonderful! If anyone digs up the new name of the former Aloha Diner, do post it..

Thanks so much for your help.

Old Nov 21st, 2007, 06:17 AM

It is now `Ohana Diner -- has about 4 tables, so take-out might be a better option. 8-)

And just next door is Popo's Cookies. Be sure to save room for dessert!
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 02:09 PM
koa

Ohana Diner is the spot for authentic Hawaiian food. Pono Market also has a decent Hawaiian plate, as well as Fish Express.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 03:13 PM

da imu hut hanapepe. the best ono hawaiian food, the usual plus kalbi, pork and peas, teriyaki. but that's just me.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 01:30 AM

Auntie Maria's da bomb, so whatever she says, goes. Long time no see, Auntie!
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 07:23 AM

<wave to PakePorkChop!!> 8-)

We need to do another "eat off" -- similar to our "who serves the best loco moco" of a few years back. No loco moco here like the wonderfully yummy ones served at Karen's Kitchen (Cooke Street, O`ahu). But I'm sure we could find some food stuffs to enjoy (slurp!).
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

In case everyone who answered here didn't see my pseudo-trip report, I tried as many of these places as fit into our travels. THANKS!! 'Ohana Diner was a total standout, great food.