Help with restaurants in Kauai

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2018, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Kauai in a few weeks. We are staying at Westin Princeville for the first half or our trip and The Grand Hyatt after. Was wondering if there are any good restaurant recommendations on the north side. Seems like there's not as many dining options up there. Are there any fish markets (in the north) where we can bring fish back to grill? We like fish/seafood places. Would rather not do pizza, Mexican, Thai...because we have plenty of those options in California

Also, any recommendations for special occasion dinner in the south shore? Was looking at Beach House and Tidepools. Looking for something like Mama's Fish House in Maui...which we loved. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 25th, 2018, 02:35 PM

In my experience, there are not as many restaurants in the north as there are in the south (Poipu/Koloa area). I believe there is a branch of The Dolphin in Hanalei - excellent seafood, both offered in the restaurant and in their fish market.

Special occasion restaurants in the South: Merriman's, the Beach House, Red Salt (my favorite of the three). There are a number of fish markets in the south to buy fish you can bring back to grill: The Dolphin, the Fish Market in Koloa and there is a fish market in Lihue.
Old May 25th, 2018, 03:27 PM

The Dolphin in Hanalei is not a branch. It is the tree. Great fish market. Ask to check out the cooler if its full it is spectacular to see the catch.
Old May 25th, 2018, 04:01 PM

lol, I was thinking of both locations of branches!
Old May 25th, 2018, 06:43 PM

The Dolphin is closed due to flood damage until July 16th. Postcards is also closed--with no scheduled opening date.

I believe you can buy fresh fish at the Kilauea Fish Market.

I hear great things about Ama (where Neide's used to be) in there same little center with Bar Acuda in Hanalei.
Old May 26th, 2018, 10:47 AM

Given the devastation from flooding on the north shore and closures of many places, you might want to reconsider where to spend the first part of your trip.
Old May 26th, 2018, 11:40 AM

NORTH Shore......We ate at Tiki Iniki in the Princeville shopping center which was good and very tropical. Also tried The Dolphin in Hanalei but was not impressed. Bad service, wrong order delivered but could have been a bad night as others rave about it. Great Fish Tacos is the Sleeping Giant Cafe I think in Kapaa or near by.

South Shore agree on Red Salt but it is expensive, loved the Beach House. Thankfully it is under new management and has been remodeled as the old one went pretty down hill. Merrimans and the new Roy's Fish House is excellent. Tide Pools at the Hyatt is lovely as well and our favorite for very low key and great vibes is Brennecke's in Po'ipu. Always a stop for us. Since we always rent a condo we do a lot of grilling and buy fresh fish,e tc. Enjoy your stay
Old May 26th, 2018, 09:16 PM

Kathie (and others): The ONLY restaurants that are closed are the two I mentioned. Hanalei town, Hanalei Bay, Anini Beach and Moloa'a are completely unaffected by the flooding--and are stunning. Everything is open. However ... per tonight's local news, tourists canceling their trips will have an impact that is more devastating than the floods or volcano. It is sad that the road to Lumahai Beach, Haena and Ke'e is closed. But there is much more to the North Shore.

I also like Tiki Iniki in the Princeville shopping center. I hear Monico's in Kapaa has great fish tacos.
Old May 27th, 2018, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely try some of the places mentioned.