Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best Place for Breakfast,Lunch, Dinner and Happy Hour in Kauai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 08:26 PM
TahitiTams

Would love to know all your secret local places in Kauai to eat..
We will be staying at the Grand Hyatt Mid Sept. for 6 days but we will be all over the island..
Hope the Costco is open by then!
Thank you all for your suggestions..

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We've been at the Grand Hyatt four times and always have the Breakfast Buffet included in our rate. It's excellent. Otherwise, Joe's on the Green in Poipu is known for their good breakfasts.

There really are no secret restaurants. They've been reported here time after time. Just do a search back, there are so many favorites.

In the Poipu area for the best sunset view is The Beach House, excellent food is Tidepools at the Hyatt and Roy's in Poipu. Casual and happy hour is Keoiki's Paradise. Etc.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 05:57 AM

Here's the restaurant review I wrote from my trip to Kauai in March.

Tip Cafe-Banana Macadamia Nut pancakes-awesome!

Hula Girl-Char Siu Ribs-very good.

Gaylord's-lacklustre service but my favorite meal-fresh papaya stuffed with shrimp salad!

Hiva Pasefika Luau-good food especially the cucumber namasu, teriyaki beef and kalua pork. Even the poi was not as bad as I expected.

Duane's Ono Charburger-slow service but really good burgers although they're a little on the small side.

Hanalei Mixed Plate-Kalua pork and cabbage-very good. This place is currently for sale.

Banana Joe's-the best smoothie....EVER!

King and I Thai-really good Thai, excellent fried rice.

Shrimp Station-garlic shrimp-very yummy, messy, but yummy!

Hukilau Lanai-excellent cheddar jalapeno soup and the bread with each meal is scrumptious! Good salads too.

The Bull Shed-least favorite meal-best view, the salad bar is so-so but my filet was still very rare even after sending it back. The teriyaki chicken was ok.

Ono Family Diner-huge portions-good sweet Chinese sausage and awesome pineapple jelly. The omelets are huge too!

Taro Ko Chips Factory-a little shack in Hanapepe with the best homemade potato chips!

Jo-Jo's Shave Ice-I think I had the "rainbow". Anyway it was 3 fruit flavors over macadamia nut ice cream.....man I could go for one of those right now!

Lemongrass-very good ribs, the shrimp was good too but you must try the passion fruit mousse!

Lappert's-Kauai Pie Coffee Drink-pricey but good.

Oki Family Diner-pineapple pancakes-delish! What makes them so good are the 3 homemade syrups-vanilla, strawberry and coconut! Not the fanciest place but man those pancakes were good.

Bubba's-not impressed with the burgers but the onion rings were good!

I think that about does it for food!
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 08:53 AM

Lihue
Hamura's Saimin, Lihue BBQ Inn, Kaua'i Bakery (malasadas)

Hanalei
Cafe Polynesia, Tropical Taco, Postcards, Hanalei Dolphin (the fish market there is great).

Kapa'a
Pono Market, Olympic Cafe

I wouldn't touch the Oki Diner again with a ten foot pole. Breakfast may be good, but dinner was gross.

-Bill
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 11:02 AM
lvk

Hey Bill, you stole most of my responses .

Aside from Roy's & Olympic Cafe, all of my favorites are on the North Shore.

I second the Hanalei Dolphin and their fish market (best ceviche I have ever tried), Olympic Cafe for breakfast, and Polynesia Cafe.

Sushi & Blues is good for sushi/sashimi. Kintaro's is also recommended, but they were closed the night we tried to go.

We also enjoyed the fish flautas and tacos from the truck at Anini Beach.

Happy Talk Lounge in the Hanalei Bay Resort is a great place for Happy Hour. They have live music and the views are great. I was not so impressed with the Bali Hai Restaurant in the HBR.

Enjoy!
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 11:32 AM
TahitiTams

Wow..Thank you all for your wonderful responses and I will be printing this out..
We do get the free breakfast buffet included in our rate and I hear it is quite excellent..usually, I don't do buffets but I have heard and seen the menu and it looks wonderful but I heard about those Banana & Mac Pancakes at the Tip Cafe..Yummy..
I am getting re-married at Shipwreck Beach a little before sunset..
Do you think that the Tidepool's Restauraunt at the Hyatt would be a good place to take our friends for a nice meal of Seafood and Steaks or would you recommend another place like Duke's or Roy's?
Know Roy's well on other Islands and stateside and we like Duke's in Malibu..pretty much the same?

Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 08:08 PM

Since you are getting re-married on Shipwreck's Beach, I think it would be much easier, and more romantic to have dinner at Tidepools. Arrange to have the table next to the waterfall and Koi pond. We did for our Anniversary.

I love the food at Roy's (we just went last week to the one in the desert) but the one on Kauai is very loud, and I wouldn't want it to be my Honeymoon dinner. Dukes is similar to the one in Malibu, fun place.

As for the breakfast buffet. Half of our family doesn't eat breakfast, but loved the choices in the buffet. We would go about 9 am which was more like noon to our time, so we all found we enjoyed it, and made it last until dinner. Of course, stopping for a Smoothie or Shave Ice in the afternoon is good too.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 04:51 PM

I just realized I wrote the "Tip Cafe" instead of Tip Top Cafe. Sorry for the typo!

It's not a fancy place by any means but it's clean and I keep craving those pancakes!

Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 04:57 PM
TahitiTams

Thanks again for all the great restaurant info!!
Made reservations for Tidepools by the waterfall..thank you MBnancy .. and travel monkey that for the heads up on the Tip Top Cafe..
As long as it's good I don't care if it is a hole in the wall..
Hope the Costco is open by then for the cocktail stockade!!!

Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 05:08 PM

The Hyatt comes with the built in mini bar frig in the room, but as soon as we checked in we called Housekeeping for a mini frig to be sent up. The rooms are huge, so plenty of space for it. That way we could keep personal drinks, food, and lei's, in it away from the hotel items.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 05:33 PM
TahitiTams

MBnancy... you should come to the wedding! You are giving this cocktail loving, Flower lei girl alot of great ideas!!
I have friends who are flying in from Maui and San Diego and we all love our cocktails and we are staying at the Hotel that everyone is going to be hanging out so I want to have everyone's drink for them...
I can't wait.. I have heard such wonderful things about the Grand Hyatt in Kauai.. the lagoons look lovely for swimming and kayaking.. Is the beach out front a usable beach?
Thanks again to you and everyone else's suggestions!!!

Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 10:38 PM

I'd love to come to the wedding!!! Last summer there was one on the Hyatt lawn, near our balcony, and we discretely watched it from our balcony. Everyone loves a wedding.

The hotel is probably now aware of your wedding, but when we celebrated a special Anniversary there, my husband called the week before to mention that occasion to the hotel manager. At check in we had Champagne on ice, later a plate of Cho. dipped Strawberries, and were upgraded to an Ocean Deluxe Front room.

As for the beach. We sometimes hang out on the sand, get our toes wet, but do not go floating in the ocean. However, my adult son boogie boards in it, but he grew up surfing in CA and is used to waves. The saltwater lagoon is right next to the beach, and that is a wonderful place to float around and rent kayaks.

Every night at 5 PM there is a free show on the Sunset Terrace. Sit in one of the big comfy chairs and listen to the live music, or torch lighting ceremony with a drink. Another cozy bar is Stevenson's Library at the hotel, after dinner.

Aloha!