Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Kauai and Molokai or Kauai and Maui for 10 days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning our anniversary trip end of Nov- first week of December for 10 days. Our top choices were Kauai and BI but we have realized it is too ambitious for 10 days and Hawaii need to be taken slowly and relaxing. So we have decided to leave BI for the next time and now considering staying in Kauai for 6 days and spending remaining 3 days in Molokai or Maui. We have never been in Molokai before. We were in Maui 5 year ago staying on Kanapali beach. We have visited Haleakala park but did not do Road to Hana at that time. So we are thinking either go to Maui , do road to Hana and stay around Kapalu beach before flying back home to NY or to visit Molokai for a few days. Which one should we choose?

Where to stay in Kauai around Poipi beach?

Any suggestion/opinion much appreciated!
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 04:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That time of year, stay in the Poipu area on Kauai. Then going to Molokai sounds great.
Old Sep 6th, 2014, 11:19 AM

Agree with staying in Poipu that time of year. Are you looking for a hotel or a condo? Only two hotels in Poipu are the Sheraton and the Grand Hyatt (would be a nice splurge to celebrate). Just try and avoid Thanksgiving (Nov.27) as it will be really busy then. Lots of condos if you are open to them.
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 06:18 PM

If you want to finish your trip with a quiet few days, Molokai is the place for you!
We did a day trip there, a few years ago, rented a car, and were amazed to see so many beautiful beaches, with no one on them.
Not at all like much of the rest of the major islands, but that's the beauty of Hawaii.... there's so much variety. And lots of Aloha spirit, to go around.
Old Sep 8th, 2014, 04:05 AM

Save yourself time, money and airport hassle and do a Maui-Molokai combo. From Maui you can take a ferry to Molokai, and your very pleasant boatride doubles as a whale watch in December
Old Sep 8th, 2014, 06:53 AM

In early December I would just stay on Big Island and do both sides.

Spring and summer are the best seasons for Kauai, when you can enjoy the spectacular north while the ocean is calm and the weather is dry. Kauai, Molokai and Hana are too similar for me. I'd want more contrast to make it worth spending time island hopping. Also, ten nights is my *minimum* for staying on two islands.

I would fly into ITO and stay two nights in the town of Volcano, then take the northern route to the Kohala Coast for sunny beaches and fly out of KOA.

Early December won't have a lot of whales, but you'd see them from the Kohala Coast.

I like Frank's "Cheap Whale Watch", but the ferry ride can be rough in winter.
Old Sep 9th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Kal

We did the Kauai and Molokai run for 2-3 trips over either in Nov or Dec/Jan...came back like jellyfish we were so relaxed.

Molokai's N/E shore rivals if not surpasses the beauty of The Napali on Kauai.
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 01:48 PM

Spent 11 nights in Kauai in Dec 2011. Wanted more! Rented a beautiful home just a few minutes walk from the beach near Popiu. It was called The Sea Breeze Villa at Hideaway Cove. Hosts were amazing. Spent 2 nights on the north shore it was beautiful. Just rented a small home from craigslist I think.
Old Sep 21st, 2014, 12:56 PM

I would not waste my time going to Molokai. And Lanai is not interesting for more than a day either, compared to Maui, Kauai, Oahu, and the Big Island. Maui and Kauai are both very laid back with enough interesting restaurants and touristy things to keep you busy. Oahu is my favorite, with Maui and Kauai as my second best. The Big Island is too smokey to me. The "vog" (volcano fog) bothers me, even though I'm not asthmatic.
Old Sep 22nd, 2014, 02:00 AM

Molokai is where you can still find "old Hawaii" - and we stayed there for two nights to start our Honeymoon before spending a week on both Big Island and Kauai.

Actually - the last of November can be beautiful on the North Shore of Kauai - and if you have a rainstorm blow through - it leaves many beautiful waterfalls cascading down the Bali Hai view/hills.

Yet - if you want to "insure" sunshine for most of your stay - Poipu is the place but be sure to visit the North Shore a couple of times.

Waimea Canyon also.
Old Sep 22nd, 2014, 05:44 AM

Excellent Point Tomsd
I know some people that spend a fortune to vacation at a private Belize Cay and/or remote S Pacific island just to get away from people. With Molokai, you get all that and more, you get Old Hawaii. The best part is, if you dont like the solitude (and you took the ferry) you can inexepensively with minimal effort be back to all the action of Maui the next morning.
Old Sep 23rd, 2014, 06:02 AM

Frank - I have taken the Ferry to Lanai - which is also "old Hawaii".
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Many Thanks everyone!!!! We decided to go to Kauai for 6 nights and 4 nights in Maui. We have been in Maui before and this time we will do Road to Hana and stay in Wailea. We decided to leave BI for the next trip.
We booked ocean front room in Sheraton in Kauai. Did not book Haytt because the beach there is not for swimming and you need to drive to Poipu beach. Hyatt has great grounds and pools but we prefer to swim in the ocean. I was looking for some condos in walking distance to the beach as well but did not find anything good. Memellow, We did check Sea Breeze Villa at Hideaway Cove and it was sold out for our days.
In Maui we will be staying in Wailea but we are planning to take the Road to Hana and stay one night in Hana, do not want to rush it in one day. Have trouble finding a lodging in Hana for one night. Any advice?
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 06:59 PM

Irving, did you look at the condos at Kiahuna Plantation? It shares a beach with the Sheraton, and the grounds are gorgeous.