Reload this Page >

5 days Kauai & 5 days Maui or 10 days Kauai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 03:26 PM
chris

I will be going on my honeymoon in the spring of 2004 and I need some advice. Should we stay 10 days in Kauai or 5 days in Maui and 5 days in Kauai. Also, if we do both Kauai and Maui which one should we go to first?

Thanks a lot!

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 03:37 PM
cls

I vote for 5 days in Maui and 5 days in Kauai. Go to Maui first and end with Kauai because it is quieter and more relaxing. Try to get a non-stop flight over to Kauai avoiding hnl. A non stop flight will only be about 45 min. vs aprox. 2hrs. going through hnl. This leads to the next big question, where should you stay???

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 04:15 PM
cj

My husband and I went to Maui after being married 7 years and ended up having an unplanned 2nd honeymoon. It was SO WONDERFUL. We stayed in Lahina at a very plain hotel but it was close enough to walk everywhere. Very layed back, no pressures, just fun and romantic.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 04:21 PM
Malinda

My husband and I honeymooned in Kauai for 8 days in June 2000. We loved everyday there and in fact are going back with family in 2 days for Thanks- giving. We met many other honeymooners who did both Maui and Kauai and enjoyed that because of the differences in pace of each island. We wanted "old" Hawaii with less people and more relaxation so we decided to stay put on one island (and we didn't have as much time). We are nature lovers and greatly enjoy hiking and kayaking which Kauai offers many opportunities for. My sister honeymooned on Maui and loved it, especially all of the excellent restaurant choices. Kauai has some good ones but not as many. We stayed in a condo and cooked to save money. I highly recommend the Kauai Coast resort in Kapaa. It is convienetly located on the east side of the island and water front, but not as expensive as Poipu or Princeville area and not a HUGE resort complex. They just finished remodeling so rooms are nicely updated. Good luck with either island you can't go wrong.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 04:25 PM
Nova

You will get a different opinion from everyone that replies. I vote to spend the whole time on Maui !! Kauai is too quiet for my liking and I am not into hiking. There is absolutely NOTHING to do on Kauai at night !

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 04:37 PM
wazzup

nova-are you still married? chris said they will be in Hawaii on their HONEYMOON! I think they will have something to do at night.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 07:51 AM
JMM

Depends on what you like to do:
Maui - lots of good restaurants:more to do at night (other than the obvious); busy - lots of traffic compared to Kaui
Kaui - superb scenery and beaches; some great hiking; more relaxed atmosphere. If you are unsure - do both - Maui first, Kaui second is the order I would recoomend.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 08:21 AM
Sarah

I vote for 10 days one island. Less is more in any kind of travel. In Spring Kauai has a rep for being wet. There is a dry side of the island but it is not as spectacular as areas that get regular rain, North Shore, Kokee State Park, Waimea canyon. Having said all this they are expecting a dry winter so you might fair well in Kauai.

Myself I would go to Maui that time of year with only 10 days. Unless you know that you like to only sample and move along quickly. That works for a lot of people but not me. People talk about crowds in Maui but I never noticed any outside of winter months. What month? Wonder if whales will still be around your trip time.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 08:37 AM
wondering

i think it depends on what type of accommodations you're planning. without knowing that i'd opt for splitting the time, or spending it all on maui.

but i'm wondering why you're asking the question when it's a year and a half out.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 10:55 AM
Chuck

I too vote for 10 days on one island. For my honeymoon we chose Maui for reasons stated above, a little more to do IMO both during the day and at night. If staying in your room (after all it is your honeymmon) is what you expect to do every night then Kauai is fine.

If you are really set on the 2 islands, don't forget you really lose the first day you arrive (as you typically arrive late in the day), half a day to get to the other island, and half a day the day you leave as you generally have to get back to HNL. If this is still acceptable to you and you are doing it right after your honeymoon, I would choose Kauai first as you can unwind from all the excitement, pressure of the wedding...then move on to the more active Maui. Of course just one man's opinion.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 03:51 PM
communitina

We just returned from staying at the Hyatt Regency Kauai, and saw a lot of honeymooners there. Unfortunately, there were also a LOT of screaming children running around, and there was no peace and quite to be found. The resort is gorgeous and has great service, but if you want romantic seclusion and quiet romantic moments, go elsewhere.

It seems that Hawaii has turned into a Disney World type family vacation destination and we were surrounded by screaming kids on the flights, in fine dining restaurants, and by the pools and beach.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 12:29 PM
michael ward

Do at least two islands!

Each island has its own unique personality! It is NOT repitition to visit more than one.

Why not add the big island. Peering into the mouth of the volcano is what it's all about and there are no active volcanos on any other island.

Helicopter rides: expensive but well worth it. Do it on Kauii and use BLUE HAWAIIAN. They use helicopters built specifically for tourism, and tape every minute of your flight!

On Kauii, do the Napali Coast trip. Do it by RAFT so that you get right up along the cliffs (and into a cave or two!). Sign up for the longer version where you get to land on shore and walk inland. Not all the tours do.

My FAVORITE TWO EXPERIENCES were the Kauii helicopter tour, and the Napali Coast tour.