Notices

Kauai

Old May 26th, 2003, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai

My honey and I will be in Kauai at the end of June. Has anyone rented a moped? Where can you moped to. Also, has anyone rented a bike and where is a good place to bike to?
Old May 27th, 2003, 07:33 AM

I have never seen mopeds in Kauai in the 14 years that we have been traveling there. Anyone else?
Old May 27th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Kal

Klq, Get out much, sistah?

ettamae, We've seen the quite few "mopedders" the past 3-4 trips over.
Seen them mostly in the Kapaa area all the way up to P'ville.

They seem to be able to make it up the long, steep grades right near Kealia Beach and then near King Kong/Anahola/Ono Burger and right before Anini Bluffs.

Kauai has been pretty aggresive the past few years in setting up bike lanes so, poco a poco, the shoulders are getting better.
I'd still think twice about riding a bike from/to P'ville/Hanalei due to the narrow road, very steep climb, visual
impairment (lights/shadows in and out of the vegetation-all mixed in w/ beautiful scenery).

In 214 mo' days, we may ship our bikes over vs. golf clubs and see if we can do the whole island...bit by bit tho.

I'd love to let it loose coming down the hill from Kalaheo or the Waimea Canyon.
Mahalo,
Kal
Old May 27th, 2003, 10:42 AM

There aren't too many huge flat stretches on Kauai that would be good for bicycling. Plus, most of the roads are narrow and have no shoulder. Maybe in the Kaapa area like someone else mentioned. I've only been there once, but saw no mopeds.
Old May 27th, 2003, 11:27 AM

Mopeds can be rented across from the Foodland/McDonalds shopping center in Waipouli (just south of Kapaa).

I would not ride a moped all over Kauai as the shoulder is just not wide enough. Ditto for bikes.

If you want to have fun on a bike, look into Outfitters' Kauai downhill bike ride from Waimea Canyon.