COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Just back from Maui

Old May 15th, 2002, 06:53 PM
Gail

Just back from Maui

I'm just back from a week on Maui. Stayed in Kihei at the Maui Sunset - a REALLY nice condo complex. We had a 2 bedroom condo with an ocean view for $115 per night! It has a big pool, hot tub, tennis courts, shuffleboard, and an activity desk (which I didn't find helpful). The "not so great ocean view" rooms are cheaper. The highlight of the trip was a snorkel trip to Molokini with Maui Dive Shop. The advantages of using them were: knowledgeable boat captain & guide, great snacks, fast boats, best price, and they leave from the Kihei dock so you get to Molokini before everyone else! Most of the other companies offer a BBQ or buffet lunch with the trip. I want to spend my time snorkeling, not lunching! The snacks on board our boat were sufficient.

Lahaina is the best place to shop, and the best place we found to buy jewelry was Precious Gems & Gold in Lahaina. We priced a bracelet I wanted at every jewelry store in Lahaina and their price was 30% less for exactly the same bracelet! They're willing to bargain.

If I can answer any specific questions, I'd be glad to. If you remove the "x" in my email address you can email me directly, but I only check my yahoo mail twice a week.

Old May 15th, 2002, 07:28 PM
Jess

We are going to Maui in June. Can you suggest good eating places in the Lahaina/Kaanapali area? "Good" meaning good food-inexpensive to moderate price.

Old May 16th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Gail

Jess;
We had good breakfasts & lunches at Stella's Blues Cafe in Kihei, and a WONDERFUL (and only slightly more expensive than other places) lunch at the Tommy Bahama Cafe in the Wailea shopping center.

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:42 AM
AJ

Are restaurant prices the normally high tourist prices? How much was an expensive lunch?

Old May 18th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Gail

AJ;
Yes, prices are high, but it's a tourist destination! An expensive lunch without alcoholic drinks was $20 plus tip.

Old May 19th, 2002, 09:42 AM
p

Just got back
We ate at many places, some quite high priced, but the best meal we had, tho' certainly not the most expensive, was at Bubba Gumps in Lahaina - no kidding. Try the Bourbon Shrimp.

Old May 19th, 2002, 09:54 AM
sally

Jess:
Lahaina Coolers in Lahaina is a good breakfast spot that is pretty reasonable. The lunch and dinner there menu has some "different" kinds of choices but are good. The Gazebo restaurant in Napili (just north of Kaanapali) is a GREAT breakfast place and very reasonable. Lines can be long, but it is an open air, casual restaurant overlooking Naplil Bay. Try the whip cream on their pancakes (very good, but rich !) Because dinners are so expensive, when we wanted to have a "nicer" dinner out, we went for a late lunch and the menu is much less expensive.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 12:36 PM
Kim

Hi Gail,

Glad to know that the Maui Sunset complex was nice. We will be staying there in August. I'm curious to know how far it is from a nice beach. Is it within walking distance? I've heard that the beach next to Maui Sunset is fairly rocky. Also, how long of a drive was it to Lahaina? Did you rent a car while you stayed in Maui. Any great places we must visit while we're there. Thanks so much!

Kim

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:44 PM
Gail

Kim;
There is a beach in front of the Sunset, but a lot of seaweed washes up there. Just walk a little way in either direction and it's nice beach walking. The drive to Lahaina is only about 20 miles, but it's bad traffic! Takes twice as long as it should, and stay off that road during "rush hour" time! We had 4 people and lots of luggage and beach gear so we rented a van - kind of a hassle to park, though.