Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Just Back from Long Weekend in Finger Lakes, NY

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Michelle

Just a quick note to say "thanks" to all those who helped us with our brief planning.

We just returned from a long weekend (this past) in the Finger Lakes region of NY. We drove from NYC straight to Skeneatles (forgive me if I've not spelled is correctly) and stayed at the Sherwood Inn which is located right on Skeneatles Lake. It was a quaint and cozy inn which was nice given the fact that it started to snow pretty heavily. The rooms where ok but, in my opinion, not worth $150 per night. Dinner is the restaurant was just ok -- the food was not that great. We had lunch at Doug's Fish Fry which was fun (and pretty funny). The fried shrimp was fantastic!! I highly rec'mend that you grab a quick meal here if you are in Skeneatles. It's kind of like a little beach shack with surprisingly good food.

On Sunday we left in the morning for a drive around Seneca Lake and the "wine country". Honestly, I was pretty disappointed with the wines. Most are pretty horrible with the exception, in my opinion, of the Prejean Winery. We tasted quite a few good wines there and actually purchased a bottle.

We were going to stay at an inn or b&b around this area, but really didn't find any that we liked. Most of them seemed pretty run down with the exception of the inn in Geneva. We would have stayed there had there been a room available. Since it was an impromptu weekend, we didn't make any reservations.

We decided to stay the night in Ithaca instead and enjoyed the town. Cute, college town. Lots of kids and bars.

Overall, the area was quite nice but I think it will be some time before we return. Accomodations are very limited (unless you want to stay in a roadside motel) as are good restaurants. Maybe there are more options in Summer but... not enough to make we want to rush back.

Sorry for rambling. Please post if you have any questions.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 12:44 PM
xxx

Really?

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Owen O'Neill

Good to read your review... I'm a native if nearby Syracuse and familiar with all that you describe (quite accurately). I agree that prices are a bit steep for the rooms at the Sherwood and also concur with your judgement about the food. I once worked for the Sherwood Inn owner at one of his other restaurants - the emphasis is on style not substance or consistency. Rosalie's Cucina is just up the road and has a much better reputation. The Inn Between restaurant outside nearby Camillus offers far better food (it's quite traditional - continental cuisine but consistently excellent and they have a truly fantastic lobster bisque). Syracuse also has several very good restaurants including a relatively new French restaurant, L'Adour, that competes favorably with many NYC mid range French offerings (and some that are pricier). Can't comment on the wines as I'm not a drinker but I'd suggest doing some advance research before hitting the Finger Lakes wine trail - there are many so-so places and the really good ones typically each have just a few specific varieties for which they are best known. Ithaca does have some very good restaurants, particularly the Moosewood for vegetarian, Thai Cuisine (better than any Thai I've ever had in NYC) and Renee's Bistro for continental. There are also a couple very kewl small art cinemas (Fall Creek Pictures and Cinemapolis) that have tasty homemade snacks and cool pocorn toppings (e.g. real butter, parmesan cheese and even though it sounds crazy... powdered brewer's yeast - really tasty!). Ithaca in specific and the Finger Lakes in general are much better appreciated in spring, fall or summer. The weather can be a bit grim and depressing on a winter trip. The in you mention in Geneva is the Inn on the Lake. Has a great reputation but must be booked well in advance (by the way... restaurant offerings in Canadaigua and Geneva are also slim pickin's). Hope you have a chance to go back in better circumstances and with just a tad more time to plan - it really can be a lovely area but takes a bit of selectivity to get the "best of" in a short trip.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Patty

I would just like to add one more Ithaca restaurant recommendation - we had a great dinner at Pangea last October.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Michelle

Thanks, Owen, for your response. Wanted to mention that we had dinner at the Thai restaurant in Ithaca and the food was, indeed, extremely good! And, yes, in fact better than many Thai's here in NYC.

Even though the weather was dreary, I must say that the scenery was very nice and peaceful, which is what we were looking for.

Should we make another trip in Spring or Summer, I will certainly do more planning. As a side note, we did do quite a bit of reading on the wine trail and tried to be selective regarding the wineries we chose. Still, we were not impressed.

Also, to make time, since we left Ithaca fairly early yesterday and the weather was so pleasant, we decided to take Route 17 back to NY. Eeeek... what a mistake. Nice scenery (hills and lakes) but the towns.... hmmm... let's just say we didn't stop to eat 'til we got back into Manhattan.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 04:57 AM
Diane

Michelle,
Next time do a little research before you head to the Finger Lakes - and don't go in February, you couldn't have picked a drearier time. Go in the summer or fall and this time do a little planning re. accommodations and activities. Try Geneva On The lake or you can stay at the Inn at Glenora Wine Cellars 9they have 30 rooms, maybe you'll like one of them). The Sherwood is nice, but . . . . next time you are in Skaneateles, stay at the and they. There are over 30 wineries in the FL Region, sorry to hear that you found them "horrible". If you had done your homework you would have also gone to the Cayuga wineries and taken a jaunt to Hammondsport. You would have also visited Widmer's Wine Cellars home to three famous brands: Widmer, Great Western & Taylor making it the largest winery in the eastern U.S. Surely something there would have pleased your refined palette. I have to admit your post sounded a little snobby, and although you apologized for your spelling, before you criticize something you should make an effort to do so accurately. And not necessary to slam those who live in the towns on Rt. 17 - there are parts of Manhattan that I wouldn't stop at either, but I can refrain from posting child-like "eeks". Maybe you're right, you shouldn't "rush back"??

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 05:05 AM
tom

why so sensitive Diane?

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 05:08 AM
Carol

Michelle:

Pay no mind to the above poster (which sounded a bit defensive) ... I did not find your comments snobby ... rather they were pretty much to the point. I am a native of Upstate New York, still reside in the area, and frequent the Finger Lakes area. (I also travel at least yearly into NYC.) New York State wines are a mix ... as Owen mentioned, some varieties are very good and others leave much to be desired. I do agree with a previous poster that you visited during the most dreary part of the year ... I would recommend another visit planned for Sept/Oct ... I think you will get a whole different feeling (more positive) for the area. Thanks for your post.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Owen O'Neill

I believe I forgot to mention that Blue Water in Skaneatles is supposed to be fairly good and there's a small bakery, Chambord, that is reputed to have delicious light lunches. I regret to inform all that one of my favorite Ithaca restaurants, Giovanni's Osteria Paesano (northern Italian cuisine) is now closed. I make the Syracuse to NYC drive on a regular basis - usually take the Rt 81 to Rt 380 to Rt 80 route but have also tried Rt 17. I'm in agreement with your comment re/the dining options along the way. It's no reflection on the fine folks who live in any of these places and natural beauty/scenery abounds but I've yet to find any really good dining options on these routes. It would seem that diners and the like are mostly what's available. I have read several threads on www.chowhound.com from folks searching for good/different/unusual dining options in these areas and thus far no osuggestions have emerged - if anyone can offer some it will certainly be appreciated! Ditto the suggestion on visiting in Sept - early Oct. When I lived in Ithaca it was always my favorite time of year.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Diane

Oops - looks like I cut part of my post. My suggestion for your next visit to Skaneateles is to stay at the Mirbeau Inn. Because hotels/inns are not abundant in this area, you really do need to do a little planning and make reservations. And, really - don't be annoyed that you didn't do any research and were disappointed you didn't find fine dining on Rt. 17; that would be like me getting mad that I couldn't find a great dress boutique in Times Square. Not all things are available in all areas; like Owen said on this route - enjoy the scenery!

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 05:26 PM
Laurie

Geneva restaurant: Uncle Joe's

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with planning a stay at Mirbeau! I was there last september for 3 nights during my honeymoon. It was amazing! I felt like I was staying in this great big Villa. The restaurant was OK. I really recommend the italian restaurant thats a quick walk from the spa. Im sorry I am blanking on the name. Better luck on your next trip!
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! How bizarre to see my post here one year later! Well, just as an update, we returned to the area a couple of weeks ago and just loved it. We found some nice restarants and stayed at the Inn in Geneva. We also drove to Chautauqua to visit some friends who just purchased a vacation home there. Overall a great and relaxing trip. And thank you all, again, for your terrific suggestions.