Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC Restaurant on UWS: Bistro Citron or Nice Matin or ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a reasonably priced neighborhood french bistro on the UWS for our upcoming visit. We're staying at the Excelsior on 81st. Do you recommend one of these are is there another one you prefer?
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 02:06 PM

I'll put in a vote for Bistro Citron. Nice bistro atmosphere, warm croissants are served during brunch/lunch, and the food is good.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Joepa - sounds like what I'm looking for. Plus its closer to my hotel
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 11:03 AM

I've found Bistro Citron to be mediocre and overpriced for what it is. I actually tried it numerous times, wanting to give it a chance b/c it's very conveniently located and *seems* like it should be better, but it kept disappointing (ditto its sister restaurant Bistro Casis on Columbus and 70th) until I finally gave up. On the Upper West Side, I much prefer Nice Matin (a few short blocks from your hotel), and - even more so- Cafe Luxembourg (on 70th). They really aren't much more expensive than Citron, but much, much tastier.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Just back from NYC and we ended up eating at Bistro Citron twice! The second time because we couldn't get a table at a restaurant we wanted in the Village so I called and they fit us in at Bistro Citron. We absolutely loved it. The first night we had to wait for a table a bit so the owner asked the bartender to give us a round of whatever we wanted, on the house. Great service, very friendly - treated us like special guests the second night. The owner greeted us warmly, got us our wine. I asked him to taste it with us as it seemed a little off to me. He agreed it was slightly corked and immediately brought us a second bottle, decanted it. Our waitress from the night before came over to chat with us.

The food: delicious french bistro food. With 3 of us, 2 meals each we tried the rabbit, the duck, the steak frites, the lamb shank, and the braised short ribs on fettucine. It was all delicious. The rabbit was perhaps the best of all. Great prices. Large quantities. It reminded me very much of Cafe des Musees in Paris. Only friendlier
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 01:35 PM

I'm glad you liked it. Makes me think i need to give it another try1