Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed/dined at the Ahwahnee Hotel lately?

Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking at spending a couple of nights at Yosemite and, wanting to make the most of our time, it seems that staying in the Valley is the best option, but the choice of accommodation seems to be fairly limited. The Ahwahnee Hotel sounds like a nice luxury break, but the recent TripAdvisor reports on it are not particularly encouraging. Has anyone here had recent experience of the place? If so, what did you think of it?
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 03:33 AM

Our visits are ancient history, but did want to emphasize to book early. In the 80's when we stayed there several times the Ahwanee was wonderful, I hope it hasn't gone downhill.
There's the main hotel and then the more modern rooms, have stayed in both and while the main hotel is lovely when we were there it had no A/C and the newer rooms did. It can be hot in the valley.

When you get more info, would you post again so we'll know how things are now? It is one of the most beautiful places on earth and we plan to go back in the next few years.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 08:59 AM

You've got to take TA with a grain of salt. Some of those people think it's the price of the hotel that determines the ammenities but for Yosemite it's the location.

I see someone complained about how th eother guests looked. Good gawd why would you rate a hotel on that basis. It's in a national park I'm sorry but who wants to dress up when you are hiking all the time?

The other whiners are from LA & SF. LOL what were they expecting?
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 09:05 AM

Anyone have any ideas why the Ahwanhee would be completely booked for June but available the entire month of July? We are just starting to plan a trip in June and would like to stay at the Ahwanhee. I'm just going to keep checking back.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I thought that particular review was a bit off the mark too, Suzie, but I was being diplomatic in not referring to it! It is rather amusing though.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 01:53 PM
cd

I could just not justify the price so we stayed at the Yosemite Lodge but we dined once at the Ahwanhee. I would recommend lunch or an early dinner in order to see the wonderful views surrounding the restaurant dining room. The food and the views are great.