Reload this Page >

NYC restaurant Aureole

Search

NYC restaurant Aureole

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 02:04 PM
jo

NYC restaurant Aureole

Any reviews and recommendations for or against this restaurant for a special occasion. What kind of dress code? Thanks.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 02:20 PM
ryan

Great choice. Charlie Palmer is a terrific chef. They also have a great wine list.

Dress like one would for any other nice restaurant. A man would probably be a bit out of place without at least a jacket.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 08:14 AM
md

Where did they come up with a name like this? Sounds like someone said "What shall I call this restaurant?"; someone else suggested the name. And they said" hey, that sounds nice..."

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Andre

md:

FYI "auréole" is a french word (pronounced OH-ray-all).

English translation is halo.

Andre

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 08:48 AM
RnR

The food is nice, but he's branching out - difficult to know if the same quality is extant as 6-7 years ago. On TV a lot, so may not be in the kitchen many nights. But it's a good location. There are some probably better restaurants in the city, but if it must be Aureole, it will be fine, I'm sure.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Glenn

Excellent restaurant. It is in a restored townhouse on the Upper East Side. Try to sit upstairs, I feel it has more character.

Have both a prix fixe menu and tasting menu. Just ate there last month and the prices appox. $65 and $80 respectively. Great desserts!!

Don't go there for a quick dinner, it's not that type of place.

Most men wear jackets (few with ties). Well worth a visit.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 03:41 PM
foodie

Have news for you RnR, most of the better known chefs are not in their klitchens most nights. Alain Ducasse, for example, owns locations in NY, Paris and Monaco. They are Executives, not cooks of the line.

The reality is that a well know Chef, sets the menu and direction of the kitchen. Typically, they have a few proteges that run the day to day kitchen operations. On a launch, they may focus their attention there for a several weeks.After that, they will be there, 1 or 2 nights at the most per week.

Even if he was in the kitchen, his role would be finishing the plate, ensuring the table "comes" together at the right time, and ensuring the aesthetics of the food. The real cooking in NY is done by Ecudaroens, Guatemalens, and Mexicans.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 06:02 PM
nyer

foodie, last time we ate in Bouley,he was there.I was in Emerils not long ago in NO, he was there,at Le Violin d'Ingre in Paris, Christian Constant was there,he came to our table and visited.I think you are generalizing a little too much.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 06:35 AM
foodies

I'm not generalizing. If you are a well known chef with 3 or 4 restaurants, you can't physcially be at all of them. You go lucky then if those people where there that night. David Bouley, runs one restaurant. Emeril has at least 6. 3 in NOLA, 1 in Orlando and 2 in Vegas.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 06:38 AM
foodie

Reread my original post. It did sound like I was generalizing. What I was trying to imply was that if you run multiple locations, you can't be at each. Yes, a chef that has one location will likely be in the kitchen.