JFK to Manhattan

May 22nd, 2008, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

JFK to Manhattan

Last time I flew to JFK, I took the longest subway ride to get to the upper west side. Is there a faster way to get there that is cheaper than a cab? Anyone know if there is a bus that I can take?
May 22nd, 2008, 11:51 AM

Well, you can take the Airtrain (5 dollars) to Jamaica Station then take the LIRR (5 dollars) to Penn Station or take the subway to other locations in Manhattan.

A cab will be about $55 plus tip.

Thin
May 22nd, 2008, 12:00 PM

I believe that you can take a helicopter. Might be a bit more expensive than the subway ride.

You might take one of the airport shuttle buses to Grand Central.
May 22nd, 2008, 12:17 PM

Did you take the E last time? If you jump on the D train at 53rd/7th ave (once you're in the city). I would think you'd be on the upper west side in just under an hour.

Forgive me if that was the long subway ride you were referring too---I just had a friend complain about something similar who had taken the A train all the way through Brooklyn from JFK and I was wondering if maybe that happened.
May 22nd, 2008, 03:53 PM

Perhaps you made the mistake of taking the A train which is like the slow boat to China to get to the UWS. Have a look at the map

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm
May 22nd, 2008, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Last time, I took the airtrain to the A subway all the way to Columbus Circle and then switched to the 1. Since the helicopter is out of my price range, i am thinking some of the other suggestions may work better for me.

Katie_H, are you suggesting I can take the airtrain to the E subway? Then, I can get on the D from there? I hope that would work - it does look so much shorter!

Thanks.
May 22nd, 2008, 04:02 PM

You can get a shuttle bus to Penn Station for $15. From there you can get a cab to the upper west side - probably another $15 - depending on traffic. So - about $30 for one person. For two people - this would be the same as a cab ($45 flat fare plus toll and tip totaling about $60.)

Fastest public transit is Air Train ($5) to Jamaica, then LIRR ($7) to Penn Station, then subway ($2) to upper west side for a total of $14 - and about an hour in time - depending on how fast you make the various changes schlepping your luggage with you up and down stairs, though stations and along passageways.
May 23rd, 2008, 07:47 AM

Can you, please advice how far from the "A" train to the airtrane, and from the "E" train to the airtrain. Is it a lot of walking, as we have a luggade ? From Port Authority bus terminal, what is the best way to get to the JFK by train ?
May 23rd, 2008, 08:08 AM

From Port Authority Bus Terminal, the best choice is to take an airport express bus--costs $15 per person, but will be door to door with no shlepping of bags up and down stairs.

Both A and E trains stop at Port Authority Bus Terminal. And at the airport end both have equivalent connections to the AirTrain--both have elevators and escalators and similar walking distances. I think the trip from Port Authority on the E train would be about 10 minutes quicker than the A train. (E train plus AirTrain costs $7 per person)