Jersey Shore..

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Pam

Jersey Shore..

We're from California(transplanted Easterners) and are thinking of renting a house at the Jersey shore. It's been decades since either of were there and I have fond memories of Normandy Beach. Any suggestions on where to rent and who to go through. Also..the other option is Maine..we have been three times and love it.
Any suggestions on where to go along the entire coast of Maine?

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Ryan

Assuming that you are looking for a weekly rental in NJ, the answer really depends on your budget.

If you don't mind spending a decent amount of money for a nice large Victorian or beachfront mansion, try Spring Lake, Bay Head, Mantoloking or parts of Sea Girt. Spring Lake is a great little town that has nice main street.

For all-around beach feel, you might want to look into Long Beach Island. Most houses are within a five minute walk to the ocean. LBI, to me, has "beachier" feel than Spring Lake. You can also rent on either end of the budget spectrum.

I'd say to avoid Normandy. Much of it has become a haven for tightly packed, small bungaloos. With most, you have to cross route 35, which can be congested on the weekends.

Almost any realtor on the shore will have a listing of summer rentals. Just be aware that most run from Saturday afternoon to the following Saturday morning. As a result, in the prime vacation weeks, traffic to/from can be quite heavy.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 09:54 AM
pam

Spring Lake is a lovely town. We go there quite often in the summer. I am not that wild about the beach. Either I go at a bad time, but it seems to have a fishy smell. I would also sugest Ocean City, N.J. It is also one of my favorites and is more of a beach town. LBI is also quite popular.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 10:57 AM
xxx

Good grief why New Jersey? I'd head further down the coast to the Outer Banks. The water temp in July or August will be mid eighties.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Pam

Which outer banks and where? Thanks

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Sarah

My family has always stayed in Ocean City in the 50"s on Ocean Avenue. This is a family town though and unless you are going with kids or looking to reminisce I would go to Maine. Too much cheese at the Jersey Shore. I do not want to offend anyone in New Jersey. I was born and raised there. It is just that it has such a history of pollution. I can remember summers of raw sewage leeks in Asbury that the press discovered. Just makes you wonder about the environmental problems that never make it to the press.

Going to Maine and coming from California you know you will have a temperature hike in the water. Still so much charm up there. If I was flying across the country I would certainly want to go to Maine. UNLESS I WAS MEETING FAMILY AT THE JERSEY SHORE.

Cape May is nice also only there are no houses directly on the beach. You kind of want that if you want to experience something of nature in these very crowded lots of home rentals. Maine might be different as homes are more spread out.

I think Spring Lake might be nice if you are already in Central New Jersey but it is too close to the industry of the North to make me comfortable with its waters.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Mike

While the Outerbanks are lovely (yet, wildly overrated), the Jersey Shore and Delmarva Beaches have a great charm. For people who grew up on the East Coast, I completely understand the attraction.

What about the more Southern NJ beaches like Cape May or Avalon?

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 11:09 AM
xxx

Outerbanks, North Carolina. Go to Hatteras, Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, or Duck. Gorgeous.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Beary

Pam, must your group go to the Jersey Shore? I haven't been to all areas of the shore, I've seen enough to know there are much nicer places on the East Coast. Maine is beautiful but you can get rocky coast and cold water in CA. I would suggest the Carolinas or South.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 12:36 PM
zootsi

Since I used to live on the Jersey shore but now live near the Maine coast, I'll try and compare them. The Jersey shore, despite it's bad rap, is actually a lot of fun. If you like to just hang out on the beach, swim, get some pizza, etc. the Jersey shore is a good option. Just realize it does get very crowded. As mentioned above, Long Beach Island is very nice, as is SpringLake(expensive!), Point Pleasant, Manasquan. Normandy Beach isn't bad, but those bungalows are close together. The Maine coast is a whole different vibe. The sandy beaches are less plentiful, the water is much colder (you can swim if you are a hearty soul) - but the scenery is what makes this area special. Even though the Maine coast does get crowds, there are hundreds of coves, villages, lighthouses and other places to explore. Most of the sandy, slightly warmer beaches are south of Portland (so are the crowds). As you proceed north, the coast gets rockier and cooler. Kennebunkport is a very nice area with some nice beaches, as is Boothbay, which is not really a beach town.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Sarah

Surprised at all the suggestion for North Carolina. Anyone I know that has stayed here has complained about bugs. Never been so can't comment but aren't green head flies a problem?

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 01:49 PM
jshore

I'm glad there are so many people on here w/negative stereotypes about the Jersey shore - you'll leave more space at the beach for the rest of us who know what you're missing.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Yes

Yes, you can have plenty of room on the Jersey Shore. Been there, done that, never again!

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Pam

Thank you everyone..I think the advice might lead us away from the shore. We did spend time in "Delmarva" last Fall and had a great time. It was charming and we were able to find honkey tonk with a day trip to Rehobeth...a day trip was all we needed of it though. Perhaps if go go with "shore" vs Maine we'll opt to look there.