Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What does it take to get a reservation? (NYC)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 06:28 AM
kim

Just called Becco exactly 1 month from when I need a Sat. night reservation. Called at 10:08 (they start taking reserv. at 10). I was put on hold for 15 minutes. When the host came back to the phone he told me that he had just booked up for pre-theater dining that night. Didn't ask for a time, didn't offer any alternatives, just an apologetic "we're booked". Is this for real?

Last month tried Il Mulino and they wouldn't even tell me how far in advance they accept reservations, just gave me the run around.

Any suggestions on how to get reservations in this town?

Kim

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 06:30 AM
xxx

Busiest time of the year. Keep calling to see if they have any cancellations.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 06:31 AM
xzxx

And don't try and go pre theater. You'll have better luck trying to dine there after 7:30 PM.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 06:36 AM
kim

Well, I am not go pre theater for the heck of it! I am actually going to the theater!

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 06:39 AM
ryan

Some places have their set regulars and management will hold tables for them. At a popular spot, like Il Mulino, it's not inconceivable that tables are being held for a several people, particularly at the prime dining hours.

My friend is the Executive Chef at a well known Upper East Side restaurant. There is a core group of people who dine there a few times a week and they have their regular tables. The owner will hold those tables even if these people haven't made a reservation. When it's clear they aren't coming, he'll give them away. One wealthy guy comes in 3 or 4 times a week with groups of 5 or 6 people. He'll easily spend $1,000 to $2,000 each time.

If you want a popular spot, that's unfortunately the way it goes sometimes. You shouldn't have a problem finding an alternative. BTW, if you happen to have an AMEX platinum card, you might want to use their conceirge service. I've gotten help from them several times on hard to get tables.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 06:40 AM
former nyc resident

Boy is this one of my pet peeves! I went thru the same nonsense with the Union Square Cafe and finally gave up on it. Then one night I was invited to Daniel with someone alot smarter than me, he had no reservation but when we entered he palmed the host a bill, I don't know if it was a $20 or a $50 or even a $100 (I didn't ask since he was paying) and we were immediately seated at a great table and proceeded to have a memorable dinner. Anyway if Becco means THAT much to you, and you want to go post-theatre (the other poster was 100% right on about pre-theatre but you do get rushed thru that way) then that is what you do. Alternatively you do it with the concierge at your hotel who gets the pay-off. I would assume $50 as a minimum. Otherwise just forget it. You will spend more than $50 in long distance charges if you live out of town and in the end, you will never get a reservation.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Lois

I second Ryan's recommendation for AmEx Platinum concierge service. But with so many good restaurants around the theaters, why torture yourself with the one or two places that can afford to treat you badly? I have never been to Il Mulino in 20 years in NY, because of the pressure to get a table.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 06:45 AM
former nyc resident

By the way, regarding Il Mulino. I went once and had the time of my life but it was preceeded by an extremely long wait at the bar despite actually having a reservation. Skip having a reservation there and skip the payoff, it is too small to make a difference. HOWEVER the owner is a character, when we were finally seated he insisted on selecting every dish and we ate and ate and ate and ate and ate, I will never forget the lobster diavalo as long as I live and he gave us the rest in a doggie bag, he insisted we stay until the place shut down, we drank grappa, he showed us the huge magnun gun he keeps to ward off robbers, we left kissing and embracing. There is zero logic to this place which is the charm. This is NOT a formula restaurant. So if you want to go, just GO. We were two pretty women and one guy. Kim, wear a short skirt, black hose, high heels and a low decollete and you won't have a problem, I am sure. I think the owner latches on to certain guests and it has nothing to do with regularity, just his mood.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 06:51 AM
nyer

kim:
With the thousands of restaurants (and there are thousands) screw any restarant that treats you like that.
Pick one out that you want to eat in, go to the Host or hostess and have an enjoyable meal.
It really ticks me off that expensive restaurants that treat everyday people like dirt still have folks clamoring to eat there!

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 06:53 AM
xxx

Because December is so busy, and what the previous poster said about holding tables, because you are a tourist, and because you want to eat pre-theater, you'll never get in.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Arlene

Kim - the restaurant Vice Versa is wonderful for Italian. Give them a call 212 399-9291
325 W. 51st St 'tween 8th and 9th Ave.

I believe they have a wesite. Check it out.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Lois

Oh yes--Vice Versa is strongly recommended. Also very good, a few doors down, is Maria Pia, which has a great table d'hote for $20. It's an extremely seedy block, but don't be put off. It is not unsafe at all.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Judy

I'm one of the people on the board who recommended Becco, but I meant it as a nice place with a decent pasta tasting at a good price. It's certainly not the be all and end all. There are so many other great little places around the theatre district that you shouldn't have a problem.

You might want to try Seahorse Grill on 8th & 48th as an alternative for good seafood.