Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Spring Lake - house rental? Vacation spot??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking into all kinds of vacation possibilities and heard good things about Spring Lake. Wondering what prices you might expect to pay for a house rental?

We are looking for a low key location - we live near Phila. In the past, we have really enjoyed Block Island (off the coast of RI), but have had trouble finding rentals because were unable to decide in Jan. Found it impossible to find something after that for August.

Any ideas??
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:52 AM

try posting on the nj.com ocean and monmouth forums

While Spring lake is nice (and expensive) it can't touch Block Island
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 07:14 AM

When I was single, I spent a summer in Spring Lake, as a house share, and it was simply wonderful. Spring Lake is a beautiful small town and known as the "Irish Riviera."
However, have you been up to look at the beach lately? It had been hit pretty hard by some storms and there has been some significant beach erosion. I don't know if that's been taken care of since the last time I was there.
I also was under the impression that house rentals were pretty rare in Spring Lake; I think they weren't allowed for a long time and the bias against rentals probably lingers (in our house share, one of the guys owned the house and we house shares were his 10 "cousins"). If you can't find anything,look into Sea Girt, the next town down (the towns run into each other).
Good luck and let me know if you can find anything. FYI, the movie Ragtime was filmed in Spring Lake.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 05:09 PM

I live a few towns north of Spring Lake. It is a nice place to visit. Many friends claim that it has the calmest ocean beach around. I think Avon has the calmest ocean beach. But both towns are quaint and fairly low key (compared to the other crazy towns nearby that Over-fill with day trippers). From what I have read in the classifieds, you can rent a house within 2-3 blocks of the ocean starting at $2000 per week. Check out the Asbury Park Press online at app.com for some listings. And good luck. Please let me know if I can offer any other advice.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 05:16 PM

I also live in the Philly suburbs. When we want to go for a day trip to the beach we choose Spring Lake. It is the closest beach to us. Prices, I know ther are many B&B's. They are very expensive. The beach is o.k. If you want to reduce costs, I would try another town as all ready suggested.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 12:25 PM

I live 2 towns over from Spring Lak and I know that ther have been many houses that where unable to rent this summer. Try to contact some of the smaller realestate agencies in town. You can find them in the Yellow pages. Its a great place to visit. Very low key, great restaurants in all the surrounding towns. I prefer the beach in SeaGirt myself but it just a preference.