Spring Lake accommodations

Old Feb 27th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spring Lake accommodations

Looking into visiting Spring Lake this summer. Does anyone know of any rental companies that rent oceanfront homes to accommodate 3 generations. Didnt really see any on the internet. Also the chamber lists many places to stay. Looking for something more upscale with a pool, oceanfront for my family. Any info would be helpful.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 11:14 AM

To the best of my recollection, there are no ocean front homes in Spring Lake, only a boardwalk, the street, and then homes across from the beach. There are no hotels on the ocean front. A good hotel in Spring Lake on the street facing the ocean is:

The Breakers
1507 Ocean Avenue
Spring Lake
Phone: (732) 449-7700 ~ Fax: (732) 449-0161
breakershotel.com

For ocean front homes that would be upscale you could try Bay Head and Mantaloking. Be prepared to pay something on the order of $10,000 a week and up for a large ocean front house in either town. Spring Lake homes will go for about the same, esp those near the lake.

To the best of my knowledge there are no ocean front hotels anywhere along the shore other than Atlantic City, although you may find some oceanfront B&Bs in Cape May.

Good luck getting a rental place for this summer this late in the year. . .
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 12:27 PM

The Breakers is no longer a hotel. It has been renovated and sold as condos.

You might want to visit a realtor in the area for assistance.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

I have never been to Spring Lake so pardon my ignorance but it sounds as though Spring Lake, obviously offers a lake as well as the ocean. I am actually looking for accommodations for the last week of May into the beg. of June. Is the lake near the ocean? Can you swim in the lake? I did look up the Breakers web site and it appears that they are still a hotel however I was looking for a house/condo with kitchen facilities. Cant find any relators in the area suprisingly.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 04:34 AM

I think Leona is thinking of the Essex and Sussex, which has indeed been turned into condos. I believe it is an adults-only community, so renting there would not be an option for a family, but it is worth asking. Diane Turton, the realtor mentioned below, sells condo units in the Essex and Susses, someone in her office should be able to confirm if children are allowed. The building is gorgeous and right across from the beach.

There is a lake in Spring Lake, and it is quite close to the beach, maybe ? of a mile. You cannot swim in it, and I don?t' think you can even boat on it, or at least I have never seen boaters, it is really just ornamental. It is quite not a huge lake (maybe ? mile in diameter), but it is pretty and there are some gorgeous homes around it and a beautiful Catholic Church.

One very good realtor in the area is Diane Turton, go to http://www.dianeturton.com

Also take a look at the on-line classifieds for shore rentals at http://www.nj.com/vacation/index.ssf...n/realclas.cgi. Main website is nj.com if that link does not work

Last week of May may be Memorial Day Weekend (I don?t' live the US currently and don't have a US calendar), you may find houses gone already as that is the beginning of the summer. However many schools are not finished for the year at that point, so you may still find houses for the last week in May, esp if Memorial Day weekend is the previous week, i.e. May 20th.

Old Feb 28th, 2004, 04:36 AM

OK, I hate Fodors software! The lake in Spring Lake is about a quarter-mile from the beach. The lake is about a half-mile in diameter.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 05:18 AM

I'll add that the lake is in the middle of town, in a very nice park. If you are think ing the kind of lake you could go swimming in, it's not that kind of a lake.

While there are plenty of upscale homes in Spring Lake, as mentioned, none are right on the beach. Many are large, older Victorian type houses which is part of Spring Lake's charm.

If you are looking for something right on the beach, try Bay Head, Mantoloking, or Long Beach Island (all of which are/have upscale scetions.)

Old Feb 29th, 2004, 03:32 PM

As others have said, a boardwalk and Ocean Ave. are between the houses and the beach. Most of the houses rent for the season or monthly and the only Condos are those previously mentioned which are age restricted.And they don't have a pool. Your time frame is probably considered off season since schools aren't out until the end of June. The ocean is too cold to swim then. Seasonal rentals usually start June 15. Check the Asbury Park Press on line for rentals.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 02:24 PM

Spring Lake tends to have strict rules regarding the rental of houses - especially for more than one family. Mantoloking and bay head also belmar and avon areas may be a bit easier to find properties this time of year.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 09:25 PM

Oh wow! You folks are making me sooo homesick for my undergrad days when I worked in Ocean Grove for four summers. Any Fodorites familiar with Ocean Grove?