Jersey Boys-best seating question??

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Jersey Boys-best seating question??

In your opinion, where are the best seats for Jersey Boys? Would we be making a mistake to buy front mezz. tickets? Is this a musical you'd prefer seats in the center orchestra? I am not familiar with the August Wilson Theatre seating. (I did look at their seating map, but I still need advise.)
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:25 AM

Katiekate--I am mostly answering this so you won't fall too far down on the board; we sat in the orchestra--actually my husband and I sat a row apart since I only bought them 3 weeks ahead and there were no seats together left.

The way the show is staged, I think you will be okay in the mezzanine but hopefully someone who has sat there in this theatre will see your question.

In any case, as I said before, it is a very enjoyable show.

Mary
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Hopefully, others will respond also.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 12:17 PM

I am not familiar with this theatre but I sit in the front row mezzanine a lot. Are you able to get center orchestra seats? I know this show is very popular right now. I of course would take center orchestra over mezzine if they are close enough. Check the theater seating chart to see which row the mezzine hangs over. I would not buy orchestra seats in the rows under the mezzine. Front row mezzine (at least to me)are much better than the back of the orchestra.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Boy I sure couldn't spell mezzanine in that last post. That's what happens when you are typing fast.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Paula: And, yes, it is hard to spell! At this particuliar theatre,the front mezzanine row a overhangs orchestra row L, 11th from first row.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 01:26 PM

Depending on what orchestra row you can get, I would probably pick mezz if you are far back in the orchestra section. You might also want to look at seats in orch right and left as long as they are not towards the end of the row.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 02:21 PM

we saw it last weekend. we were in orchestra, on the right side, about ten rows down from the back (I was a guest and don't have my tickets for exact row) but our group took up the eight seats from the aisle in and it was fine. most of the action was front and center on the stage, if that helps.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Yes, that helps, thanks. What did you think of the musical? Did you love it?
Did you notice anyone in the audience standing and moving to the music?
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 09:38 AM

katiekate: From your post I am thinking I should be going to the Jersey Boys with you.... I wanted to go stand up in the back so I could move. I don't know what other shows have been like, but at ours, I couldn't keep my feet still or my hands, and tried not to rock and roll too bad for the guy sitting behind me, but no one else seemed to be moving at all - but I think this is because of the way the story flowed andyou will understand once you see it. The crowd loved it, applause was plenty, but not a lot of moving. No one stood like at a concert, probably b/c we were "on broadway" - and maybe that just isn't done even with this type of music, - everyone stayed sitting and barely moving except for me in our entire area and of what I could see of orchestra. The only time people stood and 'moved' was during finale song. But I love to dance and if this had been a concert would have been up many times.... I do undersand though why it wouldn't have been possible for all the standing and dancing - I think b/c of the flow of the show, with the story being the main line and the music in between it would have been difficult and interrupted the flow if people kept standing and the actors had to wait then for people to get resettled for the speaking/story parts - I am guessing that is why, but who knows. Maybe someone else who has seen it has a different experience.

Yes, I loved the show. It's not rocket science, it's not "theater," - it's not earth shattering in it's set or design or story - but it is a well told story of the group, how it came to be, the obstacles they faced, and the music is wonderful, esp if you grew up loving tht music like I did... as everyone around us said, music is powerful and you can remember exactly where you were and what you were doing when each song played - who you were dating, kissing, or dancing with... or just cruising in the car with the windows open on a sunny day singing with your friends.... or the guy in front of me who said the music kept him going on the beaches of Vietnam...you will enjoy it if you like this music.

Someone bought me both the cd from the show and the best of the 4 seasons cd they sell at the show also, and I am particularly enjoying the cd of the show itself, so if you choose one I would recommend that one.

Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Wow, escargot what a great reply and thank you. You answered so many question all in one post. I can hear a song and it can take me back to such precious memories. I'm in my late 40's, but my daughter loves much of the same oldies I cherish. If I can get JB tickets w/o paying broker prices, I will buy them.
You said "it's not "theater," - it's not earth shattering in it's set or design or story, but it is a well told story of the group, how it came to be,... " If I may ask, IYO what do you feel are the top "theater" plays/musicals now on Broadway. I'm just curious.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 02:03 PM

Jersey Boys is a very enjoyable show, I shouldn't have said what I meant by "theater" - plays/shows/musicals/- 'theater' is such a personal preference.
Everyone has their own take and as long as a person enjoyed themselves and their night at whatever they went to, that's what is important. Different things "sing" to different people, as does art, photography, etc.

I guess when I say 'theater' I think more of the, what I would call, meaningful things that for me, are usually off broadway or off-off broadway, some of which make it into the mainstream - broadway just sometimes to me seems to be the things that can appeal to a broader audience and bring in the money, which doesn't mean they aren't enjoyable.

I get tired of so many of the 'disney goes broadway' with the exception of Lion King, although I also love that things like that, a Beauty and the Beast say, brings a kid to the theater and exposes them to more than tv and video and maybe they will then explore other options in theater in general, like plays.

I like to mix it up. I enjoy popular broadway musicals, but also love the off, offoff stuff esp the Shakespeare plays (Measure for Measure, As you Like it, etc that smaller groups put on that are usually quite excellent) and a good way to introduce kids to understanding shakespeare better too and looking at it in a different light than just reading it b/c they ahve to in school.

Doesn't mean I don't enjoy fun - I loved 25th annual Putnam County Spelling Bee before it make it big, and am glad it did. I saw that whwen I was also seeing a 'big' broadway production, Mama Mia, and also saw Doubt the same weekend, which I thought was marvelous, so that's what I mean by mixing it up. Anyway, other shows I've enjoyed recently have included: Movin' Out (I love dance and movement/Billy Joel songs and loved Michael Cavanaughs voice) , the new Sweeney Todd is great, and I loved Spamalot - it's a musical, big, fun, but full of great MP side jokes and glances - I liked Long Days Journey into Night, some didn't, it's all personal.

I just like to encourage people to sometimes try things other than Beauty and Beast, any Andrew Lloyd Weber (although i did love Les Miz and Phantom) set design, music, etc.

I liked Wicked and Hairspray, but didn't love them like others did. I hated Woman in White and thought the set was terrible and the story disjointed and thougth it only made it as far as it did b/c it is ALWeber.

So I don't know if that helps. I love all shows/ silly, musical, nonsense, check your brain at the door and just having fun (which is what Mama Mia, Jersey Boys, Wicked, Hairspray was to me) and mixing it up with ones that make you think or are more plays than musical theater and have some thought.

Best to do is go online, to something even as simple as a Theatermania.com, and read a lot of different reviews. There are a lot of shows in NYC for far less than broadway that are great theater that are often overlooked.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 08:43 AM

I saw Jersey Boys from about mid-mezz, and was just fine with it. I think front mezz would be excellent.

People didn't stand up and move much until the curtain call (thank goodness!), but there were people humming along loudly. Try not to do that if possible But I agree that it's hard to keep your toes from tapping at least!

Not to get into a huge debate, because I think escargot explained the opinion well, but I felt that JB had some very theatrical moments. No, it's not "serious theater," but I wouldn't dismiss it as fluff either. It is well-staged, and the book flows extremely well. Rather than just being a rock concert on stage, I think it was put together with a very theatrical eye from start to finish.

Enjoy- you'll have a great time!