Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NY Theater Gurus, Which Broadway Seats are the Best for Sound and Sight Quality?

NY Theater Gurus, Which Broadway Seats are the Best for Sound and Sight Quality?

Old Mar 15th, 2004, 09:59 AM
TC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a theater excursion to Broadway in June. Buying advance tickets for some shows. Most have choice of 1.) Center Orchestra about half way back in theater, but sometimes under Mezz overhang (ie; Row M, Seat 101). 2.) Side Orchestra close to front of theater, but nearer to wall (ie; Row D, Seat 13). 3.) Front Center Mezz, (Row 2, middle seat) Row 1 seats in Mezz are now "Premium" seats and go for double face value.

It has been my experience in some productions that the location of side or under the mezz overhang seats can have distorted sound due to mic set up. What is your opinion of this?

Specifically interested in your opinions regarding Boy from Oz @ Imperial Theater, Wonderful Town @ Al Hirshfield Theater, Movin Out @ Richard Rogers Theater, Sly Fox @ Ethel Barrymore Theater or Wicked @ Gershwin Theater.

Thanks to all theater buffs for advice.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 10:15 AM

I'm a little confused about exactly what you want to know. Considering the fact that all theater auditoriums are different, I don't don't how to answer your question about individual locations.
The only "given" to me of the locations you've mentioned is second row center, front mezzanine. You're fairly safe with that seat!
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 10:22 AM

I have to agree with HowardR. We had front mezzanine seats, second row center for the Lion King and they were great.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 11:50 AM

I agree, I also like front mezz seats. Since the mezz hangs out over the orchestra (generally), the front mezz seats are closer than the middle/rear orchestra. So, I either try to get front orchestra or front center mezz.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 02:11 PM

We generally prefer front row center of first mezzanine for musicals with large cast. Depending upon the theater, though, the front wall of the mezzanine may be a bit high when you're relaxed in your seat (as opposed to sitting up or a bit forward), or worse have a raised brass railing obstructing your view unless you're tall - whereupon the second or third row are better.

Center orchestra, even if under the Mezzanine, should be just fine. I've never experienced any distorted sound.

For Sly Fox, front and center orchestra would be best so as to be able to see all the action and all the people. Throughout the play, things are happening on both far sides of the stage, so I'd not recommend orchestra seats on the left or right (between aisle and wall). But, it depends upon the theater.

"Row 1 seats in Mezz are now "Premium" seats and go for double face value." Interesting...
"
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 02:41 PM

I enjoy being up close for dramas and comedies and back a bit sometimes is better for musicals. Three or four rows back in the center mezz is fine , as the railing can be a problem sometimes on front row mezz.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 03:57 PM

Add me to the list who agree that generally speaking the center of second row of the first mezzanine should be the best. In almost all theatres I hate being in the orchestra more than one or two rows behind the overhang of the mezzanine. That's when all the sound invariably sounds garbled to me. It sounds like a musical you're talking about, and often the choreography is better enjoyed from the higher view of the mezzanine. (Again, of course, depending upon the show and theatre).