Jenny Lake Lodge or Jackson Lake Lodge ?

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:53 PM
Linda

Jenny Lake Lodge or Jackson Lake Lodge ?

We will be in the area in late August for just a few days. We have never been in this area so we don't know anything. We are planning to stay at the Red Lion Inn for one night and then move on to Jenny Lake Lodge or Jackson Lake Lodge. What lodge should we stay at, Jenny Lake is expensive but sound very nice.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 06:39 AM
Howard

It's no brainer! If it's within your budget, then definitely stay at the Jenny Lake Lodge!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 06:40 AM
helen

The view of the Teton Mountains across Jackson Lake from Signal Mountain Lodge are terrific. If you can be there are sunset you can get some spectacular photos with the Teton range silhouetted in the background.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 06:44 AM
gc

Jackson Lake Lodge is a fairly busy property, including rooms and cabins. The lobby area has a huge window that looks over a broad meadow where moose roan, Jackson Lake, and the Grand Teton range.

We've stayed at Jackson Lake Lodge twice and found it very nice...the horseback ride out to the cowboy dinner (beans and hotdogs with cowboy songs by the campfire) sounds tacky, but is a lot of fun.

We've never stayed at Jenny Lake Lodge, but my understanding is that it is more elegant, catering to an empty-nester crowd.

Depending upon what you want, I would also suggest Colter Bay Village. It is more downscale than the other two, but offers large, clean cabins at a reasonable price. You can literally watch the deer and the antelope play from your doorstep.

You will love the Grand Tetons!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 09:09 AM
amy

We stayed at Signal Mountain Lodge and loved it. Jenny Lake was not in our budget and Jackson Lake Lodge was booked (a wildlife photographer convention). I was glad we didn't get into Jackson Lake Lodge, a convention wasn't what I was looking for on that vacation. Jenny Lake is beautiful, we had lunch at the restaurant, and it was good, but pricey (as is all of Jenny Lake). Jenny Lake seems like more of a retreat than Jackson Lake Lodge, probably b/c of the crowds. Signal Mountain Lodge has a variety of accomodations, we had a 'rustic cabin', which was a log structure, with a small porch facing the lake, we had a moose eating the shrubs outside our cabin one morning (can't get much closer to them than that), and it was a great location for touring the park. It isn't too far from Jackson Lake lodge, where we took a horseback tour, and Signal Mountain offers Snake River scenic raft tours, although they weren't running in late September (we went with Barker-Ewing, a very good tour). We didn't spend much time in our room - up early for our daily activities, and out to dinner each night, so we were perfectly happy with our location. You'll enjoy GTNP!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Steven

Just returned from that area. I heartily recommend Signal Mountain Lodge! I have previously stayed at Jackson Lake Lodge and although it was ok (rooms left a little to be desired) I'm so glad we decided to try Signal Mountain Lodge this time. It was absolutely wonderful. We stayed in one of the rustic cabins (for 2) and actually used our fireplace one night (it was cold that first night). My wife liked the nice big bathroom. We stayed a total of 3 nights and it was just was just a fantastic experience. We think there was a wolf howling outside our cabin one night. It was nice to sit out on our own private porch every evening. What was really great was the fact we could park our car RIGHT in front of our cabin...so no hauling lots of luggage to our room. It was so quiet and peaceful and serene. From now on it's SML! A short distance from our cabin were the shores of Jackson Lake, as well as the registration building which housed a couple of large rooms with chairs, couches, big picture windows, free coffee in the morning, a piano(???) and what's supposed to be the ONLY television in the entire Grand Teton National Park system. (I admit we watched it once!) Downstairs in that same building are 3 sets of washers and dryers, which we used. Next door to that building is another building with 2 very good restaurants, a bar and 2 gift shops. And next to that is a gas station and convenience store. We went over to Jackson Lake Lodge to eat once and my wife said she was glad we weren't staying there because it was so noisy and there were LOTS of people milling about. Not at all comparable to the peaceful setting we had over at Signal Mountain (about a 5 to 10-minute drive away). Btw, I had previously stayed at JLL (2 years ago) but she had not. I thought the rooms were not up to par and the place was just too massive and touristy. But sitting in our cabin at SML, listening to the sounds of various wildlife, for us it was heaven. We had everything we needed nearby and life was good!

P.S. I have not stayed at Jenny Lake, but from what I've heard it's a place geared for empty-nesters as well as people who prefer to get dressed up to go out to eat in a national park. Definitely not us!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 05:21 PM
linda

Thank you all for helping me choose between Jenny Lake Lodge and Jackson Lake Lodge. I decided not to go to either of them. You all made Signal Mountain Lodge sound so good I called and was able to reserve a lake front suite. Although Jenny Lake Lodge looked very nice we will be taking our 13 year old son and he and his dad would like to be more casual. Thank you again for your advise!

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 03:37 AM
Anne

Linda,
I think you made a good choice. There will be much more for a 13-year old to do at Signal Mountain Lodge. Jenny Lake, while beautiful, is much more of an adult place. Though we did not stay at Signal Mountain, we went over there to take their evening float trip and saw that there was lots to do. Have fun!