Notices

Signal Mt - Grand Teton

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 06:24 AM
sluggo

Signal Mt - Grand Teton

I'm making reservations in the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone national parks for our trip in mid-June. I'm considering the lakefront cabins ($182) at Signal Mt but wonder if they are that much better than the "rustic cabins" ($95) or the two-room cabins ($127). I'd love to wake up to a view of the lake and mountains but do the lakefronts have unobstructed views -- or might I be looking at the back of another cottage as well as the lake? The lakefront cabins are available for our dates. Thank you.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 07:54 AM
Ashley

We spent 8 days in Yellowstone/Grand Tetons in September - what a awesome vacation! Stayed at Signal Mtn. We had reservations for lakefront cabin but when we arrived, we did not like the fact they were connected (4 units each bldg.), wanted more privacy. From what I saw, there were no obstructions, they had full lake views, positioned along edge of lake. We ended up with the largest cabin, a stand alone, not a full lake view since we were near entrance but had our own porch and we needed all the space. The furnishings were pretty worn out considering the price. But nothing is cheap in that area. Next time we will stay closer to Jackson. We did not like being so far from decent food. Lodging in the park, you are from from Jackson if you want to drive home after dinner, dodging animals along the way in the dark. Jackson Lake Lodge looked nice, it was more expensive than Signal, but had a gorgeous view of the moose refuge area. The food at their "nice" restaurant was awful (as was the service). The "diner" next door was better.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 10:31 AM
Kathy

We stayed in a lakefront cabin in August 2001 and I think they are worth the extra money. There were no obstructed views and the view of the lake and mountains was the prettiest I've seen. The units themselves are nothing fancy but the whole experience of staying at Signal Mountain was great.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 02:11 PM
sluggo

Thank you for your comments, Ashley and Kathy. I went ahead and booked the lakefront for 2 nights.

I started to panic about getting what we want in Yellowstone for our mid-June trip and learned that I was almost too late. Nothing was available at the Old Faithful Snow Lodge & Cabins, Old Faithful Inn (rooms w/o bath still available), Roosevelt Lodge Cabins (cabins w/o bath still available) and perhaps others. I booked Frontier cabins at Old Faithful Lodge (2 nights) and Mammoth Hot Springs (2 nights).

I also learned that the road from Roosevelt to Canyon might be closed for construction this summer!

Ashley - Thanks to your comment about Jackson, we booked one night there before heading into the park. (We'll apply the money saved to the price of the lakefront!) And thanks for your tip regarding Jackson Lake Lodge dining.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 04:09 PM
Amy

We stayed at Signal Mountain in Sept. 01 - we had a rustic cabin, not lakefront, but from our front porch, we could see the lake. (Don't book the "country room" - basic motel room. We had cabin 133, I remember, b/c I think we would ask for it again. The food at Signal Mountain was good - we had dinner at the 'nicer' restaurant, and breakfast at the 'family' restaurant. I would not stay in Jackson myself, it depends on what is important to you. Jackson didn't hold much appeal for me, I didn't see the point in shopping when you could be in the middle of the most georgeous views and scenery. (and the dinner we had in Jackson was no better than Signal Mtn lodge.) Jackson Lake lodge was absolutely packed with people (too much for me), and I had the opposite dining experience - we had dinner there one night (good, expensive) and breakfast in the diner on morning (very bad). We did have a nice lunch at Jenny Lake lodge, we combined it with the hike to the observation point at the other side of Jenny Lake. Jackson Lake Lodge has activities you can do, even if you don't stay there - we did the horseback ride. We also did a scenic float trip down the Snake - highly recommend that. (Barker-Ewing, but they were the only group running trips that late in the season). This was one of our best vacations - you'll love it!