Grand Teton & Lodges

Search

Grand Teton & Lodges

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Teton & Lodges

I am trying to decide between Jenny Lake Lodge, Lake Jackson Lodge, Signal Mountain Lodge and Colter Bay Village for a couple of nights visit in September 2009. Can you give me any recommendations? I don't mind spending the money at Jenny Lake & like being in that area, but am concerned when it says men should wear jackets for dining. We are a jeans & t-shirt couple and I don't want to stay someplace too "ritzy" where we would not feel comfortable.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 10:27 AM

We've stayed a week each at both Jenny Lake Lodge and Jackson Lake Lodge. Enjoyed the Jenny Lake emensely - just a beautiful place with excellent food. In setting and decor, it's not that ritzy. Just very nice. And when we were there, "jacket" did not include a tie. [don't know if this makes a difference or not]. Easy access to the great hiking across the Lake.

But if the jacket issue would make you too uncomfortable, we thoroughly enjoyed Jackson Lake as well. Gorgeous setting on the edge of the wetlands, lots of wildlife. We had a room on the "backside" to the left of the main lodge with an unobstructed view of the Tetons - unforgetable. Food good, but not on par with Jenny Lake. Lots of activities.

If you don't stay at Jenny Lake, a dinner there is still very worthwhile.

FWIW, we were to stay one year in a cabin at Coulter Bay. It was not at all clean, could see the ground through the boards in the floor - we didn't stay. We may have just been very unlucky.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 11:50 AM
AlJ

Here's a link to some pictures from our trip. We had a mountain view room at Jackson Lake. Very nice as you can see.

http://www.alandsuejohnson.com/grand...ton_day_1.html

Click on the first picture. Then click on the right edge of the pictures to see the next one. There's pictures showing the view at Signal Mountain.

Personally, I'm not interested in spending what Jenny Lake wants.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 12:20 PM

We stayed at Colter and it was just fine. I would have even stayed in the tent cabins, but that is where my wife draws the line, she has to have a bathroom.

When I am in a National Park I want to be able to be in my hiking shoes, etc.

My mother says the cabins @ Jackson were horrible. They looked pretty much like the cabins in Colter. So, it just depend on what you like and expect. I didn't see much difference in the cabins at Colter Village or Roosevelt that we stayed at. The walls at the lodges are very thin, so you can hear everything going on next door. With the cabins you don't have the noise.

Did you decide to go with Yellowstone Institute for 4 nights?

If you want to add one more to your list there is Dornans. Not sure what they have to stay in, but there is a super good food store they operate and a decent restaraunt right @ the entrance of the park.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 12:25 PM

I read your other post now. I like to go at my own pace as well. I'll visit with you on Alaska when you start making plans for it, it was a very good trip. You don't have to plan so far in advance for lodging there.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 12:30 PM

We have stayed at Jackson Lake Lodge and Colter Bay. Colter Bay cabins are bare bones log cabins. Ours was fine, but looked out on the loading dock for the restaurant next door. We had a view room at JLL. The room was nice, and the view was incredible. We had a small patio looking out on those spectacular mts. There is a park ranger with a scope on the terrace behind the hotel in the evening, pointing out wildlife. From what I hear, Jenny Lake is nice, but overpriced for what you get. Lots of people on this board rave about Signal Mt. I haven't stayed there, but have seen it. I didn't like how it was set on a large parking lot, and it seemed a lot busier than the area we stayed in at JLL.